Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide site, retirement site.  (Read 206872 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #500 on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »
In our soil here it is about four five years before anything treated or not rots out if buried in the soil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:24 PM »
 Or you could use metal poles buried in the ground anchored with concrete. Then you could build your wood post look around them 
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 19, 2018, 11:43:00 PM »
OK, so something has to be in the ground.  I kind of like the idea of steel wrapped in treated wood to form a column.  I get some steel from the supply place which is 3/16 wall and 2 1/2 diameter pipe.  Would work well for this.  Just need to auger some holes and drop some concrete.  Other choice is to fence black the bottom of some treated 4x6 and bury in soil then pour concrete slab.  Best estimate is that it would take 10 years to rot, then I could redo the posts. 

Attaching to the other structures is not an option I think.  this ODK will sit at an 45 degree angle between two structures and the roof line is already complex
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:01 AM »
Jared mentioned a square steel post in ground, with a heavy bracket on top to bolt the wood posts to. What about using a thick walled box, say 16" tall, anchored on, or in, the slab, with extra footings under those areas? Basically just a h/duty taller version of store bought versions? Or if you were lucky enough to find some square tubing with the inside diameter close to the dimensions of the timber?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 20, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »
Jared mentioned a square steel post in ground, with a heavy bracket on top to bolt the wood posts to. What about using a thick walled box, say 16" tall, anchored on, or in, the slab, with extra footings under those areas? Basically just a h/duty taller version of store bought versions? Or if you were lucky enough to find some square tubing with the inside diameter close to the dimensions of the timber?

Ken has a legit idea here, wait did I just say that? :huh:

You could dig or auger footers where the columes go, toss in some rebar on the heavy side. Then use square tube or even drops of I-beam. Note: if you can find a structural fab shop they will have all sorts of i-beam drops in the 4’-6’ range, check out scrap yards too. Weld a flange to the base or end of tube / I-beam and anchor into concrete. Build posts on or around them. Essentially the base is anchored well and then the upper & exterior is a fabricated wood post. Easy to replace when they rot out ten years down the road versus trying to dig up a wood post that was set in concrete.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:52:57 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 20, 2018, 03:28:40 AM »
I did that (galv post) on the corner of the fence where I have my TH. Sank it about 4' down, then built a square column around it. Solid as a rock about 200# of cement int there.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 20, 2018, 08:27:38 AM »
Rather than bury a steel column why can I not bolt a steel flanged post to the slab??

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 20, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
Having dug/extracted several rotten posts/concrete from my fence the last few summers, I HIGHLY recommend using some form of metal solution!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 20, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
Rather than bury a steel column why can I not bolt a steel flanged post to the slab??

My uneducated guess would be that the stress/force is better spread across more of the beam and concrete instead of a small section of studs/bolts susceptible to flexing in high winds.  Think weak spot like your wrist versus your forearm.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 20, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »

That’s what I was trying to convey

Ken has a legit idea here, wait did I just say that? :huh:

You could dig or auger footers where the columes go, toss in some rebar on the heavy side. Then use square tube or even drops of I-beam. Note: if you can find a structural fab shop they will have all sorts of i-beam drops in the 4’-6’ range, check out scrap yards too. Weld a flange to the base or end of tube / I-beam and anchor into concrete. Build posts on or around them. Essentially the base is anchored well and then the upper & exterior is a fabricated wood post. Easy to replace when they rot out ten years down the road versus trying to dig up a wood post that was set in concrete.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:41:24 AM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »
So with a minimal structure up top and 6 posts for a 12x22 structure, a beam all around the perimeter of the slab, I should be ok with an 8x8 flange bolted down and then make a cap out of treated for the flange and some 1X material around the square post.

Sorry Shawn, I missed that, but great minds think alike.

That will keep me from being detoured and rushed to sink some posts before the pool crew gets the hole in the ground and ready for the concrete deck crew.

I just need to make sure the beam they put in the slab is directly under the post locations.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 20, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
like this

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 20, 2018, 10:02:40 AM »
Correct, move the holes out to the corners though....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 20, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
exactly.  Probably used epoxy like I did connecting the beams to the concrete pillars on the casita.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 20, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »
That would save lots of work and the bigger the footprint the better.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 21, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
So got some more done on the hardie.  Rest of the corners assembled and installed.  Ripped hardie for the kick out on the first course on the remaining two sides and got the first course started.

Then sawed all the trim for the remaining windows and started trimming the windows.  Got the first floor 3x3 kitchen window and the dormer window done.  While I was on the dormer started working on the corner trim for the dormer and the final flashing/trim pieces for the metal roof where the roof intersects with the dormer.  Trim work is tedious and slow, so when the trim is all done the planks will go quickly.

Today will focus on the remaining roof flashing/trim on the dormer and more trim work and then some planks under the porch and on the front of the house.

Need to order the shake shingle hardie for the dormer but I will do that last since it involves getting back up on the 12/12 roof

Progress pics to come.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #516 on: January 21, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Today, it seemed that I was making lots of mistakes.  ruined a few pieces of hardie but then got in a rythem.  Finished a few pieces of trim and then started on the gable end over the front porch.

Still have to finish the dormer and trim one last window on the back gable and then there's just planking the kitchen side and rear.

I had to stop on the underside of the porch until I get the soffit and hardi panel on the ceiling.  Those hardie panels are about 73 pounds so I need to figure out a way to hoist them up and hold them so I can nail them to the ceiling of porch.

So far so good.  Here is where I left it today

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:25:53 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 21, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
Awfully nice looking guesthouse there Charles!

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
Here are some tricks on the ceiling hardi. Use H vinyl. Before sliding the piece into the h vinyl take a grinder to the hardi and make sure it will fit in the h vinyl. Usually the ends are mushroomed from the factory and they will not go in, just buzz around the perimeter and clean it up. Grind as fast as you can walk around it is all it takes. A heat gun helps massage the plastics if needed. That ceiling hardi is horrible to do with less than two guys. It is very flexible and breaks easily and is expensive. A 2x4 cut to ceiling height with a flat 3-4’ piece on the top can be used as a prop. It is almost impossible to do alone and have it look good. Without H vinyl the joints look wavy and the nails have a tendency to blow the edges out. Start with a chalk line for reference and mark it 4’1/2” from the beam or wall where you will be starting. If the first row is stair stepped the rest is more difficult.
Wish i was closer to your end of Texas. I would lend a hand.
Here is one i just did. Zoom in and you can see the h vinyl and how i staggered the joints.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:40:16 PM by Jared Herzog »

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 21, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
Before starting mark every ceiling joist around the perimeter. These are hard to find when fighting the sheet. Then install your first piece. Nail 12” in from the edge and only nail the perimeter at the 8”-12” in from the edge making sure each nail is good. Do not nail the field. If it is deep it will pull through so add another fastener and adjust the guns depth driver. If it is shallow set it. Then before the next piece goes in install the h vinyl. Nailing 12” away from the edge will allow this piece to slide in. The h vinyl gets cut to about 4’ and a notch is made in the part that is tucked up in the material. This will allow the perpendicular row to fit without hitting the 4’ butt joint piece. Just keep going like this using the previous piece of h vinyl to help hold the next sheet. When you are done use a chalk line preferably white chalk or a non oil chalk and mark every joist row. This makes every fastener hit lumber and not blow a hole through the material. From here finish nailing the fields and also nail the edges.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:06:59 PM by Jared Herzog »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 21, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
What do you mean H?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 21, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
Heat transfer according to google. 

Why are we trying to transfer heat on the porch? Should we not be blocking or deflecting ?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 21, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
Jared. Thanks.  H is the profile of the trim. It provides a support from one panel to the next. Hadn’t thought of that Jared.   I may call in some help.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
Yes, it is the profile. There are two different sizes. As far as i know it is the smaller of the two. The larger looks bad when installed as it hangs down. Just trim it with a razor knife and cut it with a circular saw. Do not cut it real cold this time of the year as it will crack. Warm it up if needed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:57 PM »
Good thing is that at just under 8 ft Deep I only have the 3 seams as the 4 panels meet

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 24, 2018, 01:31:38 AM »
Dave, I think framers and mechanics have similar brains. :embarrassed

Still waiting for big brother to come and delete it.   I noticed a bit ago a curse word gets deleted pretty fast

:popcorn:
There’s actually a word swap function that we use.... that’s why it seems weird when somebody says bullshoot lol

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 24, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
Dave, I think framers and mechanics have similar brains. :embarrassed

Still waiting for big brother to come and delete it.   I noticed a bit ago a curse word gets deleted pretty fast

:popcorn:
There’s actually a word swap function that we use.... that’s why it seems weird when somebody says bullshoot lol

Kyle,

Feel free to change that all up if you want.

I created out "Bad-word List" and made the automatic substitutions. Wasn't giving it all that much thought, and frankly the feature was really only for Shawn ;-)) and one or two others, so do with it as you may
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 24, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »

I created out "Bad-word List" and made the automatic substitutions. Wasn't giving it all that much thought, and frankly the feature was really only for Shawn ;-)) and one or two others, so do with it as you may

Want me to REALLY test out that word swap feature?! It might decide to go AWOL...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
crap

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
Sh$t is now crap.   I think if we could adjust this to my texting on my phone it could be a good thing. 

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2018, 12:57:25 PM »
Sh$t is now crap.   I think if we could adjust this to my texting on my phone it could be a good thing. 

That's funny...and pretty dang accurate some days I'd suggest too... :beercheers:
And would likely be a pretty good idea.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »
Not much car replace a well placed four letter word sometimes

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2018, 05:19:38 PM »
So true, but some just might be a bit over the wall.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:14 PM »
They’re not cuss words, they’re sentence enhancers ;)

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 26, 2018, 12:23:48 AM »
Like racing strips on Honda’s? Just makes things sound better right?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »

Elsewhere, true!

Here: The reason you can no longer access the site ;-)))

Hashtag: Banned
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »

Elsewhere, true!

Well I certainly hope not! Enjoy all you knuckleheads too much! :D

Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 26, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »

Elsewhere, true!

Well I certainly hope not! Enjoy all you knuckleheads too much! :D

Send me a pm and I’ll share my log in and we can have double trouble

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:42 PM »

Send me a pm and I’ll share my log in and we can have double trouble

LOL... I don’t think that would work so well.

Ryan

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 27, 2018, 07:41:54 AM »

So I've noticed something peculiar concerning Chief recently.

1. Acknowledged that he knows and listens(ed) to Beyonce songs.
2. Now wears an Apple smart watch, as opposed to a more sensible durable watch
3. Now uses the term "hashtag"
4. Trying to color-coordinate things down at the farm in colors other than OD green...

Something must be wrong.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:42:38 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 27, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »

4. Trying to color-coordinate things down at the farm in colors other than OD green...

What’s your prognosis doc? :popcorn:

I just assumed it was pilut stuff, maybe Duane could give us his input too?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:11:48 AM by stlaser »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 27, 2018, 08:11:06 AM »

My theory is that this is the longest period of his life where he has been in the same place for multiple years in a row without the rigorous standards of the military over his head. He’s becoming re-domesticated. There’s also a few serious blows to the knoggin - most recently over the Dodge Demon incident that could have triggered a serious personality shift frequently associated with head trauma.

Serious
Oblivion to
Former self
Trauma

:laugh:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:12:12 AM by cudakidd53 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 27, 2018, 09:20:44 AM »
Boss wearing Apple watches and Nate driving Vdubs.... I wish there was something I could do. #Quitesadreally

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
Has anyone looked this up in webMD?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »
Boss wearing Apple watches and Nate driving Vdubs.... I wish there was something I could do. #Quitesadreally

Hey now, i still have the duramax!

Dont be hattin on the Fahrvergnügen now, cause i am sure you would be glad to have one as well......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »
Ok for the urgent purpose I used my best resources, I had the two year old tell me where they hurt as a relation to where don hurts
Eyes for the color coordination, wrist must be in pain from that watch and of course back pain from sitting in the chair in the basement while the boys do all the work and he writes poems about skid steer tractors

My findings

Max and my guess is methanol poison
With all the painting he has been doing? The water leak from the Chevy and who knows what could have been given the boss when he was knocked out from that hellcat demon comment. 

Heaven only knows where the Apple watch thing came from.  Could it be some type of tracking system from cnn for all of dons politically charged coffee rants? Maybe someone from “the other place” is trying to find out if #Square_D is finished?
How does the boss magically run over everything? Is this a trend.   

Should I look up or add to the WebMD list forgetful?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:11:55 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 27, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
It could be this also

We could have a serious problem here men. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 27, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
Alright, DOT army, back at the casita this weekend. It’s rainy today so I’m working some electrical inside and on the porch. Got two gooseneck farm lights. One to go over the door and one over the window on the second floor. They’ll have those low watt Edison bulbs where you can see the elements.  Then the porch has two small can lights and some outlets in the ceiling.  Instead of ceiling fans I plan to get some wall mount oscillating fans that put out much more than ceiling fans.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 27, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
Those fans will make a good mosquito repellant, as well as helping  keep you comfortable after a hard day.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 27, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »
Do your lights have a light sensor on them? So they turn off and on automatically when the sun is out

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal