FOOD CORNER > Wild Game

Cool story about Dardevl lures....

(1/1)

Wilbur:
I wasn't sure where to put this but hopefully this makes sense. If you've ever used a Daredevl lure you might find how they got their name interesting...

The Eppinger Tradition began in 1906. Lou Eppinger spent a month in the Ontario wilderness, fishing, camping and thinking….all alone. He used a lure of his own design…a spoon weighing 2 ounces. The metal was hammered out so that it was thinner in the middle and thicker toward the edges.

When he cast it into the shallows it would swing from side to side, nearly turning over, but always righting itself…kind of like a Dardevle.

By 1912, Lou turned his prototype into a finished lure, the Osprey. It caught fish; lots and lots of them. Especially pike, a favorite sport fish in the Midwest.

In 1918, Lou’s nephew Ed came to work in his uncle’s shop. They changed the name of the Osprey to Dardevle after the “Teufelhunden,” or “Devil Dogs,” the name given by the Germans to the 4th Marine Brigade- which successfully penetrated and captured the Germans in battle of Belleau Woods in 1918. The Allies called these US Marines “Dare Devils,” the name now used for Eppinger’s most successful line of lures.       

More on their website here:

http://www.eppinger.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?fs=1&mp=1&init=1

Nate:
now that is cool. 

I have many memories of catching fish with the red and white daredevil spoon. 

cudakidd53:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on April 03, 2017, 03:45:13 PM ---now that is cool. 

--- End quote ---

And they always seem to work, on multiple species!

Sammconn:

--- Quote from: cudakidd53 on November 17, 2017, 09:46:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on April 03, 2017, 03:45:13 PM ---now that is cool. 

--- End quote ---

And they always seem to work, on multiple species!

--- End quote ---
Sure do.
I have some up in the 6-8" range for the monster pike.

Flyin6:
Anybody here not own a daredevil lure at one time? When?

Bought mine in the 1960's. Caught bass, bluegill, and probably some other stuff on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version