FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

real/fresh/non store garbage locker beef

<< < (2/5) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
Nate, sorry. Didn't mean to be cryptic

I was wondering if you saved money by buying the cow, or if it was the same or more expensive but of higher quality.

KensAuto:
I was doing that with neighbors (we raised the cows and split all costs) but got lazy. Last couple times I bought a side from a different friend...he raised it..paid him half market rate, then paid the butcher myself... Wasn't much cheaper but I know how it was raised/fed. ...and also cut the way you request.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nate:
So to answer your question, I have to explain a few things first.  I think this is exactly what it is that you are looking for?  If I am wrong, hopefully norm and or farmer jon can chime in and give corrections.

Here is a quick breakdown of weights and cost.  (this is just a guestimate and quick math) and this is split between 2 people.
- Hanging weight of half cow: 405lbs (divided by 2 = 202.5lbs per quarter)
- locker process fee - $281 (divided by 2 = $140.50 per person)
- fee paid to farmer for his cost of the feed - $810 (he charged us $2 per pound of the hanging weight (cost of feed?))
- total - $1091 divide by 2 = $545.5
- $545.5 divided by 202.5 = $2.69 per pound

here's a quick breakdown of the 8 grades of beef according to the USDA:
https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A35098-1187-A9B6-47A6-8D299A8C1630

here is the full breakdown on how the USDA grades beef:
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/production-and-inspection/inspection-and-grading-of-meat-and-poultry-what-are-the-differences_/inspection-and-grading-differences

and here is a general breakdown on what I explained above as well as what kinds of cuts and how many I can expect from ¼ - ½ - or whole cow:
http://www.newgrassfarm.com/ordering-quarters-halves-whole-beef

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=7XQ4WsbgOsmXjwS5haO4BQ&q=what+and+how+many+cuts+can+i+get+from+a+half+a+beef%3F&oq=what+and+how+many+cuts+can+i+get+from+a+half+a+beef%3F&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l2.3866.20623.0.20814.54.51.0.3.3.0.295.6337.1j40j4.45.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..6.46.6120...0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1.0.w7k1emRgG6c

so that is 1 reason why I went this route (because its pennies on the dollar for me to get all of that meat compared to getting it at the store).  the other reason I went this route is as follows.

Typical route that a cow takes from the farm to the store
1. farmer sells cow at stockyard (auction)
2. buyer then sells cow to feed lot/finishing lot or does it himself (don’t know what the stock yards and or finishing lots inject with)
3. cow is then sold to slaughter house
4. cow then goes thru many hands and is sprayed with all kinds of chemicals before packaging to make sure it last for a long time before freezing and to also assist in making it stay red (for prettiness/appeal).
5. sits in store for unknown number of days before you buy it and either put it directly in freezer or keep in fridge for another day or 3…..(who knows how many times that that piece of meat has been frozen and thawed before you got it)

So the way mine went:

1. BIL’s parents raised said cow, so I am aware of how it was raised/treated, what it was fed and what it was injected with (no hormones).
2. it went straight to locker where it was killed, cleaned, halved and hung
3. after 14 days it was processed  and it went straight into my freezer 1-2 days after processing.

OldKooT:
That price is about spot on Nate. Now.... here is reality check.

Grass fed Angus: Buy some feeder calves that are disfigured a little. They can go much cheaper at the sales barn..... Pasture them until market weight on grass..... *free basically and then age, butcher. Last 10 we raised cost us about $.86 a lb in the freezer.

Bear9350:
We also buy a 1/4 side of beef.  Much cheaper and much better quality meat.  I don't remember the exact numbers but I believe it worked out to about $2.60/ pound also.  A co-worker raises beef and we purchase from him.

I grew up on beef from the butcher. This wasn't beef cattle, but dairy cattle that were no longer useful/ well past their prime in the dairy barn that were sent of to be butchered.  When I first left for school and purchased meet from the grocery store I was appalled at the quality and lack of flavor in the meat.  We buy a 1/4 beef and 1/2 hog every year.  Any other meat purchases come from the local butcher here in town.  They do top notch work and their meat is local.  If I pat attention to their sale flyer and can get much better  quality meat at a cheaper price then any grocery store around.

Some day I would like to purchase the 5 or so acres around the house that aren't really part of the bigger field to raise some beef cattle on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version