PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Observations about our "homes"

<< < (4/4)

Wilbur:
Geez all you guys and your modern houses....my parents is 250 years old.  ;) Punkin pine floors, all hand hewn beams, big center chimney with an original beehive oven built in. Of course the rock foundation let's in everything from water to rodents. I love old houses....looking at them that is. The one I grew up in was 200 years old and I can do without the maintenance. But there's no denying the craftsmanship. They last because they were built well. Today's newer stuff will all be gone or have to be rebuilt in 50 years or so I would bet.

My aunts house in northern Maine was a Sears house.....absolutely beautiful farmhouse....brought on boats up the river. Some really great stuff from back then.

EL TATE:
There are a few of those Sears catalog houses out by me in the older farming communities. The trains would bring up the kit and then the farmers hauled them off to their respective sites for building. Funny thing is, they're the only ones built up high enough to never see water when the Stilly floods, but all the new construction built on old farm fields...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version