VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Considering Re-gearing and changing limited slip...

(1/7) > >>

Tommy13:
Looking for some advice and discussion as I ponder swapping the 3.42s in my 2013 Ram CTD to possibly 4.10s along with a new locker or limited slip option.  Not something I've ever done, but I refuse to be beaten and I'll never learn how by paying someone. 

I've run the handy ratio calculator Don posted and feel like the 4.10s should put me about where I'd like to be running 35s.  It looks like the Yukon Dura Grip might be the best option for me.  I'll be deleting and programming the truck in the new few months and I think this is the perfect project to go along with those updates. 

Should I be looking at additional upgrades for the front diff? 

Any advice, warnings, teachin' or criticism would be greatly appreciated.   

stlaser:
I'd pm Tate, link the question as well here on the forum. He's technically the go to guy for gears etc.

Tommy13:
Done!

EL TATE:
Considering the usefulness of this to all concerned, I've decided to respond to your PM publicly here. I think it will be a good reference point later on. https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx is obviously my calculator, but the one Don posted is essentially the same. using your 6 speed trans ratios, and est 75MPH, 4.11 will put you right around 2190 w/ 35" tires. From what Koot and others have mentioned, this seems to be the ideal wonder-ratio for cummins. I would recommend the duragrip if the truck spends most of it's life on the street, but that being said, there's nothing stronger and more reliable than the Grizzly locker for ultimate strength and traction if you're more off road than on, or are just preferring that locker feel and sound.

Tommy13:
Thanks Tate!

The truck is low miles, under 25k.  Is there any reason to consider replacing the bearings or is a basic install kit all that is needed?  I want to do it right, but there's no need to waste money either.  I also see a huge price difference between the Yukon and Chrysler PN.  Is it just normal OEM price gouging or is there a difference in the parts? 

Sounds like the duragrip will be the right fit for me.  Any other recommendations?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version