Hello Guest

Author Topic: YAPR - Yet Another Preparedness Rant  (Read 1529 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
YAPR - Yet Another Preparedness Rant
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
Ok, so it's not early morning, but nonetheless is a rant, and likely a coffee induced one!

As other threads have mentioned, there's a lot of talk about preparedness these days, and a bunch of money to be made selling things to people that for the most part they likely don't need. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all about being prepared, but I think I've taken an approach that a lot of people who are "buying preparedness" overlook.

I've seen sooo many stoopid threads on various survival/prepper sites where the various people of said forums will argue the minutia of how a .40 is better than a 9mm. Or about how a 22LR is soo much better than a 22wmr, or how the small back with the black straps is soooo much better for their "op sec" than the one with OD straps etc etc etc. When I read forums like this, I inevitably start to get a little annoyed, start clicking the buttons on the mouse a little harder, mumbling under my breath, and eventually turning off the monitor on my computer.

I suppose my point here is that, so many internet experts are spending so much time and money analyzing such small details, that in the grand scheme of things don't matter one damn bit. Yes security is important, yes a good bag is important. But really if you have any gun, it's likely good enough. Or if you have any well made bag, it's likely good enough.

What people tend to be missing in this day and age, is a practical skill diversity. By that I mean, being able to put a new light switch in your house, do repairs in your own car, build something out of wood, use a welder, sharpen a knife, tie a proper knot, build a shelter in the wood, use a compass, do first aid/cpr, etc etc etc. If I read another thread about how some dude is all set because he's got a slick maxpedition pack, a .45 pistol, 10 carbines, a sniper rifle, a combat shotgun, a 22 survival rifle and a gazillion rounds, some MRE's and whatever other "credit-card funded preparedness" he did, I'm going to lose my mind!

I believe Heinlein's fictional character, Lazarus Long, said it best:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

</end rant>

PS. All of the guys I've encountered on this site seem to be wonderful exceptions to the normal. So much knowledge here, it's very refreshing!

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: YAPR - Yet Another Preparedness Rant
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
Reminds me of a talk I had with one of my "credit card tactical" friends that has the best of everything gun related.

We were shooting this weekend, out to 200, he has this fancy big name, high dollar rifle with equally good scope. I was shooting way better with my $250 savage .270.

I was trying to make the point to him that you can buy the best, but if you can't spend the time to learn how to use it, its just wasted money.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
I suppose my rant could be summed up by saying "don't spend your life on the internet, get outside and learn some crap!". The irony is that I earn my living writing software, but I'm also a part time farmer too, so it balances out :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
Definitely on the money with this rant.

The other ones I like are the ones that have all that stuff at home in the closet.  Not bothering to realize that you probably won't be sitting at home when trouble arises.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
^^^ That guy there doesn't stand a chance. A girl scout troop will disarm and strip him of all the goodies he has and use it all themselves.

Know what I call that^^^ Mobile supply point for the rest of us!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:54:31 PM »
^^^ That guy there doesn't stand a chance. A girl scout troop will disarm and strip him of all the goodies he has and use it all themselves.

Know what I call that^^^ Mobile supply point for the rest of us!

That is because he can't get up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »
I was thinking about that gravy filled drinking bladder...getting me hungry!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »
Looks like "Gomer Pyle" from Full Metal Jacket crossed with Austin Powers "Fat Bastard"!

He's abviously mistaken his rifle with his rocket launcher given the stance and grip.....fog of war malfunction due to missing his 9am feeding.  He's NOT fat, his ballistic plates make him look that way and his helmet is two sizes too small!

In his defense, at least he owns something.....just needs the loving counsel of a drill instructor to whip him into shape and take away the cheese curls!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Nate- even as a civi- those Article 15 videos are hilarious!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal