Hello Guest

Author Topic: Redneck Dually Build Thread  (Read 61015 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Redneck Dually Build Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »
Finally got tired of the antenna hitting the beams in the parking garage.  I'm an angry old white guy so I have to maintain some decent AM reception to listen to my radio....Rush, Mark Levin, Michael Berry, Matt Patrick, etc.  Found this on Amazon....(is there anything you can't get on Amazon?)  21 inches tall.

Easy install with the supplied adapters.  Neat clean and almost factory.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »
How's the reception; up to angry white gun and bible clinging standards?  Remember that you didn't build that while you're at it would you!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
I'd say reception is about 80%,  you don't really notice until you get underground or around big buildings
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
Well, here is an unwanted update.

On the way to my last meeting of the day I was sitting stopped in traffic on the freeway and a guy not paying attention never hit his brakes.

I don't think I've been hit that hard in a long long time.  Hard enough the airbag tried to fire.  Smelled like smoke inside.  I actually pulled my Glock to make sure it hadn't gone off because I couldn't think of anything that smelled like that.

Drove the bed into the cab and bent the trailer hitch.  His Tundra was towing a 12ft utility trailer with a mower and some other equipment.  You can see he had a ranch hand bumper on the front and his truck was not drivable.

So I declined a tow and climbed back in to find the "service airbag" light on.  That's when it hit me that I probably shouldnt be driving it for fear that the bag might deploy while I'm driving down the road.

So I'm on hold with a rental car company while i type this.  Hoping to find a half ton truck to rent and get a rollback to come get my truck.

Gonna need a new bed, trailer hitch, receiver, and repair to the tailgate and cab and who knows what else....

Praise the Lord no one was seriously hurt.  My head and neck are sore but I'm hoping that goes away in a day or two.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »
Ohhhhhh man!!! That stinks!

I'll say a prayer for you that your neck pain is short-lived, and that the bus gets all fixed up good as new.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »
Thanks Kyle, prayers are always welcome, but the Bus is safe and sound in the shop at the other house.

The kids call this one the Dually

This is the Bus.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:45:16 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2015, 05:56:42 PM »
Ohhhhhh man!!! That stinks!

I'll say a prayer for you that your neck pain is short-lived, and that the bus gets all fixed up good as new.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

Ditto everything Dawg said....I am sorry to hear that but glad you're okay....prayers sent that your pain is not long lasting!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
Ahh sorry, got them mixed up. Regardless, prayers on the way.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2015, 06:01:22 PM »
Wow that's quite a shot.
Glad all were ok and prayers for short lived pain.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
Here's praying that the pain leaves quickly and you have hassle free repairs for the truck.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm going to self medicate with a toddy and a hot shower and see how it goes.

Apparently there is a recall affecting Dodges so rental trucks are hard to come by

The Lord granted me a zen moment.  My old self would have wanted to have inflicted some body work on the guy but He granted me some level headedness and the I was able to deal with it without bearing a bad witness.  I'm grateful he has insurance and he was apologetic.  Just glad my family was not with me

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 06:23:49 PM »
Wow !!! I'm sorry that happened to you man. I know you like your truck...

It sure made a mess out of that taco.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »
Yeah, imagine had he not had the ranch hand on it!

Ken, what do I need to looking at to make sure the repairs are complete and done right? 

I know the complete receiver hitch needs to be replaced after a big hit (did you see the bent hitch??)

How do I know which airbag tried to fire? or do they need to replace them all?

The seatbelt pre tensioner went off too I guess because the belt is hard to pull.

I assume the bed will come off and we'll inspect the frame, or should I demand they put it on the frame machine and take measurements?

Anything else I need to pay attention to?

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »
The truck can be fixed or replaced, glad you are were not injured more severely. Best of luck for speedy recovery on you and the Dually.
2008 GMC 3500 HD CCLB Dually with EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »
I am no frame expert for sure but I think a good body shop (and you should require that) would check everything with lasers and GM specs. I am sure others will chime in with better information.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
I'm not a body man brother, but you're on the right track. I would pull up some big shops (dealers=dealer parts), check out their rep on the web, talk to them and tell them up front and to the point "I'm picky, I want a first class job, I want GM parts (not china) and if it isn't right I'll notice" etc. It's not well known, but dealers do NOT have to use oem parts, and many don't, just to stay competitive. You are one of the best people at conveying your thoughts and concerns, so just talk to them.
If the bags didn't pop, they won't. The smell you noticed was from the pretensioner charge....just like a .22 round.
If it hit that hard, enough to bend the hitch, I would assume the frame is at least tweaked. I would think that a good shop will rack it just to be sure, before they estimate the job. If not, request it...I would for sure!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »
Many more thanks guys.

Ken, so why is the service airbag light on?  Is that part of the pretensioner fault circuit?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
Probably.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2015, 07:19:50 PM »
So are you sure about the airbag not going off?  Ive heard stories.....

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:27 PM »
Some info:

SIR System Overview
The supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system supplements the protection offered by the seat belts. The SIR system contains an inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM), air bags, seat belt pretensioner (retractor), and impact sensors. The SDM determines the severity of a collision with the assistance of impact sensors located at strategic points on the vehicle. When the SDM detects a collision, the SDM will process the information provided by the sensors to further support air bag or pretensioner deployment. The SDM will deploy the air bags and pretensioners if it detects a collision of sufficient force. If the force of the impact is not sufficient to warrant air bag deployment, the SDM may still deploy the seat belt pretensioners. The SDM contains a sensing device that converts vehicle velocity changes to an electrical signal. The SDM compares these signals to values stored in memory. If the signals exceed a stored value, the SDM will determine the severity of the impact and either cause current to flow through the frontal deployment loops deploying the frontal air bags and pretensioners, or it will deploy the pretensioners only. The SDM continuously monitors the deployment loops for malfunctions and illuminates the SIR system AIR BAG indicator if a fault is detected.The SDM performs continuous diagnostic monitoring of the SIR system electrical components. Upon detection of a circuit malfunction, the SDM will set a DTC and inform the driver by illuminating the SIR system AIR BAG indicator. The steering column and knee bolsters are designed to absorb energy and compress during frontal collisions in order to limit leg movement and decrease the chance of injury to the driver and passenger.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
wow.  Dr. Ken. Thank you sir. I feel much better.  I was driving it home with my hand barely holding the bottom of the wheel underhand in case the bag went off.....

Still gonna make them rent me an F250 super crew...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
Glad you are safe brother, sorry about the dully.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
Just seeing this

RN, glad you're OK

That Tundra took a beating from the dually!

Ah, trucks and truck parts are replaceable

God protected both of you, looks like!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »
I'm confused though....I can understand the system deploying the seat belt pretensions only if the crash is not sufficient but what would the charge be that ignited but didn't deploy the airbags? I thought airbags deployed with liquid nitrogen that turn to gas so fast that they inflate the airbag?  I got burned on the face (not bad but like a mild sunburn) when one deployed in an accident.....why would it "go off" but the bag not deploy?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
I forgot to mention, it looks like the toyota guy must have really wanted to be like hitch hater mike kimbro.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2015, 09:54:44 PM »
I'm confused though....I can understand the system deploying the seat belt pretensions only if the crash is not sufficient but what would the charge be that ignited but didn't deploy the airbags? I thought airbags deployed with liquid nitrogen that turn to gas so fast that they inflate the airbag?  I got burned on the face (not bad but like a mild sunburn) when one deployed in an accident.....why would it "go off" but the bag not deploy?

They are all pyrotechnically deployed, even the pretensioners. We (I) think what Tex heard and smelled was just the seatbelt pyros. I have set some off at the shop for fun, and some of them sound like a .22 firing (near your ear). They can be pretty loud, and smelly.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
ROFL Nate, for sure.  that hitch took a lot of the abuse.

Yes, Ken and I chatted earlier and it seems that the pre tensioners blew on both front seats even though I was the only occupant.  The passenger belt is permanently tensioned against the B pillar and the diver's I was wearing is permanently where it was when I was wearing it.  No movement in or out.

Ken the rear seats must not have them because those belts were fine.

I drove it about 70 miles this evening on the highway to get a rear tine garden tiller and it tracks good so I'm hopeful no serious frame damage.

Still a little wonky in the head from the impact.  I've lead with my face in a few scraps and I can't remember being hit this hard.  I noticed that the sunroof cover, which was closed before I got hit, was halfway open when I looked at it tonight.  The truck shot forward fast enought to open the shade on the sunroof.....

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2015, 11:20:53 PM »
Still a little wonky in the head from the impact.  I've lead with my face in a few scraps and I can't remember being hit this hard.  I noticed that the sunroof cover, which was closed before I got hit, was halfway open when I looked at it tonight.  The truck shot forward fast enought to open the shade on the sunroof.....

Sounds like a pretty hard impact hoss... You're gonna be sore tomorrow. Take it easy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
I had another look after reading some more.
I totally missed the rolled up ball, wow that was a hit.
to bend 3/4" steel is a lot of energy.
Now hearing it opened the sunroof shade, wow, hope you're feeling better!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2015, 01:54:20 PM »
Glad everyone is OK Redneck.

Up here, we have a word for those driving small trucks towing trailers with lawn care equipment...

You're lucky that he had insurance!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:13:54 PM by nmeyer414 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
Glad you are OK. I hate the smell of safety equip., mostly airbags! I know the fords we drove actually had a shot type shell in the seatbelt to tighten it up. Surprised it deployed from a rear hit?

Does show the need for a real rear bumper (i am guilty too)

I would bet the frame is OK. They replaced the whole side of my bed when my wife ran into a poll getting coffee one day.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
Update.  As expected I'm moving slower today.  No shooting pains when moving head or neck or back so probably just a matter of time.  I did unbolt and remove the 5th wheel hitch and loaded up some stuff.  Headed over to HD to pick up a trencher to finish my fall garden project this weekend.  I may be feeling old but I'm twice as slow!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »
Glad you're not REAL messed up; any good head shot might have taken what was left! My good friend growing up restored a 67 chevelle Malibu and was rear-ended by a lowered 87 accord w/ 5 adults in the car doing about 40mph. He saw it coming in the rear view, threw it in neutral and took his foot off the brake. minor cosmetic bumper damage and a tweaked exhaust pipe with some bent hangers. the other guy: 4 adults escaped on foot. the driver was pinned in his seat by the... ENGINE. it had broken free from the aged motor mounts and come through the dashboard to rest on his upper thigh and chest. bad burns and soft tissue injuries for him, but Matt and the Malibu were basically un-harmed. Based on the damage to the truck's hitch, I half expected to see similar damage to the tundra, but I guess that ranch hand did a pretty good job of absorbing the impact.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:13:12 PM by nmeyer414 »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
There several DIY kits for bumpers out there. Not all have the time or tools to make their own. All you need is a welder and grinder.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »
Thanks JR. While its in the shop I'm going to have them install a Fab Four premium. I'm done with OEM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
Glad you're okay RN!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
RN, just reading on your garden thread that you have the headache.
The EMT in me is concerned about whiplash and or concussion.
Take it easy and keep an eye that things don't get worse.
The moving slow concerns me less than the headache, take 'er easy bud.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
Thank you sir. I'm sure I have soft tissue injury. No shooting pain in full range of motion so I don't think there's serious damage. Concussion. Hmm. Don't think so but I'm no emt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »
Let's make sure you are OK, and no brain bleed, RN OK?

Answer this one simple question...

Is Boehner resigning as speaker of the house a good thing for conservatives?

If you think it isn't

Go immediately to the closest emergency room, you are very near unconsciousness!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2015, 07:07:16 PM »
Who is John Boehner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2015, 07:08:23 PM »
You mean that cry baby chain smoker Obama rubber stamp moron?  Yeah it's a good thing. McConnell is next.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
You mean that cry baby chain smoker Obama rubber stamp moron?  Yeah it's a good thing. McConnell is next.

Copy that

And McConnel is from my state

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2015, 11:29:53 PM »
So got the truck into the shop Tuesday.  Got a call today and its already in the paint booth!  I sent the guy the part number for the bumper.  The insurance company allotted $1400 for the bumper so I should be good to go with the Fab Four.  I got the part for the 2015 HD because it had the sensor holes.  It also has a different trailer wiring plug which has to be replaced anyway, so I get to upgrade to the combo 7 pin and 5 pin at the same time.

I guess I'll leave it black for now.  I was debating having it paint matched

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »
Nice bud.

Just remember, this isn't DF....we don't care if it's color matched or not. :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:55 PM »
ROFL.  Probably exactly the opposite, right Ken?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »
Good looking bumper there

It would cause me to want to accidentially back up into some kiA somewhere...

Looks good black, don't color match the thing...

You got too much of that goin' on in that suburban brain of yours!

Chrome don't get you home and color matched bumpers, are for rio grande jumpers!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:46:00 AM by Flyin6 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
Sorry man,

Checked the airspace below,

There was no danger

So I took the shot!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »
Great looking bumper.  My vote is don't color match.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Don's on his game today!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Well with the above being stated, I'm happy to announce my paint has not held up and I'll be spraying something black on my bumper in the near future.

That is a sharp looking bumper there RN, and black will definitely suit well.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal