PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

My New Land "Raptor Ridge"

(1/291) > >>

JR:
I have been looking on/off for several years in the Reno area for land. I need to get out of Ca and all the things they keep doing and telling me I can do. Taxes and cost of living is another reason. I retired a few years back and this has been something I wanted for a long time.

My parameters are 2-3 hours driving time so day trips or working weekends don't kill me. Reasonable 12 month access and no HOA. No dirt plots or on a main road.

Dirt is going for nothing, like 5k for 20 acres, nicer lots are going for 1-2k/acre+, real nice is like buying in Ca, nuts and they had HOAs!

Talked to several real estate agents who pointed me to the Palomino Valley area north of Sparks. I had been looking around Carson/Mindenville/Dayton, but prices were nuts and much of it was dirt! The area looked OK about 20 min north of Sparks. Plus it had all the shopping you could want within 20 minutes driving.

I had set my mind to 20+ acres and started searching al the land sites. Most lots were around 40 acres. Some were way out and way up high, others were low in the valley but over priced since it was "horse" land. Several caught my eye, but you really don't know until you look.

I searched and found about 10 lots to look at this weekend and was not thrilled by any. They were OK, but either to far our, up high or had terrible access.
This was my second time up there feeling it out. Talked to a couple owners up there that loved it, asked about wells and the POA (basically a road maint. agreement)

While up on 1 of the higher lots I looked down and saw an area that looked pretty nice. I figured what the heck, lets go look. Saw a few lots with real estate signs, but most were lots right on the road or with houses (out of budget) and I drove a "for sale by owner sign" and thought what the heck. Called and asked about the lot. It was 52 acres for just under 2K per. He tells me where it is and I go up. About 10 minutes later he shows up points out where it really is and has the maps to go with it, lot right next store was just purchased.

So with that I walked around really seeing what it was. With what I had seen I really liked this. Rolling mountain area desert with plenty of vegetation, no real trees though. Power right to the edge and the road stopped there too. Couple houses on the next ridge with good roads and the road ends at power poll.

Called the guy back, we met, I made an cash offer and cut a deal well under the 2K per acre. Left a small deposit and and supposed to sign in a week.

52 Acres, power, no water or septic. Only real issue is water which I will haul in for awhile. Wells I am told are going 600 ft to the tune of 20-30k. Septic I can do.

Now a day later and I still fell really good about it. Washoe has some great mapping with dead on lat/long GPS. Kids and wife like the info too, win/win  :laugh:

Couldn't get far back enough for full pics but here are some teasers. Look at Sparks, Pyramid Lake, hwy 445 and 443, place and X over that and you are close. Well as close I will put here  :cool:

JR:
On the above pics, first is the faded sign that caught my eye and the road up to the area. Very good road but maybe not for cars in weather.

2nd is the end on the road. Prop goes right from the right edge to just under the peak, 1/4 mile.

3rd is road going in and the guy working the lot next store. (there is a bobcat in there)

rpar86:
To me, being from the PNW, that looks like a barren wasteland! Congrats on the purchase JR. Wife and I hope to find some land sometime in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR:
Yep, if your used to that it does. It is not always the land, it what you get because of it.

Bigdave_185:
Looks good!!  How much elevation change does your place have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version