VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

D70 Skid plate

(1/4) > >>

wilsonphil:
Dose anyone know if someone makes a D70 skid plate?  I could fab one up but not against buying something premade.

stlaser:

--- Quote from: wilsonphil on October 18, 2019, 08:15:59 PM ---Dose anyone know if someone makes a D70 skid plate?  I could fab one up but not against buying something premade.

--- End quote ---

Skid plate? Pinion guard or? I make a diff cover and we can add 1/2” lower playing to it. Kind of creates a skid of sorts on bottom 3 facets of the cover. Give extra protection to bottom bolts etc.

wilsonphil:
looking more to protect the case, its taken a couple scrapes I just wanted to see if some one had something premade.  One less thing for me to make!

stlaser:

--- Quote from: wilsonphil on October 19, 2019, 10:04:20 PM ---looking more to protect the case, its taken a couple scrapes I just wanted to see if some one had something premade.  One less thing for me to make!

--- End quote ---

For the bottom of the housing, no not that I’m aware of. With that said they can take a ton of abuse in stock form. Other than aftermarket aluminum race housings I don’t think I’ve ever saw one break from the bottom such as a jump etc. Again as you stated it would be easy to weld on a steel overlay of the bottom but you may lose some ground clearance in the process.

Norm claims that the carrier bearing pockets will wear out on higher mileage Cummins units. I am taking him at his word as I’ve never checked the pockets with a bore guage myself.

EL TATE:

--- Quote from: stlaser on October 19, 2019, 10:18:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: wilsonphil on October 19, 2019, 10:04:20 PM ---looking more to protect the case, its taken a couple scrapes I just wanted to see if some one had something premade.  One less thing for me to make!

--- End quote ---

Norm claims that the carrier bearing pockets will wear out on higher mileage Cummins units. I am taking him at his word as I’ve never checked the pockets with a bore guage myself.

--- End quote ---

He's not wrong. we make a housing repair/cutting tool for where the races spin and screw up the pockets. Pop in a couple outside spacers and good to go again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version