Hello Guest

Author Topic: Adding more Solar  (Read 1663 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Adding more Solar
« on: August 14, 2023, 06:42:45 PM »
So with a looming $3k trueup bill I have hopped into finishing my add on solar.

My current system makes about 3k max sometimes a little over 25k a day. Problem with this system Is it was kept on the smaller size when installed (location and home type) and is not cutting it now. It faces south, but around 6pm it puts out close to nothing and there is a large tree in the front yard that limits it output during winter, spring and autumn. Tree does need trimming big time.

To remedy this some I am adding 10 more 240watt mono panels with an SMA Sunnyboy 4000watt inverter. I have had all this for a few years. Newer stuff would be better i'm sure, but I paid about 1/2 retail for the new panels and got the inverter through a friend who does solar. I also got all the mounting hardware from him at cost.

SMA has been mounted for a couple years, conduit run just wating. Still need to run wire from panels to inverter. This inverter includes a 1500watt 110ac plug if the grid goes down.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Adding more Solar
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 06:48:53 PM »
I can run the panels in series for best efficiency or even add to it later. These panels will point west giving me power from midday to sunset all the time including autumn, winter and spring when the sun is low.

Got the footings in this AM. Its been almost 100 here with high humidity, making it nasty outside. Trying to run the DC wires through the attic.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 03:21:46 PM »
Before it got hot I got the rails on, squared up and level. Funny how far off a roof can be when you lay a string on things.

Just about then the sun hit, wow I don't how these guys do that all day long.

Everything is 13mm-1/2in. then layed another sealing bead just ahead of the clamp. Bolts are SS, clamp is flanged with a nice rubber boot between the it and the clamp.

Oh, and its going slow I know. I've been fighting a cold for a few days now. I run out of steam fast but getting something done everyday at least.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 05:15:23 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 07:29:38 PM »
Got all but 1 panel up, pretty straight. Last panel will cover the junction box. Thought I had a bad panel, but it was the installer who forgot to plug in one panel  :facepalm:

System is really cool, all 13mm and grounds the panel to the rail. Ground tab on each section. I have #10 stranded for the power and #8 solid for the ground.

With 9 panels up I get 480v, about 50v with no load. Under load they are rated for about 45v. Inverter (4000watt) will take 600v so I will be fine.

Thought I had a bad panel, but only cosmetic. Shows full power and no breaks in the surface.

Now to run the conduit through the attic and up through the roof. Trick is to turn the conduit up 35ft from the vent area.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal