Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 115433 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #300 on: January 01, 2017, 07:01:57 PM »
Agreed, don't think I would have saved much weight overall but it would have looked really nice all made from the round bar. Maybe next time, I had the other material already bought so I went with it. I do really like that press brake for the H-press, used it for round bar too.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 01, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »
Nice start. How are you forming the metal.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »
30 ton press and some of this guys stuff

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html

I have the plates and the 20 ton finger brake kit, I upgraded my press to air over hydro setup

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 01, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
Familiar with his stuff.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 01, 2017, 09:02:13 PM »
I need a bigger shop and more disposable income......
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 01, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
I want a 40x60 with drive through. Budget and land does not agree for now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 01, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
I need a bigger shop and more disposable income......

Me too!!!

If I ever build again the shop will same size as last 44 x 88 w/ 16' to the trusses then off one end I will have a 30 x 30 with 10' ceilings heated & ac in that portion. The 30' sq will be machine shop with welding and reloading areas.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:09:25 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2017, 04:18:19 AM »
If I ever build again the shop will same size as last 44 x 88 w/ 16' to the trusses then off one end I will have a 30 x 30 with 10' ceilings heated & ac in that portion. The 30' sq will be machine shop with welding and reloading areas.

That works!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
JR, there I go dreaming again.... :wink:

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »
Nice work! The can carrier is shaping up nicely. I like the round bar usage, and the way you're securing the cans. Simple, useful. I assume it will all fit nicely between the tailgate and tire carrier?
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
Nice work! The can carrier is shaping up nicely. I like the round bar usage, and the way you're securing the cans. Simple, useful. I assume it will all fit nicely between the tailgate and tire carrier?

Hoping so, getting cold. Will finish fab on both this week then paint next week.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
Other than attaching single lock mechanism in the middle it is complete. Just needs sanding and paint which since its a heat wave now will get finished this week.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
Planning, since I already have a narrowed 60 front axle with 4.56 and Detroit along with the matching stocker EB 9" narrowed rear I picked these two gems up today for a couple bills. The stock axle WMS is 65.4" and this original ford hd diamond housing is 68" so I will gain 1.3" in width per side at the rear. Pretty darn close and it came with the 31 spline axles I needed for my built third I own with Detroit. This axle looks clean as it has some of the original Ford black paint that you hardly ever find on these housings.

Plan is to strip it down of original brackets and truss the rear then add JK style mounts. Currie has axle tube ends that I believe allow you to mount up the backing plates from the original D44 axle but they are proud of them so I may machine my own.....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 09, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
I like where your head's at!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
Tate, I'll be calling you once I figure out which inner 60 axle I'm going to need FYI.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »
Rack looks good, except for the osb part. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
Rack looks good, except for the osb part. :)

I threw that up there for Hillary supporters, typically they have trouble seeing black and white. With all the steel in the back ground it was blending in & well I was trying to make it simple for you specifically Ken! :popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
Thanks buddy!!

Sent from a spaceship

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2017, 09:56:45 PM »
Thanks buddy!!

Sent from a spaceship

No problem, hippy watching out for an H supporter who woulda thunk it?!?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2017, 12:44:28 AM »
You guys are scaring me

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:37 AM »
Nice score on that 9" I'd back brace it for a truss and call it good. So..your front 60 is 5 lug or will be or?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2017, 10:32:49 AM »
I've got hubs in stock for gm/dodge d60 spindles to convert to 5x5.5 fyi. (8x6.5 and 6x6.5 too) Phil's got a set of the 8 luggers on the Ramcharger.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
I've got hubs in stock for gm/dodge d60 spindles to convert to 5x5.5 fyi. (8x6.5 and 6x6.5 too) Phil's got a set of the 8 luggers on the Ramcharger.

It's already setup as 5 x 5.5 but if you have a brake kit that goes with it I would be interested in the info as all of my parts were custom machined. Ok for trailer queen but would be nice to run off the shelf parts for a street driven JK Tate....

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
No brake components from me... yet. I'm betting you're probably looking for 77-79 f150/bronco rotors and calipers though.

OldKooT

« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
Just some food for thought.

Your JK is already hefty and will get heavier. Large brakes are nice. Your modern tire choices are all 17" or larger these days, so these accommodate large brakes. You live in hippy land with large hills, requiring large brakes.

Sell your present front 5 bolt Dana 60 arrangement and acquire some Dodge knuckles/spindles/hubs and your now 8 lug. Higher Tie rode location than Chevy even, and much stronger knuckles than a Ford 60.

Weld some 14 bolt spindles on your 9" and your now 8 lug back there as well. This would require some new floater axle shafts, but that's ok because some alloy 31 spline shafts are less likely to break anyway.  :grin:

Just saying....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
Just some food for thought.

Your JK is already hefty and will get heavier. Large brakes are nice. Your modern tire choices are all 17" or larger these days, so these accommodate large brakes. You live in hippy land with large hills, requiring large brakes.

Sell your present front 5 bolt Dana 60 arrangement and acquire some Dodge knuckles/spindles/hubs and your now 8 lug. Higher Tie rode location than Chevy even, and much stronger knuckles than a Ford 60.

Weld some 14 bolt spindles on your 9" and your now 8 lug back there as well. This would require some new floater axle shafts, but that's ok because some alloy 31 spline shafts are less likely to break anyway.  :grin:

Just saying....

I will be buying new wheels when I jump tire size. That front hp Ford housing 60 has 70 c's, dedenbear knuckles along with 5 bolt branik hs arms. So it would be a spindle out conversion, I actually think just hubs if I recall they are 8 lug hubs turned down & redrilled.....

As far as the rear I would need to source new custom axle shafts, double ended might be easiest but need to figure out how to retain the abs then whereas with using the stock rear d-44 backing plate & brakes I believe it is already there.

Other thought is brakes are over rated as it's a manual.......
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:11:58 PM by stlaser »

OldKooT

« Reply #326 on: January 10, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
LoL....

I think you could easily do it either way...but I'd float that 9" regardless. If staying 5lug why not use a 14 bolt style hub, open up some 5 lug rotors and use the original calipers thus allowing your ABS to work. Not sure why yr worried about the ABS since it's a stick =P

Also your front calipers on the 60 will work with the abs?

The amount of 1 ton equipped Jk's running around I am sure there is a formula for this...

All I know is even aftermarket 9" semi float shafts have very little side load torsional resistance. I once ran 40 spline semi float...I still broke/bent them at the flange. When I floated the 9" I never broke a 31 spline in the same truck. 5400lb truck on 38's.

Now if you just drive it around on the street/mulch beds...semi float should work.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »
LoL....

I think you could easily do it either way...but I'd float that 9" regardless. If staying 5lug why not use a 14 bolt style hub, open up some 5 lug rotors and use the original calipers thus allowing your ABS to work. Not sure why yr worried about the ABS since it's a stick =P

Also your front calipers on the 60 will work with the abs?

The amount of 1 ton equipped Jk's running around I am sure there is a formula for this...

All I know is even aftermarket 9" semi float shafts have very little side load torsional resistance. I once ran 40 spline semi float...I still broke/bent them at the flange. When I floated the 9" I never broke a 31 spline in the same truck. 5400lb truck on 38's.

Now if you just drive it around on the street/mulch beds...semi float should work.

Full floating the rear is a good idea I agree. Also I have that pesky traction control thing that runs on tone ring in brake setup. Was planning on wiring it out but need to check with state inspectors on that first. It's a pos design & doesn't really work.

I think a lot of those guys ditch the abs, not sure. Need to keep it street legal and I know the emergency brake is part of the inspection. Thinking abs is too, however I'm not real familiar with those inspections as I've only went through one.

Not sure on front 60, think Don was talking to guy who was "working on something" recall cmax straight axle swap he was contemplating. Here again maybe able to use the stock calipers with existing setup just change bracket for caliper mount.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Ok, after some more research Currie sells axle tube ends that accept set 80 bearings along with stock jk d44 brake setups. They also sell 35 spline axle shafts with the tone ring installed. They sell the jk tone rings separate so thinking I may be able to buy the housing ends & have my current 9" axle shafts machined for the tone ring. The jk sensor is mounted in the caliper bracket on the stock jk axles.

OldKooT

« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »
Doesn't that Currie set up require an adapter "package" as well as the Torino housing ends?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
Norm, not sure as I'm not familiar with those set 80 bearings. I recall Ford had two styles of bearings but I thought you could interchange them. I was assuming the set 80 were one of those styles but again I'm not edumucated to that extent on the 9".....

Here's what I was looking at...

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-95011JK

Also for what it's worth if you need a narrow 60 housing it would be a lot easier for me to run a superduty front 60 on this jk. Maybe we can do some horse trading....

My other thought with sticking with the 9" is the size of the pumpkin etc. things get kinda tight with that fuel tank etc back there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:18:24 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »
I also believe (maybe Tate knows) that if I run the superduty front they have unit bearings that will accept the wheel sensor and also be machine for the 5 on 5.5 pattern.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 12, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
I've heard that to be a pretty favorable setup with the superduty hp60 Sean, pretty sure Brian knows some guys that manufacture those too, i'll look into it for you. fun fact, if you don't wire in a switch to actually disable the active stability and traction on the automatics, the wheel skip of a heavy posi or auto locker like a grizzly will cause the tcm to freak out and throw it into limp mode. thanks Chrysler.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 12, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »
I've heard that to be a pretty favorable setup with the superduty hp60 Sean, pretty sure Brian knows some guys that manufacture those too, i'll look into it for you. fun fact, if you don't wire in a switch to actually disable the active stability and traction on the automatics, the wheel skip of a heavy posi or auto locker like a grizzly will cause the tcm to freak out and throw it into limp mode. thanks Chrysler.

Copy, look forward to the info.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
Currie has a 5x5.5 brg hub conversion but you have to buy custom Wilwood brakes and not saving any money on the junkyard axles. I was just talking w/ Joe at Unlimited off road in MI, and unless that Superduty housing is free, you're spending too much for them at $500+ each wholesale on hubs only, then about $1k on brake conversion. better to do a dynatrac or something similar or just go 8 lug wheels. sorry to sink your battleship there Sean.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »
Tate, is there another option for the wheel speed sensor on a front 60 then the superduty axles? I already have the built 60 front w/o the speed sensors in 5 on 5.5 (stock hubs turned down & redrilled).

OldKooT

« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »
Unless I am old and forgot something, he can run just one wheel speed sensor and minus the ABS, everything will work correctly. Only the newer Jeeps need all 4 sensors. So regardless of combination....ya just "need" one sensor.

Sooooooo... sell your present 60 housing. Use a SD housing from any yard.. $225 here at the pick and pull when they have one. Use one Currie hub for your sensor and away you go.

I feel 8 lug is a no brainier because the rotors/calipers are off the shelf, everything is cheaper and simpler. Swapping that 9" to 8 lug is child's play. Used 8 lug wheels are a dime a dozen if your feeling all thrifty.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »
Tate, is there another option for the wheel speed sensor on a front 60 then the superduty axles? I already have the built 60 front w/o the speed sensors in 5 on 5.5 (stock hubs turned down & redrilled).

Not that I've heard of Sean.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 13, 2017, 06:07:14 PM »
Unless I am old and forgot something, he can run just one wheel speed sensor and minus the ABS, everything will work correctly. Only the newer Jeeps need all 4 sensors. So regardless of combination....ya just "need" one sensor.

Sooooooo... sell your present 60 housing. Use a SD housing from any yard.. $225 here at the pick and pull when they have one. Use one Currie hub for your sensor and away you go.

I feel 8 lug is a no brainier because the rotors/calipers are off the shelf, everything is cheaper and simpler. Swapping that 9" to 8 lug is child's play. Used 8 lug wheels are a dime a dozen if your feeling all thrifty.

I've read my jeep only needs one too but everyone keeps mentioning that you have to require the other three into that single sensor somehow but I've yet to see anyone write up how they did it & I hate wiring did I mention that part?

Edit: Branik also does a custom unit bearing setup on rear axles but again price is getting up there I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:10:10 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 13, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »
Currie has a 5x5.5 brg hub conversion but you have to buy custom Wilwood brakes and not saving any money on the junkyard axles. I was just talking w/ Joe at Unlimited off road in MI, and unless that Superduty housing is free, you're spending too much for them at $500+ each wholesale on hubs only, then about $1k on brake conversion. better to do a dynatrac or something similar or just go 8 lug wheels. sorry to sink your battleship there Sean.

Need to call Currie, they show a setup running 5x5.5 axle shafts but you have to upgrade bearing ends. Run stock d44 jk brakes

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 14, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »

Koot,
Since you're all tuned into the D60 front axle world

Allow me to take this opportunity to completely change the subject (Junk up this thread) and ask for you to read in on my Silverado build
Remember when I was going to add in that HPD60 from a 2005 F350? It's a beautiful king pin thing that I just love to look at. Anyway, I have all the suspension parts, minus shocks, the axle housing, open carrier, 35 spline axles, knuckles, but no hubs. Sent them to _____Can't reacll their name, and they kept them.

Anyway, the problem was, we couldn't fit up the anti skid brake rotors to make that junk work and not flash dash lights at me all the time.

I was looking at a tighter than the Battleship Missouri turning radius out of the SAS front over the girly car suspension those trucks have.

Any clue how to do that...go ahead and write all you want, it's shawn's thread and he wouldn't care if we used this as the new discussion forum!
;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
Chief, you're smoking something if you think a king pin Dana 60 came from an 05 superduty FYI......

Furthermore if it was an 05 60 it had abs brakes on it stock.

But by all means keep junking up the thread! :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:35:17 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 14, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
Chief, you're smoking something if you think a king pun Dana 60 came from an 05 superduty FYI......

Furthermore if it was an 05 60 it had abs brakes on it stock.
I stand korrekted

1995 F3-fitty

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 14, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Ok, now that Don has sobered up. I think I may have a way to make it work. I ran it past Norm last night and he couldn't argue his way against it. Odd I know, he said something about Kay in yoga pants or something at the start of the conversation so maybe it's possible he was distracted from the conversation.

Here's the thing, I need superduty knuckle out components to figure this out for you Don. I'm pretty sure I have a work around for mine at the moment.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
Ok, now that Don has sobered up. I think I may have a way to make it work. I ran it past Norm last night and he couldn't argue his way against it. Odd I know, he said something about Kay in yoga pants or something at the start of the conversation so maybe it's possible he was distracted from the conversation.

Here's the thing, I need superduty knuckle out components to figure this out for you Don. I'm pretty sure I have a work around for mine at the moment.
Be happy to hear it

Give you a get out of banned card, for the next time...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Also worth noting you would be a guinea pig of sorts if you wanted to proceed with this test pilot idea.

Like how I added pilot in there so he couldn't say no? :wink:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
Where's that frozen nebraske' corn farmer???

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Also worth noting you would be a guinea pig of sorts if you wanted to proceed with this test pilot idea.

Like how I added pilot in there so he couldn't say no? :wink:
I do kinda like that

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
Web site data page sez he's postin'

But I'm not seein'

OldKooT

« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
Don.... I'd say stay tuned, I suspect Sean may have a workable idea. And to aid him I am going to take a look see at my junk collection sometime in the next few days...I may have a idea, but I need to lay eyes on the hub.

Does anyone "ken" have a clue how large of a diameter the Chevy or for that matter Ford speed sensor deal is?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal