Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Radio/Comms

GMRS: Who is using them?

(1/6) > >>

Flyin6:
The GMRS radios are out there everywhere and have lots of frequencies available

How well are they working for you? Mine seems to have a pretty limited range.

Is there a way to scramble the frequencies for secure comms, or frequency hop? Anything commercial available?

I can tell you it is pretty easy for some folks to get on freq pretty quick and listen away without you knowing. If I'm giving my wife my birthday wishes, I'd prefer to keep it private!

Thoughts...Experiences???

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on October 03, 2014, 08:08:20 AM ---The GMRS radios are out there everywhere and have lots of frequencies available

How well are they working for you? Mine seems to have a pretty limited range.

Is there a way to scramble the frequencies for secure comms, or frequency hop? Anything commercial available?

I can tell you it is pretty easy for some folks to get on freq pretty quick and listen away without you knowing. If I'm giving my wife my birthday wishes, I'd prefer to keep it private!

Thoughts...Experiences???

--- End quote ---

Only thing I have are the walkies you can get at Fleet Farm/Cabelas/Gander Mountain or etc. I don't think there's any commercial FH/secure options for civilians.

When dad and I were hunting, we used the radios and yes people would hit scan and see whats up and etc. To fix that dad and I just used the squelch code and talked in code. That's easy when both parties were military/LE or have an established code.

TexasRedNeck:
Not familiar so I went to the FCC site and licensing is currently required for GMRS but no testing.  They are low powered but higher than the FRS (walkie talkie).  There is a proposal yet to be ruled on that would eliminate the license requirement (doubt they will remove it since that is a revenue stream)  If you apply for a license, the rest of your immediate family members can operate under your license.  Think of it as a higher powered more well constructed walkie talkie.  Range is likely to be about 1-5 miles depending on antenna height.  Hand held is likely 1-2 miles.

Flyin6:
Probably something we need to keep tabs on...as all available means of communication should be available and exploited

W4WN:
Speaking of encryption, it makes me feel really old to see some of the early '80's equipment I used to service on ebay for pennies on our tax dollars. The same hardware the Full Bird Colonel kept the manuals for in his safe. Made me turn my back when he dialed the combo, sign a hand receipt, and everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version