VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Drones, Boats, Flying and Floating Things

Boating Safety Checklist

<< < (15/15)

TexasRedNeck:
bullet dodged.  I'd probably get a new prop and keep that one as a spare..

EL TATE:

--- Quote from: Bob/OlallaWa on June 26, 2017, 06:39:39 PM ---Sorry about the prop. Hope you used the heck out of that boat this past weekend

--- End quote ---

We did get lots of fun out of it after the prop was changed out!

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on June 26, 2017, 08:48:58 PM ---bullet dodged.  I'd probably get a new prop and keep that one as a spare..

--- End quote ---

I am keeping the old prop for now, but so far have not been able to find anyone to repair and balance for less than $100, same as I can get a new prop for.

--- Quote from: Dawg25385 on June 26, 2017, 07:08:36 PM ---Tate, make yourself a dedicated buoy line... use some heavy nylon rope, one of these (https://tinyurl.com/yacp87an), and a big stainless carabiner, and then moor from the bow winch eyelet. Not sure if you said you were mooring from the eyelet or the cleat, but by mooring from there, it will keep the bow up in big chop and wind too. Another trick is to run your buoy line through a pool noodle, this not only makes it easy to grab when going to hook up, but the rigidity it provides keeps your bow off the buoy when slack  :beercheers:.

THEN, use a bowline slightly longer than your buoy line by a couple feet, tied from the buoy to your bow cleat as a backup.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, smoother water on the horizon my friend!

--- End quote ---

This is exactly how I have it now. Pool noodle is a great idea and adds high visibility, really great tip! I did have it only on the cleat and the line was just too long, but the noodle would have prevented everything that transpired. (however I might not have learned to anchor to the bow winch eyelet had it not come loose).

Dawg25385:
Yeah, in high winds, with a high chop, if tied off from the bow cleat, the buoy will effectively pull the bow down since its such a tall anchor point. By anchoring to the winch eyelet, it gives you much more bow to brunt the oncoming chop against a high wind, makes the bow want to crest a wave rather than cut under it. Learned that the hard way in Chelan, where the wind can kick up and produce a nasty swell...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version