VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Bilstein 5100's or Fox Peformance Series?

(1/2) > >>

Tedram:
Good morning guys!
Looking for advice from this crusty crew of knowledgeable non vendors. I'm running a 08 GMC Duramax CCLB 4x4 Dually. She has 90k on her and I'm wanting to replace shocks. She sits stock height with pizza cutter 235/80 17s. I pull a 13k fifth wheel about half the time the truck is on the road. I also have a set of bags under her. I am hearing different things depending on who I ask, some say the Bilstein's will be the best shock for my situation and others are pointing me towards the Fox's Performance Series. The Fox shocks will run me about $125 more then the Bilstein's. But you can rebuild the Fox's. I always thought of the Fox shocks for more of an off road application and would make the 90 % of the time I am on pavement an uncomfortable ride.
Anyone have experience with the Fox's for a mostly pavement toy puller?
I followed you guys here from one of the other forums to see the rest of the Square D build (she is running!).
Below is a list of my MODs to the truck, all of which I installed myself with the help of Don write up on his Duaramax. Thanks!
I'm still a little hesitant to install the blocker plate, but will get to it someday.
Thanks in advance for advice on the shocks.....

EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install..

Dawg25385:
Hey man! I remember from way back on the other site.... you STILL have your blocker plate in the glove box?!  ;D ;D ;D

Can't help on shocks unfortunately, but i will benefit from this thread as i had the same questions about shocks... so Thanks!

EL TATE:
From my perspective, I'm bone stock with no plans to do anything but stay that way. I daily drive it and tow twice a month in the summer. Just ordered up AC Delco HD's yesterday, so I'll update w/ 1st hand info once they're installed. That said, having sold performance shocks for years before doing gear work, a good quality monotube gas shock like the bilsteins are very popular and seem to last longer than OE, but the ride quality is a little stiffer IMEO.

Tedram:
Thanks Tate! Let us know what you think of the HD OEM's, I was hoping someone had some feed back on the Fox shocks.....

KensAuto:
I'm running Fox on the cognito lift, and although they are great most of the time, on pavement. Big bumps or rough offroading shows that they are way to light for a diesel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version