Hello Guest

Author Topic: Don's 2024 Ram 3500  (Read 1774 times)

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Don's 2024 Ram 3500
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2024, 03:03:35 PM »
Yep, the tires look tiny in there.

Clean install though.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2024, 10:44:47 AM »
I know they do, and I'm not liking that much!

But first things first.

The suspension was the first big need, so I'll concentrate on that to where I have a good safe dual-use dually. One to drive around without a load, and one capable of driving around the back roads without falling on its side!

This brings up my next modification, a Rear sway bar.

I opted for a 1 5/16" Hellwig sway bar kit. The last time I did this I just created my own from a used F350 rear bar and added that to my Chevy. It worked very well on that 6" lift with a 37" tire truck. This truck, however, will never be lifted that far. I can see going with that Carli leveling kit I used on my 2022 Ram 35oo, but that's it. Also, with this being a dually, I do not see it with huge tires. I am unsure what the OD is for this Nexus 235R80/17, but it can't be very tall. I may look into something in the 33" range on a slightly wider wheel. I am also not keen on the two-wheel concept. It seems like the front wheels are different than the rear outboard wheels and they are very different from the dual inner wheels which are steel! I can see a change coming there, and my preference would be to switch up to an all-steel wheel setup a little bigger in diameter with a 33"-34" tall tire.

I have a pretty deep for a Cummins, 4.10 gear. These trucks come with a 3.55 to a 3.73 and that is just fine. The 4.10 feels over-geared to me so a slight reduction is in order. It has gobs + gobs of power so a slight cut will not affect me I am thinking. It may even help the mileage some. BTW, that is running in the mid-15 MPG range. That is 2-3 mpg worse than my single rear wheel 3500 with 3.73 gears.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2024, 10:45:52 AM »
No assembly pics, but the kit relocates the brake lines and fits very well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:11 AM »
I may be adding one of those finned rear diff covers to dissipate heat since this truck will spend its life pulling or hauling a bunch of weight for many hours at speed. The Hellwig bar has ample clearance.

The end links fasten to upper mounts which simply clamp/sandwich around the frame. Simple and clever design!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2024, 10:49:14 AM »
So, there you have it, the rear sway bar installed and ready for service!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2024, 10:51:04 AM »
I purchased a couple of energy suspension pads to replace the factory-installed scuff pads. The idea is to close up some of that clearance to the 4th spring leaf.
The top pic shows the spacing on the overload with 80 psi air in those airbags.

And, I have a problem. For some reason, both bags lost pressure overnight! I do not know why, but the fact that both did so is troubling. Why is it that seemingly, nothing you buy these days works very well? I consistently have to fix things that are new or that are supposed to "work well" to fix some problem???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:53:43 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2024, 11:20:16 AM »
Don, i have the same truck as yours just a 2015. Its a 3500 dually. I usually just lurk reading all the info this site has. I have to jump in with a warning. We care about you and your families safety. Don’t over estimate those Nexen tires. They are total garbage and i am surprised there has not been a class action lawsuit yet. They are SO DANGEROUS.
My truck weighs 10,000-14,000 daily. I have had six of those Nexens either break belts, bulge sidewalls, or simply blowout. The fronts are not up to the task. Even at 80 psi cold they look like they need air.
When i got the truck i went directly to discount tire to trade them in on some better tires. Discount has always done this. This time they declined due to liability. They told me the tires were dangerous. So i ran them trying to not be wasteful. None made it to 19,000. Just look up the reviews in the forums to see how they are working out.
I know you plan to swap them so just monitor them. With a slide in camper those fronts are going to be hurting. And, a failure there could be catastrophic.

Edit: I just called Kyle, a guy I have known/trusted for years. He has heard about the Nexen tire thing, but he said he only knows of problems with the 8-ply tires and not the 10-ply ones like I have. He actually said he thought they were very reliable and has not seen problems at all with them.
Hmmm.
Anyway, I asked him to find me a tire package of a larger size to give me an option...

More to follow...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:10:30 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2024, 11:49:57 AM »
Tires were in the mix anyway for an upgrade, right?

I think the rear end would love some synthetic oil too and sure the stock stuff has all the break in it needs.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2024, 12:52:28 PM »
Don, i have the same truck as yours just a 2015. Its a 3500 dually. I usually just lurk reading all the info this site has. I have to jump in with a warning. We care about you and your families safety. Don’t over estimate those Nexen tires. They are total garbage and i am surprised there has not been a class action lawsuit yet. They are SO DANGEROUS.
My truck weighs 10,000-14,000 daily. I have had six of those Nexens either break belts, bulge sidewalls, or simply blowout. The fronts are not up to the task. Even at 80 psi cold they look like they need air.
When i got the truck i went directly to discount tire to trade them in on some better tires. Discount has always done this. This time they declined due to liability. They told me the tires were dangerous. So i ran them trying to not be wasteful. None made it to 19,000. Just look up the reviews in the forums to see how they are working out.
I know you plan to swap them so just monitor them. With a slide in camper those fronts are going to be hurting. And, a failure there could be catastrophic.
Holy crap, I had no idea!
I have a trusted tire guy here. I'll call him right away. So any suggestions for a larger diameter tire that would fit my current wheels? Or do I have to jump in and do it all right away???

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 12:54:32 PM »
Tires were in the mix anyway for an upgrade, right?

I think the rear end would love some synthetic oil too and sure the stock stuff has all the break in it needs.
Good idea JR. I'm already looking for that finned cover.

I will be using the camper/truck for a trip over to W VA in a little over a week. I am now concerned that those tires will be safe for that??? I wonder why Dodge put them on the truck to begin with???

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2024, 01:29:29 PM »
Cheap

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2024, 01:59:45 PM »
Cheap
That's what I was thinking, but guess what? According to my tire store, the Nexens are one of the pricier tires! Kyle said they are upscale tires over many of the routine tires we see. They are one of the more expensive of his offerings, and he does sell them occasionally. His tire shop is not affiliated with any tire manufacturer. Almost everyone shows up with their own tires, and he just installs them and maintains them.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2024, 02:20:02 PM »
Well, either way they will not provide the traction you need or look right. Sounds like they have a safety issue too?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2024, 03:12:07 PM »
Mine were the same as the ones on your truck. My truck is a copy of yours just in a 2015 model. A couple of my subs had the exact same issue as did my brother in law.
The designer of the tire was on Cummins Forum. He said Dodge paid $40 per tire and price was one of the most important aspects of the tire.
Just keep an eye on them. Mine would start thumping. Then when looking at them they would football the tread. Or, the sidewall would bulge out.
Every tire, i had seven, that touched the front axle eventually failed spectacularly. But, i am in Texas where it gets HOT. And, with posted speeds up to 80 MPH tires get stressed. That and my truck is heavier than stock due to tools, equipment, and additional on board fuel. But, my GVWR is 14,000 and i flirt with that at least half the time. The tires are supposed to accommodate a dually and be designed for this truck so it should not matter.
My tires were also made in 2015, the first few weeks of it. All were done by or before 19,000 miles and a year.
When you get new tires compare them to the Nexens both in weight and sidewall thickness. The sidewalls are pretty thin.
Not saying you will have them fail right away. Just be careful. I did not feel right not saying anything.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2024, 05:35:55 PM »
I have tried to go with a larger tire but my issue was the 6” wheels. Guys run a wider tire but they pucker because the wheel is too narrow. You have to run enough air in them so they do not rub on the duals unless you run spacers. I’m not a fan of spacers. With enough air so that they don’t rub you end up only running 3-4” contact patches in the center of the tire.
I have looked at 18x8 wheels. Then went to 19.5 wheels and tires just to abandon that idea due to a harsh ride. Then full circle to giving up and going with the stock size in a better tire. The better all terrains better fill the wheel wells some. They usually have a more aggressive tread and the sidewalls have tread that rolls over some. I have ran Cooper ST Maxx tires. They were ok but would rotate on the wheels under heavy braking in the front. They also threw every weight i had on them. I ended up going with solid non biodegradable air soft pellets in the tires. .25g from Walmart. Maximum precision brand @$12.00 total. That was an amazing way to dynamically balance the tires and balance them as they rotated on the wheels. Now i have Nitto Exo Grapplers. These never move or throw weights but i have more pellets waiting to go in if needed.
When Ram was bidding the tires they had a maximum price point of $40 per tire. Before Nexen they used General. Nexen was one of three or four companies that bid the Ram tire contract and Nexen was the only company to be able to hit the price point.
The following is a DOT. And my opinion based on articles i read years ago and my own experiences. Manufacturers go to tire companies and have the company build a tire that hits their price point and quality target. Then they place a huge order built to spec. These tires will be a different quality than if you went into the store to get the same unit. The Firestone Transforce tires found on the 2500 trucks is a good example of this. My Transforce tires on my previous 14 were gone by 15,000 miles. This was also the case with a buddys truck. We got a good deal on some from Discount and ran them again. Same look same name. Way different mileage experiences. They wore like iron. We even had some on a trailer that rotted before the tread was gone.
The tires from the manufacturer need to be cheap, quiet, and offer good braking. They don’t care about a mileage target or long life. When you go to a tire shop these tires usually have a better warranty and mileage target often covered by a warranty. These tires are often built to a different standard even though they look the same. They have different rubber compounds etc. This could explain why Discount Tire refused to buy my new take offs even though they sold the same Nexen tire in the store. I literally drove four miles from the dealer to their store like i always did. But, this Nexen was one tire they could not purchase as a take off.
These trucks are in a power and payload war. The maximum payload is listed on the door along with GVWR and a sticker tallying options like steps and such can lower this payload number. If you can save a few pounds per tire times seven tires your payload goes up and pounds count all the while keeping the 14,000 GVWR intact.
Another example of this coming from the Chevy and Duramax arena is the AC Delco brand of parts. That brand has the same name and you can find three different levels of parts. Each looking the same mostly but with a different price point and expected service life.
I will end the rambling. Just knowing you need to be on the lookout for any vibration that could be a tire will keep you safer until you can decide which direction to go. Like i said previously, i am surprised there has not been a class action lawsuit yet. There are numerous threads discussing this on the different forums and such. And, Ram went cheap on tires where they are an easy fix. I prefer they spend the money on things that are harder to fix like the Aisin and Cummins.
Other than tires I have had no other issues. Not a single one on anything. The Cummins and Aisin are simply great together. I HATED my 68rfe and its the reason i ditched the truck. It was on its third transmission by 14,800 miles. Yes, 14,800.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2024, 08:00:55 PM »
Well, Jared, you make a convincing argument, and I am heeding your advice, sort of.

I have my tire guy looking into this. Right off he said I could go to a 255/80 in several brands to get a bit taller. I was thinking something like a BFG AT, but I need to do more homework.

My conditions are way different than yours. I think I will flirt with the max GWT for sure. I had a max payload of just under 5,000. The camper weighs 3,400 and then there's 45 gal of water, her and I and she is now filling that camper with a kitchen, dry goods, and a hundred other things. I'm sure she will add 200 lbs. all said and done. I want to add a bumper and winch and a toolbox, and I have already bolted on 100+ pounds of airbags and sway bar stuff.

But it is not as hot here and I do not drive 80. Temps will be 10f-20f cooler than the Texas and I drive 70-73ish.

I am wondering about this front tire issue. Can't say I have run into that before. But I have never owned a dually before with that strange wide stance.

I'll report what Kyle comes up with for a good tire choice, and I should stay with the stock skinny wheels as the aftermarket stuff is just too expensive. I may have to run a rear spacer, Dunno, but if that's what it takes to get a better/best tire, then I will consider it.

For now, I'll bust out and over to West (by God) Virginia on the tires I have with these suspension improvements and see how all that works. That will give me another 500 miles of highway and a bunch of back-country driving.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2024, 08:04:41 PM »
As I have posted previously, you’re not gonna find a wider rim unless you increase the wheel diameter.
There are a few tire brands that make a 255/80/17 that give you a 33” tall tire and keep you in the 10” wide range. Load range D or E being your capacity requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2024, 08:09:13 PM »
As I have posted previously, you’re not gonna find a wider rim unless you increase the wheel diameter.
There are a few tire brands that make a 255/80/17 that give you a 33” tall tire and keep you in the 10” wide range. Load range D or E being your capacity requirements.

Concur...

That's where Kyle is, checking out the 255R80 in E range 10 ply.

Probably where I'll land and I don't think I'll be opting for a wider wheel at the moment.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2024, 08:14:17 PM »
I kicked around and found one good leak in an airbag fitting. It was a metric crap-ton of work to get that thing back out, repaired and back in. I cleaned the fitting then used old-school Teflon tape and fixed that leak. On the passenger side, I can't find a leak, but the bag lost pressure overnight so something is going on there...

Fixed, and 100 psi of air in the bags the suspension stood right up:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2024, 08:16:12 PM »
While I had the springs all expanded, I popped out the factory scuff pad on the bottom leaf and installed a poly bump stop about 3/4" tall.

Letting the air out of the bags, I saw a slight improvement over the same pack without the spacer:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2024, 08:17:44 PM »
Next I added that block from the spacer stack I did not install earlier back into the block on the overload spring. That helped some as well. I am now fully engaging most of the spring pack with the camper sitting there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2024, 08:20:00 PM »
All spacers now installed, enough with the experimentation..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2024, 08:20:55 PM »
100 psi air and the modded spring pack:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2024, 08:21:49 PM »
And, with the air, there is some suspension travel to play with. the spring opened back up with the air springs inflated.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2024, 09:34:03 PM »
Did those pads in post #55 go in the stock hole our need hardware?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2024, 09:11:07 AM »
Did those pads in post #55 go in the stock hole our need hardware?
Stock hole...5 min mod

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2024, 03:31:14 PM »
Got a link? I see many pads but they all seem to be bolt on or stock replacement. I have a couple gone already (250k)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2024, 11:52:33 PM »
Sorry JR, I can't recall whom I ordered them from

I'm a bonehead!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2024, 07:24:48 AM »
Don, save a few bucks and get the AAM rear finned cover that used to come stock on the RAM.  Much cheaper and more factory looking than some of the big aftermarket finned covers.  Gale Banks did a piece on big flat aftermarket covers and they don’t keep the oil slinging up on the carrier well.

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/74030017-oe-dodge-ram-gm-aam-11-5-aluminum-finned-differential-cover-kit/?=74030017&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYS_JFHwVGHlzctVDmfmHn9YKF4d8fjnw_yopI9aLFO9P3sLppl0uExoCKOsQAvD_BwE

I ran this cover on mine.  I even had a temp probe in both that and the factory cover where I welded in a bung.  Shocker, it didnt lower the temp more than a couple of degrees but it looked good and made me feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2024, 07:27:33 AM »
Don, save a few bucks and get the AAM rear finned cover that used to come stock on the RAM.  Much cheaper and more factory looking than some of the big aftermarket finned covers.  Gale Banks did a piece on big flat aftermarket covers and they don’t keep the oil slinging up on the carrier well.

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/74030017-oe-dodge-ram-gm-aam-11-5-aluminum-finned-differential-cover-kit/?=74030017&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYS_JFHwVGHlzctVDmfmHn9YKF4d8fjnw_yopI9aLFO9P3sLppl0uExoCKOsQAvD_BwE

I ran this cover on mine.  I even had a temp probe in both that and the factory cover where I welded in a bung.  Shocker, it didnt lower the temp more than a couple of degrees but it looked good and made me feel better.

I remember reader all that business. You did your own investigation and found it was all but useless to install a different cover.

Banks video on the whole design of the cover with his clear copies was prettt slick.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2024, 10:04:00 AM »

Red-

Thanks for the tip/link ;-)

I ordered it

Funny, but that is the one I was thinking about, since it came stock on the AAM biggin'

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2024, 01:16:57 PM »
No real airflow back there, but I like mine too. The few degrees cooler could even be you add a little more fluid.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2024, 07:55:00 PM »
No real airflow back there, but I like mine too. The few degrees cooler could even be you add a little more fluid.
I ordered the one Tex shared the link to. That and some good synthetic and if nothing else, I'll feel better ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2024, 03:53:01 PM »
Progress report: This morning I checked the PAC 7500 lb air bags. Both of them were at zero pressure! ZERO!

I am so tired of buying junk and wasting my good time bolting on things that do not work. I did everything according to the instructions, and right out of the gate on the first trial both bags leaked.

I found a leaky fitting on the drivers bag which caused me to remove the air line, then the air fitting. Now with everything bolted securely in place, it is super hard to get to that fitting. Bit I managed to get it out, then wrapped it with teflon tape, then reinstalled it. After spraying soap solution all over it I didn't get any bubbling like I had earlier. so i figured that was fine. Obviously it was not.

The right side showed no bubbling but I did find a kink in the line, so I cut out that section and spliced it back together. Checking with soap again showed no bubbling. Fast forward 3 days and both bags were flat.

I am contacting Pac Air and the seller and asking for my money back. I am not going with anything unreliable, and these bags certainly are.

I'll replace them with some Timbren rubber springs and call that all done.

I did notice some porpoising on dips and expansion joints. All I can figure is that I have preloaded and tightened up the rear suspension and that is now transferring more energy, wheelbarrow style to the front that the weak factory shocks cannot handle.

I was going to go with some Carli parts, so that is now the road I will be going down. Tate, expect a call...

Note: The Carli Suspension stuff that Tate sold me for the other Ram 3500 worked well and caused no problems.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2024, 10:48:42 PM »
I have Firestone bags, zero issues
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2024, 02:44:42 PM »
My truck is sitting at the RV dealer serving as a truck camper dolly!

With the parts having been ordered to fix that, I think I need to go get the camper just to get the truck home so I can continue working on it.

I completed a research effort on those Nexens and I will be replacing them before leaving to go anywhere. I just purchased seven Toyo Open Country RT trail tires. I went up to 255/80R17. That will give me a slightly taller tire at 33.1" and will fit the stock wheels and wheel wells without modification. In my opinion, I do not like tall, big tire duallys and think something closer to stock looks best on those work-oriented trucks.

The Toyo is a great top-tier company and has the best reviews. An American-built tire will be reshoeing my dually.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal