Hello Guest

Author Topic: Ramcharger Build  (Read 67114 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Ramcharger Build
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
Isuz... woah!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 19, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »
Isuzu
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »
lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 19, 2018, 07:15:13 PM »
That’s ok kid. I can’t say chebboway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 21, 2018, 12:02:55 AM »
So they used isuzu tech, if it works, it work.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 21, 2018, 12:16:32 AM »
My point was JR it seems the Japanese incorporated this feature into the mainstream on most of their engine designs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:44:35 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 21, 2018, 05:54:52 PM »
My Excavator has a big Isuzu 6 cyl diesel engine with no emissions stuff at all. It is very similiar to the Cummins design. That motor is by far the smoothest, quietest, and just well put together diesel that I own. Heck thinking about it I own quite a few, what 7 of them currently...

Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:08 PM »
My point was JR it seems the Japanese incorporated this feature into the mainstream on most of their engine designs.

Oh, I knew where you were going. If a mouse trap works, speaking of, Don??

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »
Ok back to building, or in my case one step forward and two back.

So I found some time to continue the reassembly of the Cummins.  When I was inspecting the #1 rod I noticed that the rod bushing had more visual wear than the other rod from this engine.  So I got a reman rod from Cummins.  The new rods come with and updated design, from the pictures you can see the difference in the bushing groove.  All this being said the wear I am seeing most likely will not have any affect and it measured within spec but we all know how that story ends.

Next you can see my new Brazilian made Cummins pistons, as you can see the top groove has the steel enforcement, the ring gaps should be 120 degrees apart once assembled on the pistons.  The Cummins design also is a floating piston pin design and is held in place with snap rings.

Assembly is the same as any piston engine, I always submerge the piston with rings installed in a bowl of fresh oil before I install the piston/rod assembly in the block.
All was going well as you can see from the pictures.   

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »
Pictures are always good.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
So things are moving right along, laid the head gasket in place, set the new fresh cylinder head on the block drop the push rods in and install the rocker pedestals.

I bought new head bolts from the same people I got the Cummins overhaul kit from. I was concerned when I got them that they were not in a Cummins box, when I asked the company told me that they did that(removed from box) to save on shipping cost.  They were marked the same as my old units so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  So all is going to plan, following the Dodge torque spec per the FSM, 33, 66, 89ftlbs. THEN you are supposed to go +90 degrees.

As you can see from the picture one unit did not like the +90, SO now I suspect all of these bolts.  Back off all the bolts, remove the head.  Luckily the broken portion screwed out with my fingers so I didn’t have to drill.   

I will be making a trip to my local Cummins dealer for new head bolts and head gasket.  but life goes on!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
Pictures are always good.

Pictures are posted but someone has to approve!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
I see them all, no problem.

I don't like torque to yield crap. You would figure with all the 6BTs out there and the builds a good aftermarket set should be available. Studs are OK, but you have to machine for fit!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
fixed it for you phil
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
you should also be able to receive PM's as well now.  my apologies if you have not been able to in the past.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
I am used to being treated like a Mushroom, but thank you!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
I see them all, no problem.

I don't like torque to yield crap. You would figure with all the 6BTs out there and the builds a good aftermarket set should be available. Studs are OK, but you have to machine for fit!

Neither do I but up until this point I have never had an issue with yield to break.  I don't have a problem with studs other than the cost and the added machining that is required and for this build is not needed.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 25, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
Since Don started talking about head gaskets and since my yield to brake head bolts were not as advertised I had to get a new head gasket.  So thought I would do some comparison, Cummins, Felpro, Mahle. These are the main ones that you can get fairly easy.

1.  Cummins(Made in China) P/N 3283335 price with tax $170
2.  Felpro(Made in China) P/N 9313PT improved design Amazon delivered to my door  $54
3.  Mahle (Made in Mexico) P/N 4068C   Rockauto closeout sale.  $32

After doing a side by side comparison this is what I see externally, Felpro and the Cummins units are identical except for Cummins applies the orange silicone in one area Felpro dose not, even the base material as the same numbering and both are clearly stamped Made In China in the same exact place.  Physical weight is the same also.  Notice the G4194 number this number is on both the Cummins and Felpro units the base material.

The Mahle unit is the same as the Felpro as far as the silcone beads BUT the Mahle gasket is twice as heavy(weight) as the Cummins/Felpro design, I plan on disecting each one of these designs and see how they are made/assembled, but that will be when I have nothing better to do.

So decided to go with the Felpro and I applied Aviation form a Gasket to the areas that Cummins applied it on their unit that Felpro did not, everything is back together now and I will be returning my China made Cummins head gasket. I used USA made Cummins headbolts and they torqued right up like they were supposed to.

Last picture is the only place that Cummins applies the silicone (Headbolt hole edge) the Felpro dose not, I applied the Gasket sealer in this area on the Felpro unit I used.   

Going to send out my injection pump for go fast rebuild and upgrade, I will also be ordering new Turbo, Injectors.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 12:20:25 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 25, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 31, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
front barring tool for the cummins, this bolts on with the harmonic balancer and stays on, now you can turn the engine over with a 1/2 ratchet and not 5ft of extensions.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:36 PM »
did you buy that phil or make it?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
Nate, this is a store bought unit as i dont have time to make parts right now, very soon I will be able to do things like this.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 15, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »
Nate, this is a store bought unit as i dont have time to make parts right now, very soon I will be able to do things like this.

Care to share where?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 16, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
Of course, Fleece performance, a little more than the factory barring tool but it nice if you are doing work under the truck.  it looks good and the ratchet dose fit I have not installed yet.

https://fleeceperformance.com/cummins-crankshaft-barring-tool.html

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 16, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
Cool part, but $74.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 25, 2019, 07:16:26 PM »
The long block is 100% painted, now all the small stuff, Exh manifold, turbo, IP, lines, injectors, vacuum pump.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2019, 07:54:09 PM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal