Hello Guest

Author Topic: So I'm thinking about writing another book  (Read 308 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So I'm thinking about writing another book
« on: January 10, 2024, 10:41:59 AM »
Yep, thinking about doing another work.

The first one, "Distant Thunder" is a collection of stories from my war and military days.

Then Came my first fantasy novel, "Thoren" which I wrote for my middle son on the occasion of his leaving to join the US Army. He enjoyed fantasy, all things Viking and Lord of the Rings. So Thoren was my shot at that Jahre written for him as a keepsake that he would always have that his father wrote just for him.

But there is another that has been on my mind for some years now. My wife reminds me about it every six months, she calls it "Lessons of a father." She wants me to write about the important lessons I learned starting when I was the son of a father, progressing through the decades when I was a father to the present when all my children have gone.

She thinks others can benefit from my sharing the mistakes and the times I got it right. She thinks it will be treasured by my children after my passing and will allow me to "Live on" in a manner in our family for generations.

If I did this thing, I have to admit, I have a lot to share and perhaps it could resonate in someone else's life. She suggests I bathe it in the holy spirit by praying over it daily. I can't disagree with the concept, and it would keep me busy for the winter months when I can't keep my hands as busy as I'd like.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm thinking about writing another book
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 11:06:45 AM »
I would encourage that effort. Two of my most treasured family works are my grandmother's diary when she was younger she made daily entries and as time went on she moved to weekly/monthly and writen in her hand from when she was 8-she became unable to write due to alzheimer. My mom took those diaries copied and bound them into a book. My grandfather has a published book on the meaning of the cross and the significance of the Lord's supper. Any thing writen by a loved one has a special place in one's heart

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 03:42:42 PM »
I can see how meaningful it would be to read one's heartfelt thoughts about things. How they reacted to what the world was handing them, and insights (Wisdom??)
Kind of the reason for and theme of this thing I'm thinking about.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 05:31:21 PM »
Well, it has started

I wrote the introduction first...Big mistake

I read it to my wife this morning. She said it was wordy and boring and after breakfast, just delete it.

Then she reminded me that you write an introduction after you've written the book...Ah, yea, that's right, Check!

I will incorporate 28 pages from another book I never published which I need to "Schmooze" some. I have also written about 6 pages of Chapter 1, so counting the things I am grafting in I am at 18,000 words. Distant Thunder if you have that is some 70,000 words. I am thinking somewhere from 70K-100K would make for a good-sized work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal