Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1998 Jeep XJ  (Read 56930 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
1998 Jeep XJ
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »
This is a pseudo-build/maintenance combo. I bought XJ last year in November, and I really haven't done much to her except maintenance. I had an idea of what I'd like to do, and I'm still working towards it, just remember it isn't going to be as crazy as CMax, and definitely nowhere near as in-depth as D2.

I'm limited in what I'm able to do as it is strictly VERBOTEN to work on vehicles in my apartment complex so a lot of the more "complicated" or multiple step jobs will be done by a guy I work with. He works on vehicles on the side, so if it has to be welded or I'm unable to perform a task, he gets the job.

My end result for XJ would be to have a 3" lift with 31" tires.. Why only 3" w/31s? Well, I don't know of many places in Wisconsin to go off-roading or wheeling or whatever you wish to call it, and I'm more into the "let's go explore this trail.." type thing, so XJ is going to lean slightly to the expedition side of things. I also don't have the money/time/experience necessary to upgrade the axles, re-gear, add lockers,exo skeletons, and the other fun things for anything hardcore, so that pretty much figures into it as well.

SPECS:
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I6 4.0
4sp auto AW-4
NP 231 transfer case
Axles: Dana 30, Chrysler 8.25
3.55 gear ratio
235/75/15 Duratracs
Worn out shocks, and sagging leaf springs.

So with out further ado:

Yea nice rust huh?

I LOVE the GoodYear DuraTracs:

Last winter with all the snow and ice we had, I had no trouble getting around, and I even drove through an unplowed lot where I work, with nice drifts and didn't use 4wd. I did, however, put it in 4Hi and 4Lo just to try them out and it was outstanding. So from here on out I'm always going to rock the Duratracs...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:34:57 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: 1998 Jeep XJ
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
Now before all of you start thinking I'm neglecting poor XJ, don't worry I'm not. I'm buying parts as my wallet allows, and if I happen to see them on Craiglist, the local pick n' pull, O'Reilly Auto or the intewebz. However with winter coming up the pick n pull will get harder and harder to get into and search around.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:35:13 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:48 PM »
And because I had Bear with me in the XJ earlier, I took some pics.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:35:43 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
Bobby, you look like an operator...
But
I think Bear is the prettier of you two!
Sorry dude...grunt/pilot thing...

OK Love it

First suggestion: Move down near me so I can get some sparks applied to that mess and get some real metal on it!

Let's make that mod #1
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
Bobby, you look like an operator...
But
I think Bear is the prettier of you two!
Sorry dude...grunt/pilot thing...

OK Love it

First suggestion: Move down near me so I can get some sparks applied to that mess and get some real metal on it!

Let's make that mod #1

I've been told that before, by multiple people, on different occasions.

As for Bear, yea he is an attention getter, he's pretty popular with, well anyone who sees him.

Well, assuming XJ survives another winter, and makes it to Mississippi for my cousins wedding next June, I'll more than likely stop by. As for moving down yonder, I gotta get through EMT, then hopefully Paramedic, Firefighter and Police Academy before I look into new jobs markets.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:54:53 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
...Or just move!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
...Or just move!

Good point, however, I need to have some skills to help in the job hunt that will invariably occur.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
Was thinking while I was typing earlier today...If I only had a decent revenue stream from this site, and the farm was in good enough shape, I'd offer you rent free livin' down there to watch over the place and work there a couple days a week.

But not there yet, and besides that farm isn't local to anything except trees, and more trees!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »
Was thinking while I was typing earlier today...If I only had a decent revenue stream from this site, and the farm was in good enough shape, I'd offer you rent free livin' down there to watch over the place and work there a couple days a week.

But not there yet, and besides that farm isn't local to anything except trees, and more trees!

That's my dream if I ever win the lottery, become an oil baron or just get lucky enough to own a bunch of land surrounded by trees somewhere out in the countryside.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
Bear has grown into one handsome boy!  Had a '94 like that, fun vehicle, but tippy when elevated much.  Great motor with plenty of power for its size and good mileage for a 6 cyl.  Looking forward to seeing it all transform!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
Bobby, I've had a couple come in with cracks by the steering gear box....is that the stiffeners on your list? if not, maybe look into something for the gear box. I just used plate I had, but I'm sure they make something specific for them.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »
I was working out this morning at the gym on the elicptical where your mind turns to mush is you don't engage it.
For some reason I was thinking about Bobby's build

Those rocker panels are terrible, and they are a part of that weak unit body.

That's when I had my idea.

Cut off the whole rocker panel front to back. Leave the outward face of the "Frame" piece. Get a section of 2 X 4 X .125" rectangle steel and weld it in there so that it protrudes past the door bottoms.

You just fixed the rust, added a real frame, built in rock rails, and added a step.

You could cover the top with no-slip and have a tall step, or cut it out to lower the step slightly, or forget about a stop altogether.

You could bevel the front and back to match wheel well contours.

Not that is a good idea!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
Bear has grown into one handsome boy!  Had a '94 like that, fun vehicle, but tippy when elevated much.  Great motor with plenty of power for its size and good mileage for a 6 cyl.  Looking forward to seeing it all transform!

Thanks, yea Bear has turned into an attention grabber. People think he's older than he is, until either Mom or I tell him he isn't even a year old yet. I'm definitely not going past 3" lift, just need something mild, without getting into tippy territory, seen too many of those around here. As for MPGs, best tank was 22 mpg, averages 18, but its a bit lower with the winter fuel.

Bobby, I've had a couple come in with cracks by the steering gear box....is that the stiffeners on your list? if not, maybe look into something for the gear box. I just used plate I had, but I'm sure they make something specific for them.

Unibody stiffner:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html

I'm planning on replacing the steering box and master cylinder with one from a Durango. I will also add in steering box braces, when I can find some online.

I was working out this morning at the gym on the elicptical where your mind turns to mush is you don't engage it.
For some reason I was thinking about Bobby's build

Cut off the whole rocker panel front to back. Leave the outward face of the "Frame" piece. Get a section of 2 X 4 X .125" rectangle steel and weld it in there so that it protrudes past the door bottoms.

You just fixed the rust, added a real frame, built in rock rails, and added a step.

You could cover the top with no-slip and have a tall step, or cut it out to lower the step slightly, or forget about a stop altogether.

Not that is a good idea!

I actually had thought about adding in rectangular tubing. Most people who've done it recommend 2x4 or 2x6. But I can never find any when I'm out in shopping mode. So when I saw the rockers, I jumped. However, I'm still looking for tubing. I did plan on covering the entire lower quarter of the doors, and under and around the rockers in Herculiner.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:36:52 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »
Bobby,
Those doors are gone...that's my bet. Saw the bubbles which is only a small part of the real story
Best plan is to find used doors in a junkyard that have no rust, then do the interior in a good undercoating and paint the outside with whatever.

But I'd pull the interior panel and take a look at what is going on inside.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
Bobby,
Those doors are gone...that's my bet. Saw the bubbles which is only a small part of the real story
Best plan is to find used doors in a junkyard that have no rust, then do the interior in a good undercoating and paint the outside with whatever.

But I'd pull the interior panel and take a look at what is going on inside.

That's part of the plan. I've checked the doors at the JY, but they are smashed/dented/or worse. All else fails, I might just pull my doors, strip the paint, fix them up, and have my sister and brother in law wrap XJ in matte black wrap.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
Just order the doors from a junkyard.
Specify no rust, get them from Texas, or similar no salt place
Should be easy.
No hassle and better than repaired

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Just order the doors from a junkyard.
Specify no rust, get them from Texas, or similar no salt place
Should be easy.
No hassle and better than repaired

Then the search begins.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
Which doors you need Bobby? I'll keep an eye peeled and ah-lookin down here just south of salts-ville

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
Which doors you need Bobby? I'll keep an eye peeled and ah-lookin down here just south of salts-ville

Only door that has rust is the rear passenger door. Everything else is fender/rockers. And the rust that's on the door, is a 1/2"x 1/2" roughly, so it can be trimmed out, bondo'd and bedlinered.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 02:38:17 AM »
Always liked those Jeeps. It I needed a smaller ride than the sub, it would go that way. But I do like real frames!!

The dog does have nicer hair for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »
I like that dog
Want one
Wife says no
Two possible outcomes
1. She says yes
2. She goes! :o

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
Always liked those Jeeps. It I needed a smaller ride than the sub, it would go that way. But I do like real frames!!

The dog does have nicer hair for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Wranglers are WAY overpriced or the owners are asking too much for them in this area. I actually saw XJ after it was posted on Craigslist for 15 mins, bought it the next day.

I should post up a pic of him when he was 5 months old when we got him. I named him Bear, since when I first saw him lumbering around a tree he looked like a Grizzly bear cub.

I like that dog
Want one
Wife says no
Two possible outcomes
1. She says yes
2. She goes! :o

I got Bear for $300. The guy said he would negotiate, but after seeing the crap conditions he and his 2 sisters' were in, I wasn't leaving him there. Mom said the same thing, but wanted to get the sisters as well, but that was out of the question.

You can probably find a puppy or young one for sale, or adoption. Oh SNAP, get her a wee German Shepherd puppy for Christmas!! No one can say "No" to those little eyes and ball of puppy fur, and little puppy feet. Unless you get a bear cub looking puppy..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
Heck you ought to see the prices here in Kali.

Been looking for a lab, wife says maybe a gold, I am leaning to the black or choc. I have to get a puppy so it can grow up with the cat. Think the wife will say its "her or the dog" must go. To bad it would be so expensive to loose her,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

Been looking for a lab, wife says maybe a gold, I am leaning to the black or choc. I have to get a puppy so it can grow up with the cat. Think the wife will say its "her or the dog" must go. To bad it would be so expensive to loose her,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I never really got into having a Lab as a pet. Always seemed to prefer GSDs as pets.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »

JR,
I'll give ya Shasha...the onerous red dog. You can have her. Mostly golden with some German shepherd (Mother) in her. Sometimes she can back down the sled dog!
Can one ship a dog across country?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »
JR,
I'll give ya Shasha...the onerous red dog. You can have her. Mostly golden with some German shepherd (Mother) in her. Sometimes she can back down the sled dog!
Can one ship a dog across country?

Actually, yes one can ship a dog across the country. Has to be in a cage, a copy of all shot records and etc need to be affixed to the cage, and etc. Sorta like bring a pet home from Germany.

Since, I mentioned Bear as a "puppy" I should post a pic of him in his Grizzly bear like state, well sorta, once I got him home, I pulled the twigs and etc out of his hair.

As an added bonus, I was out throwing his ball for him and saw his print in the dirt. People ask to see how big his foot is so, here you go. He planted, dug in and launched...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:37:51 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:04 AM »
Does that dog have fat front legs?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
Holy cow, does Bear ever have huge feet! How Big is he now Bobby?
I'm a Lab guy, but that is one fine looking shepherd!
Too bad they grow out of the 'cute puppy' stage.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
Does that dog have fat front legs?

Yes, he has/had tree trunks for legs. There's no sneakiness in this dog really. He lays against the couch he shakes it when he breathes, he doesn't gently lay down like most dogs, he just does a semi controlled crash, he sounds like a toddler stomping around on a hard wood floor when he walks.

Holy cow, does Bear ever have huge feet! How Big is he now Bobby?
I'm a Lab guy, but that is one fine looking shepherd!
Too bad they grow out of the 'cute puppy' stage.

Yea, he has big feet. I'll try to get some updates pics of him standing next to mom. I really don't know how big he is, next time he's at the vet I'll find out. I'm gonna guess around 100 lbs. Well, he's still a puppy... turns 1 yr old on the 28th. Everyone who sees him when mom takes him to the pet store, out on walks, or to the dog park ends up gushing over him.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:16:06 AM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
Well, yesterday I got the tie rod ends, brakes, steering damper, and the driver side hub replaced. Now if I can track down the mysterious vib/rubbing I'd be happier.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
Sorry for the pointless story, but all the comments about dogs made me laugh.  We've had really good luck with GSD's.  I know some of them can be kind of neurotic, my father in law used to train them and use them for K9 unit and once in a while he would get a really weird one that wasn't any good on duty.  But most trained quite well.  I have personally adopted two of them and they have both been fantastic.  Both listen to me and obey commands better than my golden retriever that we got as a puppy.  The first adopted GSD was a 130 lb male.  We adopted him around 5 years old.  The second we adopted at 3 years old and he was 100 lbs, but fairly tall, long and lean.  This second one grew up in a Chicago downtown condominium and was walked to nearby dog parks.  He reacted to meeting people and worked on a leash super well.  But when I got home and let him off leash it got really funny.  He still listened to my commands perfectly, but when I would throw the tennis ball, my 7 year old golden retriever was WAY faster than him.  Something is not right here I said to myself.  The new dog is 6 inches taller, 15 inches longer and way more muscular, why is he so slow?  So I tested him jumping into my truck - fail, he came up way short.  I found myself with a dog that apparently had never been free to be, well, a dog.  The first time he was walking in the woods and came upon a 12 in diameter fallen tree he stopped as though it was a 6 foot fence.  I had to basically drag him over the darn log.  He couldn't jump over it.  Never thought I would need to teach a dog how to run and jump.  But fast forward 2 months later, he has adapted very well.  He can now leap over 4 foot tall fences with ease and he is so ridiculously fast, I would never want to be the one running away from him.  It is still funny thou because there are times, like jumping over a 5 foot wide creek that he still waits and watches to make sure the smaller golden retriever successfully makes the jump first.  Perhaps he is just too smart to be the first one to get stuck in the mud.  They are an interesting breed.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
Sorry for the pointless story, but all the comments about dogs made me laugh.  We've had really good luck with GSD's.  I know some of them can be kind of neurotic, my father in law used to train them and use them for K9 unit and once in a while he would get a really weird one that wasn't any good on duty.  But most trained quite well.  I have personally adopted two of them and they have both been fantastic.  Both listen to me and obey commands better than my golden retriever that we got as a puppy.  The first adopted GSD was a 130 lb male.  We adopted him around 5 years old.  The second we adopted at 3 years old and he was 100 lbs, but fairly tall, long and lean.  This second one grew up in a Chicago downtown condominium and was walked to nearby dog parks.  He reacted to meeting people and worked on a leash super well.  But when I got home and let him off leash it got really funny.  He still listened to my commands perfectly, but when I would throw the tennis ball, my 7 year old golden retriever was WAY faster than him.  Something is not right here I said to myself.  The new dog is 6 inches taller, 15 inches longer and way more muscular, why is he so slow?  So I tested him jumping into my truck - fail, he came up way short.  I found myself with a dog that apparently had never been free to be, well, a dog.  The first time he was walking in the woods and came upon a 12 in diameter fallen tree he stopped as though it was a 6 foot fence.  I had to basically drag him over the darn log.  He couldn't jump over it.  Never thought I would need to teach a dog how to run and jump.  But fast forward 2 months later, he has adapted very well.  He can now leap over 4 foot tall fences with ease and he is so ridiculously fast, I would never want to be the one running away from him.  It is still funny thou because there are times, like jumping over a 5 foot wide creek that he still waits and watches to make sure the smaller golden retriever successfully makes the jump first.  Perhaps he is just too smart to be the first one to get stuck in the mud.  They are an interesting breed.

When I got Bear, him and the other puppies were housed in an outside garage, the place was a dump. When I went to look at the puppies to see if I wanted to buy one, I didn't see an food/water bowls. The puppies were wandering loose, no toys, just an old car seat they would rip up and lay on to get off the snow. The guy said they puppies would wander around and off the property. I was not happy.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
What does the panel think of this? Other suggestions? I'd rather not spend beaucoup money.

Rancho 2.5"

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76031_700X_PG.htm

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »
Ought to work

I'll bet you get into some work knocking those factory springs down judging from the rust everywhere else. Be sure you have new center pin bolts, the old ones will not be reusable.

2.5" seem reasonable

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
Ought to work

I'll bet you get into some work knocking those factory springs down judging from the rust everywhere else. Be sure you have new center pin bolts, the old ones will not be reusable.

2.5" seem reasonable

I'm really not looking forward to ANY of the bolts under XJ.. It's either going 2.5 or 3". Depends on what I find/can afford/doesn't look cheap.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »

Not that is a good idea!

I realize I'm about a month behind but...

I'm pretty sure that the Cherokee has a full frame, the Grand Cherokee has a uni-body…

My bro-in-law removed his rockers on his rock-climbing Blazer altogether for clearance, you can do that with a full-frame vehicle.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
Nope, I'm working with the Unibody.. It is what it is. I don't really have BIG plans for XJ, so it's nothing that impacts too hard on them.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
Cut em out...square steel tubing!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
Cut em out...square steel tubing!

I'm still looking for square tubing. Also, I have to work around the schedule of work, the guy who's going to do the welding's schedule, and the impending new schedule I'm more than likely going to get.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »
So last Thursday XJ got a new alternator. And this morning the tires were rotated,balanced and aligned.

On that topic, since when does it take 2 HOURS!! to do a rotate,balance and align... Not once have I ever had it go that long.

Now, I have to track down this vibration.. More to come on that.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
bad vibes???

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
bad vibes???

Not too bad, just more of a "feel in the shifter/pedals/seat" and can hear it if you pay attention. Its not a "shake your fillings out", type thing. That makes it more annoying to me.

At first, I thought maybe the tires needed balancing, but nope. I'll find it, just going to take time.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
Check your u-joints, wheel bearings and the output shaft from the transfer case.  Is the vibration continuous at all speeds? 

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
I'm sure the guys who aligned it would have noticed if the wheel bearings were questionable...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »
That thing has a CV joint (Junk) Known weak point. Check that as well
Makes more of a clicking sound when defective

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
Check your u-joints, wheel bearings and the output shaft from the transfer case.  Is the vibration continuous at all speeds?

That's on the agenda for next weekend. It is continuous, but like I said its not a harsh shake. Like a cylindrical grind that hits only on one spot of a rotating mass.

I'm sure the guys who aligned it would have noticed if the wheel bearings were questionable...

They didn't say anything, but then again, I left my Jeep at the dealership and had to walk 1.7 miles to work. The guy who dropped it off didn't know anything.

I was looking into replacing all the CVs/U joints. Just to have piece of mind. Possibly after I replace the rocker panels.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »

...Like a cylindrical grind that hits only on one spot of a rotating mass.

That sounds like a warped brake rotor.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »

That's on the agenda for next weekend. It is continuous, but like I said its not a harsh shake. Like a cylindrical grind that hits only on one spot of a rotating mass.

They didn't say anything, but then again, I left my Jeep at the dealership and had to walk 1.7 miles to work. The guy who dropped it off didn't know anything.

I was looking into replacing all the CVs/U joints. Just to have piece of mind. Possibly after I replace the rocker panels.

You can do the U-joints yourself. CV's not so sure...most times one just purchases a new shaft

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »

Replaced the front pads and the rotors didn't seem warped. I'm going to check them again, and probably check the wheel bearings. Just checking everything at this time I suppose.

You can do the U-joints yourself. CV's not so sure...most times one just purchases a new shaft

Yep, just have to rebuild the funds before I start buying new U-joints.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »

Replaced the front pads and the rotors didn't seem warped. I'm going to check them again, and probably check the wheel bearings. Just checking everything at this time I suppose.

Its hard to eyeball a rotor and know if its warped or not.  Maybe impossible. 

I know a lot of guys skip having the rotors turned / resurfaced when replacing pads but it is something you really want to do, especially if a warped rotor is suspect.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal