VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

After market transmission cooler advice

(1/3) > >>

South_GA_redneck:
I have a 14 model toyota tundra with the 4.6 liter engine, I should have gone with the 5.7 but I got a good deal on the truck and can't afford to take a loss on it yet... This is my delima, the truck is rated for 7200 lbs tow capacity (not 10k like the dealer told me, i know now thats only the 5.7 model) and my new camper weighs 6700 lbs (pretty much maxed out). Last weekend I went on a five hours trip and it pulled great there and back but when I got back to my campsite and was backing it in the trans fluid overheating light came on. My question is has anyone run in to a similar situation or can anyone recommend a good aftermarket external transmission cooler? Thanks in advance! 

TexasRedNeck:
Heat kills transmission. You are on the right track with an external cooler.  I'd service the trans and add a cooler and a real trans temp gauge. I don't know your line routing or set up but it shouldn't be hard. Get on big enough to keep it no higher than about 220. Run synthetic if you can and a thermostatically controlled unit would be preferable if you see any weather below freezing very often. Take some pics and let's see what you are working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRedNeck:
B&M 70266 and an Earls 501 as an example. The Earls has ports for a temp gauge too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South_GA_redneck:
I'll try to figure out how to post pics. For some reason it's easier to post download pics than it is ones I take... Does Tapatalk make that easier?

TexasRedNeck:
from the tapatalk app in your phone you can snap pics and load via the app. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version