VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

2012 Polaris Ranger Crew 800 Turbo upgrade

(1/21) > >>

KensAuto:
I purchased this 'tool' to help me in my quest for meat, the deer and elk I hunt, and to create a bit of fun for the family of 4 girls and a wife. I realized in a short matter of time that it was severely underpowered for such a large sxs. After 2 years of dealing with this pig, I did some research and found out that Polaris had installed a restrictor in the air intake path, which I promptly removed.
That was the first upgrade, supposedly +10hp, but it wasn't enough for Ken (me).......

KensAuto:
...and this is the restricter.

KensAuto:
I'm going to back up a bit, to the beginning of this quest, actually the cause of this quest, for power.
I took a couple of my overweight buddies up north for a guy's weekend in this quiet little town in a remote valley, where you can ride around (without leo harassment), watch the rodeo, scout for game, etc. Well, the "Pig Ranger" almost burnt down....not really, but climbing hills with 3836lbs of passengers (3 guys total and I'm a buck seventy) the fuel in the tank started boiling every time we stopped and the rear seat melted in half from the heat.
So, the first thing I did was price the seat bottom....close to 5 bills!!! Uh, NO. I will fix it, because quite frankly, that's what a real man would do, right?
First, I removed the cushion, which required removing aprox. 67,000 staples.
Using a propane torch, I remolded the seat to make it flat again (no pics, but the seat had a 3" dip to it from my buddies rump forcing it down).
After that, I pie cut some 3/4" square tubing to lay in and follow the groove/channel that was molded in to the seat, then used 1/4" rivets to fasten.
The second pic shows the thin plate I cut to fit that side of the seat....it comes from some old shelving that was laying out back in the scrap pile.
After everything was riveted, some self-stick heat barrier was added, in the third pic.

KensAuto:
...and a pic of a completed seat, restapled of course.

KensAuto:
Next up was to remove the restrictor from the air intake duct, no pics, but pretty straight forward....oh what a difference!!!!
...but, how about upgrading the cooling system, because we all know, usually more power equals more heat.
..So, lets put an oil cooler in, increasing the capacity from 2 qts to about 3.5. I ran the lines to a remote filter housing, so #1 it would hold more oil with a larger filter, and #2 it will be easier to access.
The second pic shows the rock shield fabbed and installed (the filter is now in front of the left rear tire).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version