VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

The Building of Hank!

(1/19) > >>

wyorunner:
Alright Guys and Gals, Boys and Girls, It is officially go time. Although it has arrived it may be slow at first, but hopefully continual progress will be made. The end goal is a crew cab with a 12valve cummins in it. Wife and I have been wanting a simple and rugged/durable truck for a while. Cummins was also the go to power plant for simplicity and durability. The chosen body was something that took a minute to get too. We talked burbs (70s models) or crew cab chevys. Then I found that dodge made some crew cab power wagons and first gens, and I set my mind on having one of these. Took a few years to get one, but finally one was able to be purchased. After a few thousand miles in a few short days we had our crew cab home with us here in AZ. For a little more information on the decision see my original thread http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1274.0 (couldn't figure out how to hyperlink the word thread, I tried).

So we bought the Crew Cab out of Montana, and the donor truck out of Phoenix. The CrewCab is a 1974 with a rebuilt 440 and NP435, and I even have the receipts from the work! Has D70s under it with 4.10s according to the numbers I was able to provide Tate. Mileage, well who knows and who cares. It also has the divorced 205 transfer case.

The donor is a 1992 (11/91) club cab 250 that has lived its life in AZ. It has the 12valve, a 4 spd auto and a transfer case I am assuming is an NP205 (haven't looked yet). This truck would a great place to start for a rebuild if you wanted a club cab, as much of the work has already been done. That being said we want a crew cab not a club cab, that was part of this whole undertaking it had to have four doors. I will be taking the axles, and drivetrain from this 92 and placing them ever so neatly into the crew cab. The pump has been rebuilt according to PO, and he bought the truck with a broken transmission so that too has been rebuilt. As far as I know to stock specs. Mileage, also not truly known, but after talking to a cummins man before looking at it, I am going to think its somewhere in the mid 150s. It doesn't blow smoke unless power braked, the oil drip tube on the drivers side of the engine (can't think of proper term) is not wet nor can I get it wet, and it also does not blow any smoke. Therefore I believe it to be a young and healthy heart....just the item we need! I believe it has a 70 in the rear again thanks to Tate and his number magic. Both front and rear tags state it has 3.54s, which is what I want as we will not be running anything bigger than 35s (so I say now).

So the plan.... Get started immediately, pull the unwanted boat anchors under the crew cab. Then pull the 12valve/transmission/transfer case. Do a bit of frame touch up and steering sorting and then install cummins. Drive like the dickens, pull back into the house and have some whiskey.

Just loaded ready to leave MT.

South of Casper at the beginning of my longest day (18hrs).

At home.

Original green...Thought about trying to bring it back...Not happening.

Donor of love just before leaving its PO's home.

More to follow of course, will add pic tours of the donor tomorrow.

If you are interested in any of the following please let me know:

rebuilt 440/np435
closed knuckle dana 70 front with 4.10s
dana70 rear with 4.10s
divorced 205 transfercase
almost complete 1992 dodge club cab body

I will gladly pallet and ship if you are willing to pay the shipping costs.

Turner

JR:
This will be good and don't get rushed. BD is on build day like 275 or something, not including time off.

Those parts should go easy, lots of diehard fans.

Tates a good guy and Randys like my CC.

Flyin6:
This will no doubt be another well thought out build. Concept is solid, seems to be well financed, achievable, and lots of commitment

This is where most of us will end up going in time once it fully settles in just what modern trucks have become...wasteful and burdened with the results of foolish bureaucratic handiwork

OldKooT:
Congrats man, awesome to see you scored your next piece in the puzzle. So now all you need to do is start wrenching and have fun  8)

With that said, we are going to put some miles on the Ramcharger today tooling around. I may go see what I can score that crew local to me for. Not sure why, like I need another Dodge LoL

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: OldKooT on August 20, 2015, 09:47:10 AM ---Congrats man, awesome to see you scored your next piece in the puzzle. So now all you need to do is start wrenching and have fun  8)

With that said, we are going to put some miles on the Ramcharger today tooling around. I may go see what I can score that crew local to me for. Not sure why, like I need another Dodge LoL

--- End quote ---

Yea you could probably use another one :o you guys should drive out here, and check out some of AZ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version