Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

Laptop GPS

(1/5) > >>

Flyin6:
I thought I'd put this subject here in this neglected segment of our otherwise active website.

So in kitting out the Suburban for the upcoming trip to distant patches of rock and dirt I will obviously be using a GPS quite a bit

I have many options here

1. I could buy an indash GPS/audio unit, but I can also anticipate limitations and a price tag over $1,000

2. I could buy an adaptive indash audio unit which connects to my phone and thus displays a map display and would offer navigation. However that system depends on the phone's ability to communicate with cell towers, and those simply will not exist in some of the locations we plan to drive to

3. I could mount a stand alone Garmin, magellan or Tom-Tom system on the dash and literally drive on. That could work virtually anywhere but those lack topo information so for the drive up and over the divide, 15 miles north of nowhere, it would offer little if anything

4. Which brings me to the system I am contemplating. I thought about mounting a mid sized laptop on a stalk in the cab, much the same as in police cars. Then add the GPS processor/antenna, and flush the hard drive with road and topo maps to my hearts content. I would also have MS Office and the ability to fetch the interweb to find out which Dave is screwin' with my website at the moment.

Leaning at the moment toward option numba quatro, The Delorme systems come to mind. A do it all system, they also garner some good negative comments along with their sizeable capability.

So I'm wonderin' which system should I equip "Raven 8" with?

Nate:
Why spend all that money on some additional electronics when you can either get a garmin unit that is about the size of a smart phone and has topo maps.....or down load an app for your phone that has topo maps that can be used offline?

When i went touring canada, i changed my data package to unlimited with also gave me international usage.  My phone was my gps that was placed on the dash......and it did show back roads in BFE maine when i took a wrong turn??????

JR:
I used to use "MS Streets n Maps" on a laptop before our smart phones took over.

Used a simple USB antenna and worked awesome. Showed much more than just a driving GPS.

I read in some forums many still like them as you have a larger screen and a full laptop that is easy to see.

I made a simple post that bolted to the front seat bolt on the pass side and hung over the center.

wyorunner:
I agree with Nate Chief. Use your phone (or ipad), download maps.

Prime example childhood friend and newly wed wife drove to Tierra del Fuego/Ushuaia (I think they’re the same place). They were on the road almost two years, and ultimately ended up relying on a phone as their GPS, simply just downloaded maps sections for the locations they were headed, and off the went.

One resource I'm sure many here know about is iOverlander, kind of a overland accommodation thing. App for the phone and of course their website to peruse before punching out.

Here is a googlemaps offline option:

https://www.cultofmac.com/414627/how-to-save-offline-maps-with-google-maps-for-iphone-how-to/

Another option with wide variety of usage, seems like a great option really. Look at this one before buying a laptop. The app on the phone costs 1.99, im sure the maps in the app also cost but Im unsure how much that could end up costing, but they have 4.99 on their website.
http://gps.motionx.com/ipad/overview

Flyin6:
Well this is certainly interesting, and unexpected. I thought the laptop was the go to plan, but seems as though the smart phone is it. Well, as long as it operates in a GPS mode without the use of towers for remote locations, I guess, why not?? One thing I do like about that is the ability to just connect the thing to the onboard multi function dash mounted display and use that device's larger screen.

On thing, though. Last year Duane used the Delorme app with his device (Phone) which showed his location 24/7. I flight followed with him so that someone always had his location. I'd call him and tell him there was a ravine ahead of him or something like that because I could zoom in and look ahead and see actual overhead photos of where he was... Was nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version