Hello Guest

Author Topic: Fire in a bag  (Read 2700 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fire in a bag
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
I took a cedar fence board and plained it into curly strips for tinder.  Took another 4 and split them into thin sticks.  Put 1/4 of the tinder into each vacuum bag and sealed them. Even if a board should break the seal, everything stays put and dry! :)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fire in a bag
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
That's one cool idea...prepackaged firestarter kit!

OK, not to hijack...like you always did to my build threads...what's that...turn-about is fair play???

Anyway, Duane has me on the hunt for a decent wood burning stove.

After looking some today, it's odd but the cheaper ones put out the most heat.

TSC (Tractor Supply Company) has one in the $269 price point that is pretty plain, but puts out 105,000 BTU's. That's probably sufficient to run everyone out of the basement, but well the rest of the house is a big block...Lots of cubic inches.
Never the less, I think I'll score one as an emer heater...then maybe get a little pot belly to heat the garage this winter while I continue to whittle away on SquareD...That is if the big E doesn't forever change my plans...

I hope everyone is praying over that one...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
YOU are going to BUY a stove?  Get two 30gal or larger steel drums and build a double barrel stove!  Max BTU's and you can Segway off this thread!  Had one in a suburban Chicago garage for winter race car building and it'd run you out if you over loaded or over damped it.

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
Have you thought about vacuum sealing some steel wool/dryer lint and adding a 9V battery in an old camera film canister? Press the steel wool onto both terminals on the battery, will light it. Dryer lint will catch easy as well.

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:25:33 PM »
I took a cedar fence board and plained it into curly strips for tinder.  Took another 4 and split them into thin sticks.  Put 1/4 of the tinder into each vacuum bag and sealed them. Even if a board should break the seal, everything stays put and dry! :)

What a great idea, I need to get the machine out anyway so I think a few fire starter bags are in order as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »
Have you thought about vacuum sealing some steel wool/dryer lint and adding a 9V battery in an old camera film canister? Press the steel wool onto both terminals on the battery, will light it. Dryer lint will catch easy as well.

Bobby's onto something...fire starting...

Another thing

If you know where an old dead pine tree is, take a hatchet and hack into the base
Smell the chunk you hacked out
Smells like turpentine, right?
Well that's because that's what it is
pine wood is saturated with it, in the stumps of trees.
While wondering aimlessly around the forests around Ft. Bragg. I'd use that stuff for the next fire
Carry in a plastic bag or it will irritate your skin...especially around your private junk...ya, don't ask the Warrant Officer how he knows that...

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »

Another thing

If you know where an old dead pine tree is, take a hatchet and hack into the base
While wondering aimlessly around the forests around Ft. Bragg. I'd use that stuff for the next fire
Carry in a plastic bag or it will irritate your skin...especially around your private junk...ya, don't ask the Warrant Officer how he knows that...

Fritos also work to start a fire, however, I'd just eat them. The grease/oil on them burns. A can of crisco with a wick (strips of t-shirt or sting) will burn for approximately 30 days. A crayon, if you strip the paper off, will burn for approximately 30 mins.

Now we MUST hear the story of the wandering Warrant officer...on the ground...at Ft.Bragg.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »

Another thing

Fritos also work to start a fire, however, I'd just eat them. The grease/oil on them burns. A can of crisco with a wick (strips of t-shirt or sting) will burn for approximately 30 days. A crayon, if you strip the paper off, will burn for approximately 30 mins.

Now we MUST hear the story of the wandering Warrant officer...on the ground...at Ft.Bragg.

Actually out at Mackall, camp little muddy...

You know what goes on there, right???

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »

I never had the pleasure. But I do know.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

I never had the pleasure. But I do know.

Well it was there, doin' that stuff...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »

Another thing

Always enjoyed lighting the ol Christmas tree on a bonfire - one winter collected all the leftovers off a nearby tree lot to use as snow fence of sorts on a farm I lived on.  Early that spring it started a fire outside and got a few hours of kicks tossing them on the fire, one or two at a time! ::)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 06:54:13 PM »
I'm digging the fire in a bag concept and will be making my own.  Very nicely done
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal