Hello Guest

Author Topic: P0087 help  (Read 821 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
P0087 help
« on: October 10, 2021, 09:03:29 PM »
2006 by the VIN it is an LLY but well you know for the most part stock does have a tune but I left it in the tow tune setting, with 380K on it. Pulling a 10X22 box trailer into the wind today up some rolling hills at about 75 deg and got code P0087. Changed out the fuel filters (lift pump and filter head) started driving again and the code came back after clearing the code and started driving again. By looking at my CTS the demand fuel rail pressure was around 22K and actual pressure would jump between 20-22K. I disconnected the trailer and drove the truck home (200 miles at 55-75 MPH) with no check engine light and the demand was mostly 11-13K and so was the demand. I don't see any way to check this with out finding another big trailer and pulling it into the wind so I have no idea how to check to see if I replace anything if it fixed the problem. Any suggestions on what the problem may be and how to check it after I replace what ever part it may be? Also the truck is producing a bunch of smoke. I think that stock filter head has a mist coming out of it. I have tried resealing it and replacing it, I think that the lift pump may be over pressurizing it not sure if that would be the problem or not.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: P0087 help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 09:14:01 PM »
I used to get the 087 code a lot when pulling freeway on ramps.  The time file would allow it to request more fuel then my fass and cp3 could deliver. 

The options I found were to add a bigger pump, get the rail plug deal or learn to not mash the throttle.

Where you are getting the code at freeway speed already I’m not sure,   Passing someone? Did you get the code while applying more throttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
I used to get the 087 code a lot when pulling freeway on ramps.  The time file would allow it to request more fuel then my fass and cp3 could deliver. 

The options I found were to add a bigger pump, get the rail plug deal or learn to not mash the throttle.

Where you are getting the code at freeway speed already I’m not sure,   Passing someone? Did you get the code while applying more throttle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was a freeway speed but pulling a hill so more fuel demand. I was thinking of ordering the plug and try that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:00:46 PM by oklawall »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »
steve, have you checked or replaced the rubber sections of the fuel line coming from the tank to the filter housing?  there is a specific section by the trans area that gets weak over time and actually collapses under pressure.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »
steve, have you checked or replaced the rubber sections of the fuel line coming from the tank to the filter housing?  there is a specific section by the trans area that gets weak over time and actually collapses under pressure.
That usually only happens without a lift pump. ... from suction/vacuum
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:19:27 AM »

This is true.

Steve, did you verify that the lift pump was actually working and not just acting like a pre-filter?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 02:00:01 PM »

This is true.

Steve, did you verify that the lift pump was actually working and not just acting like a pre-filter?
Yes the lift pump is working not sure if it is producing the advertised GPM but it filled up the water sep and filter at the pump and the one at the engine very quickly. I'm thinking 15-20 seconds until I had a steady stream out of the filter head

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 11:03:25 PM »
I ordered the rail plug and will put that in when time permits. Never had any trouble before and I don't expect to pull a barn door trailer again any time soon  so may never know if it fixed the problem or not

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 01:07:11 AM »
I was getting the code a lot. Found my LP was bad, replaced with a carter vs the $$$ ones. Works fine and under $100.

I also replaced my plug, you could push it in with your hand. Seems to help and the CTS shows demand and actual running the same. I believe I got a code awhile back, but I was pulling hard the day. Seems if I not really push while towing I am fine. 
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »
jr, did you get your water injection thing working around that same time?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 05:32:35 PM »
WI was way earlier. I bought a new controller but still on the shelf, like may things!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal