Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2016 Rubicon GJ  (Read 30874 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Rubicon GJ
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2018, 12:06:47 AM »
There is a button but in two wheel drive it does not completely turn off ever. There are mods to disable it though.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2018, 02:19:24 AM »
Short version is the older ones, pre-4wabs, had to go light on the rear brake pressure to prevent lockup...like 80/20...20% stopping in the rear. They controlled actual hydraulic pressure to attain the set percentage. Now they push the limit of the rears as much as possible, using the abs for electronic proportioning. Meaning, same amount of hydraulic pressure to all wheels, until skidding.  Notice that the newer cars don't nose dive as much as previous versions?
Funny thing is, they can't make the rears larger because then they would be prone to over braking, since they all have the same pressure applied.
Ok, maybe it wasn't the short version

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Ken. But why weren't you sleeping at 11:19PM instead of explaining why rear brakes wear faster.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2018, 02:00:27 PM »
That's the best time for me to put thoughts "on paper" ... when I'm completely beat down. Lol

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:18:20 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
I remember when this started to be more common on passenger cars back in the old les schwab days. usually RR would waste away the fastest, (hard cornering lefts are more common, making the outside rear wheel the one that gets the brake pressure to limit slippage). we'd see a lot of GM and mopars, Grand Ams and Intrepid and stratus cars with the same issues. 1/2 ton ram pickups were really bad and the customer wouldn't even notice until the ABS light came on and we'd find rivets cutting through the rotors. Shawn is right, to completely shut it off you'd need to mod it with a physical switch interrupting the signal.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
I had to install new headlights into the GJ

I chose the Axion LED total assembly units.

The install was a simple R&R plug and play affair
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
Well congrats, wish I would of known, I just built one a while back. I’m very familiar with the geometry and do’s and don’t.  Lmk if you have want recommendations or have questions

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2019, 05:56:40 PM »
Ken needs to elaborate?   Tec hasn’t changed? Physics still say the front brakes need the stopping weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s to elaborate? It’s kinda the same theory as using your foot brake on your dirt bike. It would appear the manufacturers are proportioning them heavier to the rear. My thinking though it’s more the computer and stability control doing this....
And

The rear pads are tiny as compared to the fronts, maybe half the surface area. Also the rear rotors are solid and skinny, about 1/2" thick whereas the front brakes are still ventilated discs with much larger calipers.

I think the rears are just designed not to be able to stop very much...???

Mopar bbk. Don’t look at anything else. It’s complete with  bigger master cyl, booster, rotors, calipers, pads.

I suggest ditching the factory pads for power stop believe it’s z series but I’ll have to look( it’s the ones for towing).   

This setup stoped and held off-road mine with 40”s with plenty of confidence.

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »
These days modifying your intake amounts to taking off the air filter and a couple air pipes...

It used to mean doing some real wrenching. Removing a cast iron or inefficient aluminum design and replacing with a new Edelbrock piece. Getting coolant spilled everywhere, scraping gaskets, torquing real bolts.

I recently noted that the wrists of these latest "pretty men" could be severely damaged (Slight pain the next morning) by torquing bolts over 25 ft lbs. I heard the severe soreness caused several of these FM (Feminine men) or girly men (GM) to miss the hole in their ears with the stud (Which they are not, actually more like drones in a bee hive) when putting in their earrings, causing a slight abrasion, or in severe cases an actual puncture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devastating, I know!

In one case there was a drop of blood seen which caused the unsuspecting and suffering GM to faint, falling on his man-bun and wrinkling that all up.

Guys these days...Just give me my dogs and bypass, please!

Don’t waste the money on a intake setup. It does nothing but makes noise on the Jeep. The factory box with a upgraded filter is all you need. If you want more power or mpg put a Sprintex supercharger on it. You won’t regret it.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
I don't really like the thing all that much,

But should she get done with it, and I get to wrenchin' on it, I imagine it would restart life with a proper lift, and a 6.2 LS motor thumpin' under the hood
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal