PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Home made cistern

<< < (4/4)

OldKooT:
Interesting concepts. I wonder if the galvanizing used on a culvert would be a cause for concern? Not an issue unless used for drinking water I suppose. I think the absolute cheapest solution is a plastic or cement septic tank. Used they are usually free LoL

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: OldKooT on May 03, 2016, 08:05:19 AM ---Interesting concepts. I wonder if the galvanizing used on a culvert would be a cause for concern? Not an issue unless used for drinking water I suppose. I think the absolute cheapest solution is a plastic or cement septic tank. Used they are usually free LoL

--- End quote ---
You sound like Duane

He thinks I should just purchase a big plastic or fiberglass tank, dig a hole and plop it down in there...Maybe he's right.

He points out that by the time I get a concrete truck back in there and likely a pump as well, and pay for all the gravel and associated stuff, I might be further ahead just buying a pre-made tank.

I like the prospect of building my own tank, but thinking about it, time is not on my side. I mean, I need to finish the second floor, wire the place, insulate it, throw something on the wall of the shed and drag that wood stove inside. ANd that's just the shed

I want to build that tower to allow for communications, solar panels and a decent sized wind mill. On that note, What I am reading says the bottom of the blades need to be 30 feet above the highest obstacle within 300 feet!

That means that tower will need to be almost 60 feet high to mount a mill capable of 1.5-2.0 KW (15-20 foot rotor diameter) So the tower alone is going to be a little bit of work, and if I skimp there, then the windmill will not be very effective.

Maybe a big 2,500-3,000 gal water tank is the right answer.

Bob Smith:
They do make aluminum culverts....

JR:
Look at all the long term issues with Galv pipe right now in homes. I like the plastic or alum idea. Dig a hole and bury it.

I think a couple of 500 wind mills would be better. I mean you will have solar during the day, even when cloudy they do work some.

2 mills would be cheaper, easier to mount without the huge structure, even on the side of a building or poll. They are however the least eff of all free power sources.

I would do a few K in solar, 1 k in wind and figure a small water wheel in there too. The water wheel can run a 1-200 watt alternator easy or just get a generator for it.

Then 1-2 forklift batteries. With care they last 15-20 years.

KensAuto:

--- Quote from: Bob/OlallaWa on May 03, 2016, 01:59:33 PM ---They do make aluminum culverts....

--- End quote ---

...and thick plastic ones as well. The good part about having the water above ground, is that you have gravity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version