PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Observations about our "homes"

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nate:
;D

Sammconn:

--- Quote from: Dawg25385 on August 13, 2015, 12:28:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: OldKooT on August 13, 2015, 12:08:51 PM ---... it's impressive to see how they did things back in the day. And add to the fact most are well over 100 yrs old and still standing/functional.

--- End quote ---

Isn't that the truth! Another great example that modern versus antique furniture... Man oh man, the stuff they did back then... Solid wood, wood you can't even really find nowadays, and if you can, you will pay dearly. The dovetails, mortise and tenon, dowel joints... just incredible. I don't have the patience for it, but certainly admire those that do! Lucky to find anything solid wood now. Usually just veneered plywood...

--- End quote ---
Ahh yes.
I never considered myself a 'finish' carpenter, just a framer.
A friend of mine got me into a woodshop and got me going.
I can do it now, but my CDO is the killer, if it aint perfect, I'm not happy.
Another thread for me to post up. Have all the finished products, but no pics along the way.

And I have tried to stay all solid wood save for a few of the projects along the way.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: OldKooT on August 13, 2015, 12:08:51 PM ---Don, when you build that fireplace take loads of pictures. I helped my grandfather build one when I was a kid...that was a project. We hauled all the stone from Iowa since Neb has almost no field stones.

--- End quote ---
Roger that Norm

I am told many years, decades actually, the previous family which owned that farm from the early 1800's up till I bought it, hired a bunch of Mexicans one summer. They set up tents and sorted food and water in there every couple days. They worked all summer clearing the fields of stones...flat stones. I have piles and piles of them. I figure I'll use the mossy ones for landscaping down there and up here as well. The others will go into the fireplace, foundation, steps, retaining wall, and on one side of the pond I want to come out of the water with a stacked stone wall to give fish and snakes a place to hide!

OldKooT:
My ambition level is low this year. My wife has many times hinted I should collect some stones for a field stone fireplace on her planned addition. I am struggling to find ambition to fix some old shed doors that are falling off the tracks LoL

You all are great motivators... to a point. Winters coming, so I have procrastinated long enough and have a "Self-do" list that's growing daily.

Atkinsmatt:
My house started life as a building on Ft Stewart.  It was one of the white lap board buildings with 2 rooms on either side of the hallway.  The person that bought it was a turpentine collector and farmer.  He set it up and over time added 2 bathrooms, fireplace and 2 additions and bricked it.  Later added a garage.  When they built these things on base right before and during WW2, they used the trees that they cut and milled right at the building site.  All of the wood is heart pine.  The roof deck is all plank.  The person that moved it used the same materials and methods for the additions.  I have updated with Pella windows, metal roof, and added insulation wherever I could.  It is pretty well insulated and we don't have a doorbell except for the dogs.  Can't hear things going on outside. There are 3 wells.  The first well on the place is still there and it has a hand pump.  It is 10 feet from where the back door was before additions.  Great part of the hurricane, SHTF kit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version