Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cioppino  (Read 760 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Cioppino
« on: December 08, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
So tonight, i branched out a bit and flexed my culinary skills and made some cioppino.

JR with this being a dish from your gender confuzzled area, i will put this up against any and all you can recommend.

Here is the recipe link...(give me a minute and ill copy and paste it here.):

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cioppino-seafood-stew-with-gremolata-toasts-51248830

now let me also add that I used
- 1qt of my homemade stewed tomatoes
- 1qt of my homemade tomatoe sauce
- omitted the squid...(because that shiza is disgusting!)
- omitted the clams...(just because they didnt have any good looking ones at the seafood store)
- omitted the crab....for the pure fact that its not in season right now and its amlonst impossible to get here in a some what fresh state!
- added huge diver scallops

Ingredients

3 garlic cloves, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup packed sliced fennel
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/2 pound cleaned squid, bodies sliced into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles halved lengthwise if large
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup dry white wine
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
1 1/2 cups seafood stock or vegetable broth
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 baguette, sliced and toasted1 pound littleneck clams, soaked in water for 1 hour
1/2 pound medium tail-on shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
1/2 pound skinless flaky white fish such as bass, halibut, hake, or cod, cut into 1-inch pieces

PREPARATION

Mince 2 of the garlic cloves. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, fennel, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and red-pepper flakes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is golden and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Reduce heat to medium-low and add squid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squid is opaque and tender and the released juices reduce, 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomato paste and oregano and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

Add wine, raise heat to medium-high, and cook until cooking liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice, bay leaves, clam juice, and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the butter, 1 tablespoon parsley, lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together. Cut remaining garlic clove in half and rub the cut sides on the toasts. Spread the flavored butter on the toasts.

When ready to serve, heat the pot to medium and add clams, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and mussels. Arrange the fish on top of the stew, cover, and simmer until shellfish opens and fish and shrimp are firm and opaque, about 5 minutes more. Discard bay leaves and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.

Serve cioppino immediately in large soup bowls with gremolata toasts alongside.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:14:57 PM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cioppino
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
Nate, those mussel shells go down whole or are your teeth good enough to grind them into small enough pieces to enjoy?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Cioppino
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »
Drop them in alive/closed and they pop open in about 5 minutes.  Grab a hold of the shell and pluck the meat out with a fork.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal