Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 2  (Read 57886 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 2
« Reply #700 on: March 07, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
Any of them......

front diff, transfer case, trans, oil, water, rear diff, wiper fluid......
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
Don why did you not get upgraded longer braided brake lines?  Don’t those provide better brake pedal push?

All things involved it looks great.  Hope to hear it soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 07, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »
transfer case...….

he still hasent pulled it...if he did, he did not mention it?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 07, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
transfer case...….

He hasn't pulled it yet - just ordered the MA kit today (so he sayz)
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 07, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
Concurrently, I am fitting out the vehicle with overlanding kit. Here is my choice to keep things cool. After much advice from the forum, I did go with the recommendations to purchase a high quality cooler and not a refrig unit. I chose the Pelican 70 Qt as my primary cold storage unit

I purchased a single dry basket, but after seeing the quality and fit, I just ordered a second one

After relooking the storage plan, I changed up the seat arrangement. Initially putting that empty but still heavy thing on top of the soon to be bed, I decided to fold the existing double seat and put it there. With this space now to be used for the cooler and for general packing, I will mount the seat I removed and make that a passenger seat

I meant to comment on this the other day, but got side tracked doing something else....squirrel

of all the roto molded coolers on the market today, I definitely would not think twice or question the cost of a pelican unit! 

here is why I say that:

I have traveled all over this planet and lugged all kinds of sensitive equipment with to ensure that I can do what it was that I did, and every time that equipment was packed into a pelican case! 

myself and every one of my nuggets punished and beat the crap out of those pelican cases more than any civilian could ever think about doing

they have been subjected to temperature fluctuations that can fry an egg during the day to freezing water at night

and not once has a hinge, latch, seal or even the actual case cracked or failed.   

oh and I may have 1 or 2 of those cases/tough boxes still in use. 

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 2
« Reply #705 on: March 07, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »
Chief, not sure what first aid kit you ordered, but it seems most of them come with less of
The stuff you’ll use/need, and more of
The stuff that is just that... stuff.  I spent some time a while back finding a kit that was a good base, then added a smidge of things to it. It now travels EVERYWHERE with us, to include every flight in a carry on.

Maybe consider adjusting the kit a wee bit when it shows up.

I know there’s some EMS guys on here that might be able to give some decent pointers, maybe they’ll give their input.

Awesome to see your making great progress!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 07, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »
Maybe a little smaller package than he put in CMax.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 07, 2019, 11:31:43 PM »
We use a bunch of different protective cases at work. Everything from Flambeu to Pelican in all shapes and sizes. I think all of them are broken in some fashion, expect for the pelicans.

Building a med kit is definitely the way to go. Unless you’re planning on spending some major coin the pre bundled kits are mostly junk.

Compared to other you’ve had, what are your thoughts on the BDS kit so far Chief?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 08, 2019, 03:54:24 AM »
I still have a pelican that went through a garage fire in 06. Scorched as you know what, but the $1000 transmitter was just fine and had to cut it open with a sawsall.

Maybe start with one of those new HF cases? Hard to go wrong for $40 and you always get a pelican later?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 08, 2019, 06:04:43 AM »
The med kit question is one I keep coming back to. What and how much. I’m always frustrated looking at the kits online but also get overwhelmed when looking to build my own out. My dad has some experience building out big kits, he started the local life squad from nothing and kitted it out and designed the squad vehicles. I guess I just need to give him something to do and have home build me a couple up.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:20 AM »
Don had a thread about med kits a long time ago.  I've been building kits from supplies from these guys

https://www.chinookmed.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Search%20-%20Branded&utm_term=Chinook%20Medical&utm_content=Chinook%20Medical
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »
Don why did you not get upgraded longer braided brake lines?  Don’t those provide better brake pedal push?

All things involved it looks great.  Hope to hear it soon

Dave, those are just not necessary. Most of these hoses are braided anyway and easily capable of doing the job. I am not increasing pressures and like the Amsoil thing, braided over stock are a very minimal improvement vs several times the cost. Just doesn't check the "Makes sense" block in my mind.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:26 AM »
transfer case...….

He hasn't pulled it yet - just ordered the MA kit today (so he sayz)
Correct, Just ordered it

There is a method to this work which seems somewhat like a bit chaotic. Essentially moving from front to back, most important to least. When I can bring in things like the cooler and mats and stuff like that that does not impact the busy work schedule, I do so and start to stack that stuff in there so I am constantly getting a better sense of how this thing has to evolve.

So, transmission VB is today, and coming right up is the rear axle. Which means I will be pulling the driveshaft right after the trans is finished. That's in a couple days (minus family and church time) which should sync up with the arrival of the Merchant parts

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
Chief, not sure what first aid kit you ordered, but it seems most of them come with less of
The stuff that is just that... stuff.  I spent some time a while back finding a kit that was a good base, then added a smidge of things to it. It now travels EVERYWHERE with us, to include every flight in a carry on.

I know there’s some EMS guys on here that might be able to give some decent pointers, maybe they’ll give their input.

Copy that T

So as always the plan was to purchase the basic kit. I did based on what it had (Like 350 pieces) and available storage space. I plan to velcro that to the aft hatch, so initial size, about 12" X 10" X 8" was a big consideration

I will add a bunch of stuff to it, and additionally store other stuff that I may need, but not common use like Israeli bandages, in the vehicle somewhere

I picked up some perfect Bosch L-boxes that are deeper and fill up the drawers completely. One will be a tool box, another a cooking box, a third a catch all. I think you'll like the organization I get out of the packing scheme

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 08, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »
Don had a thread about med kits a long time ago.  I've been building kits from supplies from these guys

https://www.chinookmed.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Search%20-%20Branded&utm_term=Chinook%20Medical&utm_content=Chinook%20Medical
That's what I'm doing, as I just mentioned.
This is not a "Combat" medkit, but an "Overlander" one. Combat medkit is already built up in a small ruck. Should I get into a more serious situation, that ruck would get tossed inside prior to lighting off the spark plugs

Nevertheless, a throat tube, some clotting bandages or powder, some steri closure strips, a big abdominal bandage and am asherman chest seal along with my fav Israeli battle bandage is always along for the ride. For anything beyond that, there is one of my aviatin' brothers in a whirly bird

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 08, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

Copy that T

So as always the plan was to purchase the basic kit. I did based on what it had (Like 350 pieces) and available storage space. I plan to velcro that to the aft hatch, so initial size, about 12" X 10" X 8" was a big consideration

I will add a bunch of stuff to it, and additionally store other stuff that I may need, but not common use like Israeli bandages, in the vehicle somewhere

I picked up some perfect Bosch L-boxes that are deeper and fill up the drawers completely. One will be a tool box, another a cooking box, a third a catch all. I think you'll like the organization I get out of the packing scheme

Sounds like a solid plan! Look forward to seeing it. Does anybody make a molle type mount for the rear hatch? Similar to what they do on certain seat covers.

Could be handy.... but it could also overload the lift struts.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 08, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »

This is not a "Combat" medkit, but an "Overlander" one. Combat medkit is already built up in a small ruck. Should I get into a more serious situation, that ruck would get tossed inside prior to lighting off the spark plugs

Nevertheless, a throat tube, some clotting bandages or powder, some steri closure strips, a big abdominal bandage and am asherman chest seal along with my fav Israeli battle bandage is always along for the ride. For anything beyond that, there is one of my aviatin' brothers in a whirly bird
Since we travel with a small child I bought a couple RAT tourniquets because windlass styles like the CAT aren’t effective on pediatrics. The RAT isn’t on “the list” but it’s the best option I could find for limbs that small. Something is better than nothing. A nasal airway is cheap and is a good alternative to the oral in case someone still has an intact gag reflex. I’d also consider a pocket mask (with one way valve) if you don’t already have one. I am extremely picky on who I’d use one on but since I usually travel with family there could be a need for it. Aspirin is good also. Been on more than one car wreck that was the result of cardiac failure.

Just FYI on the aspirin for cardiac issues should the need arise for.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:37:56 PM by longball »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 08, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »

Since we travel with a small child I bought a couple RAT tourniquets because windlass styles like the CAT aren’t effective on pediatrics. The RAT isn’t on “the list” but it’s the best option I could find for limbs that small. Something is better than nothing. A nasal airway is cheap and is a good alternative to the oral in case someone still has an intact gag reflex. I’d also consider a pocket mask (with one way valve) if you don’t already have one. I am extremely picky on who I’d use one on but since I usually travel with family there could be a need for it. Aspirin is good also. Been on more than one car wreck that was the result of cardiac failure.

Just FYI on the aspirin for cardiac issues should the need arise for.

james, this is great information.  do you have more little cheater cards like this?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 08, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
I do have a couple more that may be useful. Sorry for the DOT boss.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
cool.

so the reason I was asking, is because I think that this could be valuable information for some folks to have.  could we talk you into doing a little emergency info thread down in the realman knowledge section?

NOTE:
I do understand that there is some information that you cannot share because you are not a certified instructor and a majority of the folks here are not EMT Basic certified
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:25:03 PM by Nate »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 08, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
Sure, I’ll see what I can work up.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 09, 2019, 08:18:52 AM »
cool.

so the reason I was asking, is because I think that this could be valuable information for some folks to have.  could we talk you into doing a little emergency info thread down in the realman knowledge section?

NOTE:
I do understand that there is some information that you cannot share because you are not a certified instructor and a majority of the folks here are not EMT Basic certified
I second the Sergeant's motion. Please add to our knowledge base, and I Will add all the items mentioned to my kit. And speaking of kit, it came in today

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 09, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »
Fresh out of the box

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 09, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
Clearly labeled, but not much extra room, so I'll be adding an additional, EMT type second kit

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 09, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
As for mounting...I like velcro!

Hope the back hatch gas struts are up to the task

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 09, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
And it fits PERFECTLY

And

It acts as a drawer keeper shutter device as well

Koul!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 09, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »
And time to play "Shiny new things"

Here is the smittyBilt winch bobbin that will grace the front of Bear's magnificent front bumper

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
The newer Muffla'

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 09, 2019, 08:29:56 AM »
A Bosch "L" Box catch all organizer drawer that will find a home somewhere in the madness

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 09, 2019, 08:32:44 AM »
And the larger, Mo-Deeper L-Box for the passenger drawer. This one will house a stove, fuel, maybe some fightin' tools or cookware. Thinking of gettin' Nate to put together a camper-cooker setup so I can go gourmet atop the continental divide

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
Had to add a spacer to the newly coated front driveshaft. Its a part of the BDS kit that I was trippin' over, so with respect to public safety, I removed it from the floor!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
Then it was valve body time...A dark, and oily time. A time that will not be remembered as a fun time. It was a time of slowness, anxiety, oily hair-back-arms-other places, it was a time set to the annals of history best forgotten. I shall but mention it once for historical correctness, but hereafter it shall be as most bad memories, washed away in the warm fog of good KY bourbon.

Here's what the demon thing looked like hidin' it its shifty lair:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 09, 2019, 08:41:18 AM »
The pan, still red with the blood of its victims was a place of much runnage. Even after a full day of draining it still managed to leak 60 gallons of the blood like swill mostly onto me. Good news is that my body and clothing absorbed most of the diseased matter, keeping the floor relatively clean for a short time.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 09, 2019, 08:45:08 AM »
Even though the first 60 gallons of ripened blood played about all over everything, when the "Shiftiness" was ripped from the bowls of this transmissionary beast, yet another 60 gallons of fermented blood, virus, and contamination leaked, well, poured out. Unfortunately, my body was unable to absorb any more, so the floor became a slick nightmare resembling the center of lake erie during a good winter freeze. You know, the place that although made of solid ice, swallows men and ships alike with narry a whisper of their passing into eternal doom and darkness.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 09, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »
And upon further disassembly, what did I find???

5 more gallons of greasy swill. Enough to soak my work bench. I mean, hey, why not, it was the only island of cleanliness remaining in west end of my home!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 09, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
But then, I'd had enough!

I did what any brave warrior would do...

I drilled a hole right through the center of its aura with a silver drill bit and killed it on the spot.

Claiming victory, and revelling. in all the newly found freedom of movement from the total lack of friction from my well lubricated hoodie. I continued my murderous modification, changing the very nature of the shifty thing to reflect my WILL! For not it's will, be done, but mine!

And Father, I in no way mean any insult what so ever by making a biblical reference, just pointing out that you gave us dominion over the earth, and this wretched thing is a part of that earth, so I am just making it behave. Above all else, I love you Jesus, and Father God, and I want to make that abundantly clear!!!!!!!!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 09, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
And then after several more hours of cautiously working about this thing in the same manner one would navigate around a well populated mine field or with a conversation with the fairer sex, I had it all changed over to goodness. The parts of the carnage were but few, but the changes were nothing less than earth shaking.

Now if the darned thing will work...""#$)(#!!!!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 09, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
This stuff works well

Holds things together like the 1/4" balls onto their one nanometer wide perch.

I wonder if it works on relationships???

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 09, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
I coated up the pan after a good cleanin'.

This KBS stuff is really hard stuff. Like JB-Weld in paint form. Put it on and it takes a bipartisan act of congress to remove

(Read: Never gonna happen!)

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 09, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
And finally, an aerial view of the battlefield:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 09, 2019, 09:18:47 AM »
So in much less words.  Was the task difficultly what? 1 being my 11 year old could do it 10 being Tony Stark/Ironman?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 09, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »
And the larger, Mo-Deeper L-Box for the passenger drawer. This one will house a stove, fuel, maybe some fightin' tools or cookware. Thinking of gettin' Nate to put together a camper-cooker setup so I can go gourmet atop the continental divide

this may be a possibility....

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 09, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
So in much less words.  Was the task difficultly what? 1 being my 11 year old could do it 10 being Tony Stark/Ironman?

The difficulty was up there, but well within the well versed do it-yourselfer capabilities. Thing is, the instructions did not tell you how to do a task, for example, but would simply say "Remove the fornortin tube, and replace plunger with the detented supplied part and install a pink and a white spring.

I had to look all over the place to find the fornortin tube. then try and figure out how to dismantle it. Once I got into it, the way it fit/worked became self evident. There were places where having three six fingered hands would have been helpful.

Difficulty, not so much as not knowing what I'd find when I opened the door, and having to figure out which door, and where it might be located.

Sitting here now, and thinking back, I am sure I got it 100% right.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 09, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
Should have the trans pan back on tomorrow. Spent the day selling SquareD parts.

After the trans, I may do the electric steps prior to ripping out the transfer case and getting all oily again.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 09, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »
Should not get oily from the transfer case. May see a few drops, but more than that you’re doing something wrong.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 09, 2019, 04:07:48 PM »
Should not get oily from the transfer case. May see a few drops, but more than that you’re doing something wrong.

Not sure about Canadian transmissions/gearboxes, but US stuff has second generation fluid multiplier technology
-really
You never run dry, never need to change fluid, and can always spot up new driveways! (can't wait to visit that Dave in the Salt Lake!)

THis device creates matter. Yep, only place in the physical world that can do it. You add a quart, give it some time and drain a gallon!

Witness my transmission. I think it can be proven that 60 gallons leaked out of the thing, after I drained it! Another sixty when I pulled the shifty thing out of its lair. Then five more gallons came out on my table.

See! 125 known gallons came out of that trans, after it had been drained. So, ya, if there was a little bit of vapor in the transfer case before I pull it apart, I had better get my immersion suit ready!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:09:06 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 09, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »
Should have the trans pan back on tomorrow. Spent the day selling SquareD parts.

After the trans, I may do the electric steps prior to ripping out the transfer case and getting all oily again.
I think the square D thread needs updated with people purchasing parts and seeing the truck dismembered
As for my fresh concrete driveway.  It will be oil proof before you get here.  Epoxy the world!!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:35:15 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 09, 2019, 10:14:14 PM »

I think the square D thread needs updated with people purchasing parts and seeing the truck dismembered
As for my fresh concrete driveway.  It will be oil proof before you get here.  Epoxy the world!!

SquareD is basically gone, he posted it up somewhere that it’s basically a frame, bed and topper.  However a picture of its remnants would be neat.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 10, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
Yeah, some pics would be nice. You know, no pics and it didn't happen.

Nice FA kit, was it about $150?

You do like getting things messy don't you. Bet a few words flew as the blood ran down your arms.           

I like magnaflows, went on my last 2 exhausts.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 10, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »

We shall see my cabinet buildin' friend! We shall see...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal