Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6  (Read 42440 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6
« Reply #700 on: August 29, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »
So...

Something odd came up

My neighbor who is building that road through his place to mine offered to trade his farm in another county even up for mine

I'd be giving up my 91.27 acres for his 121 acres...even us. He has a solid tobacco barn, fields like mine, electric power, a cistern, and he said I could have the double wide mobile home to. It is far from new and I'd likely just get rid of it.

Interesting...something to think about.
First question… what’s wrong with his other farm? ;). You’ve poured so much blood, sweat, tears, sunglasses, cameras, chainsaws, brush hogs and tractors into this place.

Makes sense for him to have two properties side by side.
...And, Ryan, that's really the thing.

I have turned a rat's nest into a nice place. There is a lot of me down there. I don't see me selling nor trading it.
Just got a call while in church. A big (Giant) red oak of mine fell over and killed a neighbors new fence. He is cool about it. Called to let me know he was cutting it up. I'll have 20+ feet of a 36" log to saw up in a little bit.
That's a lot of oak!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 29, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »
One thing that sold me on my prop too, no big power lines. I see those all the time and its nasty. Sure it has to go somewhere, but not my place either.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 30, 2021, 12:37:22 PM »
One thing that sold me on my prop too, no big power lines. I see those all the time and its nasty. Sure it has to go somewhere, but not my place either.
:likebutton:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 03, 2021, 03:41:07 PM »
Had some good news today.
I had filed an application for power to be connected to the barn.
I spoke with the building supervisor, who drove down there for a visit and a site survey. The first 250 feet is free and the rest if $15 per foot and on me. There was some 400+ feet from the pole to my barn.
Today they told me they were willing to use a second pole, the one sticking right in the dam around my pond as a base. From there they will run wire to a new pole set near the barn and then connect to the barn...AND ALL FOR FREE!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 03, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
The rains that passed through, although fairly light, added some inches of depth to the pond. It had been down significantly following all the digging, but now is getting filled again. It will go dawn a lot more as I dig the final volume out and finish this monster.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 03, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
So, yesterday the ground was still a bit slippery from the hurricane/tropical depression that made a day long visit, so I cleared some undergrowth from another field, bush-hogged another one and dug another smaller pond down near the rifle/pistol range.

This new one is 5-6 feet in depth and as long as the berm for the range, maybe 100 feet. It was a quick dig with that super capable SVL-97 Kubota. I tracked all the clay dirt in so it's water ready right from the start. I plan to put some sport fish in there, some carp and catfish and hope to attract a bird or two. It will also serve as a watering hole for wildlife as I work on their habitat too.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 03, 2021, 03:52:33 PM »
I lowered and flattened the dirt berm we had used as a backstop and added dirt to the backside. The whole of the retaining wall is several feet wider than the CTL and I have already driven over it with a cutter to confirm all that would work. In fact, I used the cutter to take out the trees which were either at the berm or nearby, so the view down into the woods has changed just a bit.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 03, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »
Great news on the power Don.

I’d do a 400 amp service. My little place is adding up fast already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 03, 2021, 04:00:26 PM »
Plans going forward: Complete the summer's projects of:
1. Build the Barn
2. Finish the pond
3. Get most of the dirt work done

Added to that is:

Build in a parking area/deck that will be graveled and be located on the back side of the shed.

Also in the works:
1. Concrete floor, due to start anytime soon
2. Get the barn electrified
   a. Run the power lines
   b. Install a through the roof meter base
   c. Install lighting and receptacles in the barn
3. Get the water collection for the barn roof roughed in
    The two big 3,000 gal poly tanks will be fitted lower, below the barn, then the gutters run to them and some pump installed
    down there to push water up to the barn.

Then later on a bit:

1. Install a dividing wall between the saw mill and the "working" part of the barn
Get some benches and storage installed in the barn

The plan when it is getting cold is to move a lot of the stuff in the shed down into the barn
Then do some demo in the shed, as I am going to turn that into a living space
Somehow, build a porch or deck around part of the cabin so I am not working in mud
Build a staircase from the parking pad, up to the porch around the cabin

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 03, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
Great news on the power Don.

I’d do a 400 amp service. My little place is adding up fast already.

You think 400 amp for just the barn? Seems like a lot. Only big power demand will be a welder which will pull 50. I was thinking 200 amp service...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 03, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
Well I assumed(Others with more experience can chime in) that you want your drop rated for what you’ll need I total so you don’t have to pay to upgrade it later.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 03, 2021, 07:16:23 PM »
For our customers in Manitoba 200 is the normal.
Above 200 gets really spendy but we love them for it.

Will all depend on your planned needs.
Heating/cooling are the big loads traditionally.
Shop I’d put a big tub in but the reality is not a lot of load can be used at one time.

If you’re running a boiler or heat pump then the heating/cooling load decreases.

Charles is right mentioning it now.
Think about goals wants and needs. Maybe 400 is the same install cost?
Upgrades will certainly cost later on if you need to.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 03, 2021, 07:43:34 PM »
I spoke with the building supervisor, who drove down there for a visit and a site survey. The first 250 feet is free and the rest if $15 per foot and on me. There was some 400+ feet from the pole to my barn.
Today they told me they were willing to use a second pole, the one sticking right in the dam around my pond as a base. From there they will run wire to a new pole set near the barn and then connect to the barn...AND ALL FOR FREE!

Dont you already have a pole where the old house used to be.......?

Why can they not run off that one?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 03, 2021, 10:05:30 PM »
Have a conversation with a sparky, let them know all potential future plans. Go 400 amp……

I agree 200 amp isn’t much. However, my home has a 400 amp meter box with 200 amp meter in it. I then have two 200 amp panels but both only have 100 amp mains in them currently. This runs a 5300 sq ft house with two kitchens, in mild weather Colorado. Similar to the Tuck I would think, when we finish off basement (2000 sq ft) we will be swapping to a 400 amp meter and one of the 100 amp panels will be swapped for a 200 amp.

You’re going to run a couple barns and a future house, well pumps and water fountains in the pond for aeration. It really shouldn’t be a question, then add in boon docking rv hookups for visitors…..

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 10:06:12 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 03, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
Is there such a thing as “farm service” there? My uncle has that - 200 to house, 200 to barn.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 03, 2021, 11:33:27 PM »
I just talked with Mason co. PUD about shop power. He said run new 4-0 lines from transformer to a new 320 meter base. Then run a 200 amp line to shop and use the existing 200 amp feeding the house.tie both service lines into new meter.  200 amp in reality is only about 160 amp and could run everything in the shop and home. New meter base and meter is around 1,500 bucks here when fees are added in by PUD to help pay other projects. I don’t know how much the guy knows but it is a lot more than me about electricity.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 11:45:37 PM by Bob Smith »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 04, 2021, 01:36:53 AM »
So that’s really the point I was making.  The wires to your meter box need to be rated for 400, even if you only install a 200 amp meter to begin with.  Changing the size of the drop later is expensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 04, 2021, 02:11:10 AM »
I’d suggest larger also.  Amazing how fast you chew up that power and who knows we can all park our Rv’s out there and snatch power off it!!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 04, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
So that’s really the point I was making.  The wires to your meter box need to be rated for 400, even if you only install a 200 amp meter to begin with.  Changing the size of the drop later is expensive

Follow this advice. Buy once cry once.
My old farm was a 200 amp service.
200 amps in the house and 200 in the shed.
Just not at once but wired to be.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 04, 2021, 08:36:58 PM »

Dont you already have a pole where the old house used to be.......?

Why can they not run off that one?
From that pole to my barn = 420 ft. From the suggested pole to a new pole near the barn is 175 ft. First 250 ft. are on them, so using their pole reduces my cost to zero.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 04, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Have a conversation with a sparky, let them know all potential future plans. Go 400 amp……

I agree 200 amp isn’t much. However, my home has a 400 amp meter box with 200 amp meter in it. I then have two 200 amp panels but both only have 100 amp mains in them currently. This runs a 5300 sq ft house with two kitchens, in mild weather Colorado. Similar to the Tuck I would think, when we finish off basement (2000 sq ft) we will be swapping to a 400 amp meter and one of the 100 amp panels will be swapped for a 200 amp.

You’re going to run a couple barns and a future house, well pumps and water fountains in the pond for aeration. It really shouldn’t be a question, then add in boon docking rv hookups for visitors…..

Well, 200 easily covers everything I plan to do twice over.
Remember that the shed still has its own 200 amp panel, and the future house will get a third dedicated line going to it of likely 200 amp. Even if al of you boneheads show up at once you can just park around the structure of your choice and plug in. Heck, just use the cabin, bc, I'll have a whole new house in there within a year or two of getting the cabin done.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 04, 2021, 08:46:50 PM »
Love you brother but I’m afraid you are being penny wise and pound foolish. Carry on and I’ll STFU.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 04, 2021, 08:56:40 PM »
Love you brother but I’m afraid you are being penny wise and pound foolish. Carry on and I’ll STFU.

Well, I haven't made any decisions just yet. That will come when I start pricing the panel(s), meter base and all that junk I need to get this installed. One of the cousins is an electrician, so I'll likely just get him to install the whole thing. Free up my time to pull wires and throw up some lights

on that subject. Will use LED's throughout the shop. Any recommendations? Was thinking about three zones. zone one will be overhead the benches that will go next to the wall that I am building beside the saw mill to isolate that. Then I was thinking of a right side and a left side to complete the interior lighting. As far as number of fixtures. I suppose there is some planner or formula to help me figure that out.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 04, 2021, 09:18:07 PM »
Here’s who I’ve used on both shops for led fixtures. Sign up for email get discount coupon, contact them with shop foot print and ceiling height. They will do a light simulation with their units and recommendations. Don’t be afraid to critique what they initially send you, I did and they dialed it in on latest shop.

https://hi-hyperlite.com/

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 04, 2021, 09:23:35 PM »
I have 120,000 lumens on 1 zone with plenty left over. If you run 20 amp circuits you can get a lot of leds on one circuit.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 04, 2021, 09:39:01 PM »
I have 120,000 lumens on 1 zone with plenty left over. If you run 20 amp circuits you can get a lot of leds on one circuit.

Yup, running 180k lumens on one zone in new shop. I like good lighting….

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hide Site/Bug Out Location Construction, Part 6
« Reply #726 on: September 05, 2021, 12:20:52 AM »
Sounds like a built 6.0 gas motor next to a duraburb again.   I know the answer do you?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:38:44 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 05, 2021, 04:54:31 PM »
Sounds like a bolt 6.0 gas motor next to a duraburb again.   I know the answer do you?

Anybody know what Dave is talking about here???
;-)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 05, 2021, 05:39:26 PM »
Don you are trying to go the cheap route just like the motor in the burb
Just put a big panel in and don’t look back

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 05, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
I think 200 is fine. Lines will handle more but panels will be the questions for later use.

I have about 550' underground to run, that wire is $$$.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 05, 2021, 06:03:56 PM »
Don a 20 amp circuit will accommodate 2400 watts of power, so look at the fixtures you want and determine the wattage and add it up.

Watts is power
V is voltage
I is amperage

P=V*I

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 06, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
Don a 20 amp circuit will accommodate 2400 watts of power, so look at the fixtures you want and determine the wattage and add it up.

Watts is power
V is voltage
I is amperage

P=V*I

I plan on a 20 amp circuit for the saw mill side, lights and a couple of outlets for battery chargers and things like that
Another 20 amp circuit for a bunch of outlets all along the work bench. Only a couple of them will ever be in use at any time like a radio and the miter saw for example. I'll run a dedicated 20 amp for the bigger table saw and one or two for other equipment. Run one for all the overhead lights, all three zones, provided the wattage all fits within the load, if not, then two. I'll run another 20 amp circuit for a water pump then add outlets around the shop on another. There will be a couple outlets outside as well.
Finally I'll run a 50 amp for the welder, and drop another 50 amp outside for a future camper, and a 30 beside that too.
That adds up to well over 200, but at no time will even a half of those circuits be engaged.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 06, 2021, 07:06:38 PM »

Watts is power
V is voltage
I is amperage

P=V*I

Yes but only supposed to be calculated to 80%, right? So, 1920W.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 06, 2021, 08:16:11 PM »

Watts is power
V is voltage
I is amperage

P=V*I

Yes but only supposed to be calculated to 80%, right? So, 1920W.
Correct.good catch

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 06, 2021, 09:48:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good advice!

So, I talked to several folks with Ag type barn/shops like I have. Everyone to the man is saying 200 Amp service is enough, so I really have to go with that. That and my calculations for normal and exceptional power consumption does not add up to 200 amps.

Then the cost factor, I will actually be adding in another panel to carry the items I want powered by a generator and the future solar panels. Perhaps I will just wire that in with this install so I am PV-cell ready.

Good, very good news is that I have an electrician in the family and we have arranged to pick up everything and get to it this coming weekend. That is short tracking the project and should allow me to get it inspected and ready for power the same day Blue Grass Energy drops in the new pole.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 06, 2021, 10:56:50 PM »
Shawn took your advice. Just dropped some coin on some hyperlights

Followed their recommendations for a 30X50 space of 6X150 watt lights, 21,000lm ea for the space, and since I plan to wall off the saw mill part about 9 feet, I picked up two 100 watt lights for that section

Also picked up some of their 100w and 70w exterior floodlights for near the big doors. I'll buy something pretty for the French door entrance which is getting a brush-finished pad, a couple of my annarondeck chairs and a few shrubs

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 07, 2021, 06:24:18 AM »

Followed their recommendations for a 30X50 space of 6X150 watt lights, 21,000lm ea for the space, and since I plan to wall off the saw mill part about 9 feet, I picked up two 100 watt lights for that section

Also picked up some of their 100w and 70w exterior floodlights for near the big doors. I'll buy something pretty for the French door entrance which is getting a brush-finished pad, a couple of my annarondeck chairs and a few shrubs

You’ll like em, that’s what I have in my old shop with 14’ ceilings.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 07, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »

Hong Kong company...Where do they ship from?
Any issues getting them? Any warranty claims? Any failures?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 08, 2021, 09:23:48 PM »
The lights arrived today!
One day shipping???
Yea, came in from the drive back up from the farm and five good sized boxes are sitting in my driveway

F A S T

Other news: Tossed a track off the Kubota today

That was fun getting back on. Finally I got the Kioti tractor and used the bucket to push it back onto the sprocket, then with all the tension off, drove forward and it popped back on. Took a whole tube of grease to get that idler wheel pumped back out!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 08, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »

Hong Kong company...Where do they ship from?
Any issues getting them? Any warranty claims? Any failures?

My experience, they come from everywhere. Amazon, their warehouses and other distributors. But yeah they come quick. I like that they pull from whomever they need to in order to fill the order. Warranty or issues, none in two years. Plug em in and see chit…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 08, 2021, 10:06:24 PM »
They have a huge Amazon distribution center here, and just built another about 3x bigger down the road. I get stuff next day all the time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 09, 2021, 12:06:40 AM »
Track replacement is really neat, at least it’s warm out to help it stretch.

Some fun YouTube videos to watch for sure

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 10, 2021, 12:12:35 PM »
Track replacement is really neat, at least it’s warm out to help it stretch.

Some fun YouTube videos to watch for sure

I started out replacing thrown tracks in the 1970's. When I was a Tanker in the Armee. Nothing worse than tossing a track to the inside. Had to pull the tank off the thing in many cases. each block was near 100 pounds, so working a section of track was almost impossible using just men. The crew of an M88 with its winches, towing ability and lift was indispensable.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 10, 2021, 12:17:41 PM »
Got the rest of the wall around the pond stacked up, and cleaned the barn out for concrete, which is scheduled for Tuesday.

Electrical work this weekend is off due to missing parts...sliding that a week to next weekend.

Had to hand dig out under the sawmill. I should have just yanked that out of the ground and hard mounted it to the floor and poured all of it.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 13, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »
Need to post a bunch of pics, but out of time...

Tex will appreciate the ones...of my...Kubota...which had just...slid into the.......pond...

Ya, not so cool.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 13, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »
Uh oh!

:popcorn:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 13, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
That must be interesting, 10k machine in the water. Hey its not salt and you have something big enough to get it out.

But someone has to go swimming,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 13, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »
First one is understandable. When you are dumb enough to do it twice call me….

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 13, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 16, 2021, 04:23:50 PM »
Did this really happen? I haven't seen any pics yet......LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal