Hello Guest

Author Topic: New toy '93 M998  (Read 931 times)

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
New toy '93 M998
« on: October 05, 2022, 10:49:22 AM »
I've always wanted one of these for the longest time & finally own one. It's a 93 M998 with the 6.2l & a 3sp. It came with a rod knock & so I'm currently in the search for a replacement 6.2. I'd like to replace it with a 6.5T & a 4sp, but not sure if I really wanna get into that. I simply want something reliable. It came with a soft top & doors. My plan is to fabricate a hard top, back wall & doors all out of 1/4" aluminum. I already have the sheets, just looking for a good time to start it.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New toy '93 M998
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 10:57:52 AM »
A man after my own heart.

Having driven and ridden around them on multiple continents, I have always wanted one for myself.

Odd how cramped they are for being so big inside!

Well-built 6.2 is fine, but do yourself a favor and add a turbo and injectors, head studs, and all that...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 11:07:47 AM »
Nice find! If you're looking for a plug and play engine/trans replacement, take a look at the military surplus auction sites. They used to have a lot of those powerplants for pretty cheap.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 11:12:53 AM »
I wish I could find the photo, but I was flying beside another Chinook once with one of those things on the cargo hook. The problem was the front legs had broken and the whole HMMV was only hanging on with the aft sling legs. And, yes, it ended badly...

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 02:26:50 PM »
Not sure if the company, but someone sells a kit to install a 6.6l in those. Or atleast for the original civilian hummer. Not sure of structural differences between the two.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 02:43:38 PM »
Not sure if the company, but someone sells a kit to install a 6.6l in those. Or atleast for the original civilian hummer. Not sure of structural differences between the two.
I know a guy with a runnin LBZ.
It is for sale…
Not sure if you’d want that challenge.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 03:46:02 PM »
On the surplus sites you can also find tops for them sometimes. 
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 06:26:07 PM »
Cool, 6.5 wasn't bad but no LBZ. Maybe a cummins/4l85 swap????
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 11:22:15 PM »
I know a guy with a runnin LBZ.
It is for sale…
Not sure if you’d want that challenge.
Personally, I have ZERO desire to ever own a hmmwv, and I don’t care what it’s powered by. I just don’t like them. I see the nostalgia, not denying that but never was something we had considered building.

The only reason I know some one sells a kit, is because I watched a friend do an install for one of his customers. Talk about a tight fit!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 06:43:18 AM »
Looks like a fun project. I’d go duramax in it like the H1 alpha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 08:26:20 AM »
I contacted a few places regarding door hardware. I asked if I could buy everything minus the actual aluminum. For what I was quoted, I'm just going to buy the entire kit. I'll make the roof & rear panel with the 1/4" sheets I have.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 03:56:10 PM »
I contacted a few places regarding door hardware. I asked if I could buy everything minus the actual aluminum. For what I was quoted, I'm just going to buy the entire kit. I'll make the roof & rear panel with the 1/4" sheets I have.
Have you looked on govplanet? I often see miscellaneous parts and pieces for these at our local lot as I have notifications set up to let me know when things are added there.

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 08:01:12 AM »
Have you looked on govplanet? I often see miscellaneous parts and pieces for these at our local lot as I have notifications set up to let me know when things are added there.

I haven't, but to be honest, I'm not sure how shipping works with that site which is why I haven't tried buying anything from them.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 05:05:30 PM »
Interested, Did you ever move forward on this HUMV project?

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 09:06:13 AM »
I ended up purchasing fiberglass doors from a Corvette shop in Georgia, guess he makes more money doing these than working on Vette's? I have all the aluminum to make the top/rear, just need the time. I love this thing so much, it's actually my dd. I'll hopefully repower it this year with another 6.5, but go with a 4spd.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2024, 11:05:40 AM »
Those look good. Full rear cover?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 11:17:30 AM »

My plan is to keep the bed & enclose the cab with a 1/4" aluminum curtain. I'll also install the biggest piece of glass I can fit.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2024, 11:26:49 AM »

My plan is to keep the bed & enclose the cab with a 1/4" aluminum curtain. I'll also install the biggest piece of glass I can fit.
I like the hard doors a lot too.
We have a M998 for sale on a local lot up here. They are asking $13K ish for it. Is a really low mileage unit but with the 6.2. The soft top is pretty good but the plastic windows have yellowed. I thought about it.

If you don't mind saying, about how much are the doors?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 11:27:57 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 01:59:22 PM »

I like the hard doors a lot too.
We have a M998 for sale on a local lot up here. They are asking $13K ish for it. Is a really low mileage unit but with the 6.2. The soft top is pretty good but the plastic windows have yellowed. I thought about it.

If you don't mind saying, about how much are the doors?

I think I paid just shy of $3K. They're not OEM, but better than the other options in that price range.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 10:14:56 PM by Nate »

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 02:18:43 PM »
Those are some good looking doors. How do they seal? I know the fiberglass doors on my HMMWV back in my Scout Plt days leaked like a sieve every time it rained. LOL. Had to get used to leaning inboard.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 08:23:05 AM »
Those are some good looking doors. How do they seal? I know the fiberglass doors on my HMMWV back in my Scout Plt days leaked like a sieve every time it rained. LOL. Had to get used to leaning inboard.

They currently leak like a sieve because of the soft top. When the hard top gets fabricated, I'll also install a rain channel & new jambs for a tight seal.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 02:42:14 PM »
 :likebutton:
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal