VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Drones, Boats, Flying and Floating Things

A new project

(1/5) > >>

oklawall:
My daughter brought this boat for me to try and get it running and use able. Her grandfather willed it to her but it sat in a pasture for 5 years before he pasted away and she got the boat. She has cleaned out several mouse nest, leaves and stuff from sitting. The boat is a 1996 Lowe 17' with a 1996 Johnson 50 HP engine. I have found the mice have eaten the wires for the ignition switch, the dash mounted fish finder, rear nav lights and the vacuum line going to the speedometer. Along with both seat hinges broken, the engine will run away and the only way to kill it is pump the primer until you flood the engine(vacuum /air leak some place), and there is a parasitic drain on the main battery.  I'm sure more to come with questions because I have never worked on a boat before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TexasRedNeck:
With that much wrong, I would start from scratch.  All new wiring to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wyorunner:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on July 21, 2019, 09:40:46 PM ---With that much wrong, I would start from scratch.  All new wiring to start.

--- End quote ---

Possibly use what you can of the old wires to pull new wires into proper locations?

cj7ox:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on July 21, 2019, 09:40:46 PM ---With that much wrong, I would start from scratch.  All new wiring to start.

--- End quote ---

I agree. I had to do this years ago, when my dad and I bought a boat in similar condition. I bought a couple spools of wire, and just started replacing the existing, one by one, until I had replaced them all. I'm no electrician, but small boats are very simple.

Sammconn:
Do a complete redo like these guys are suggesting.
It will be the only way to find all the faults in the wiring.
Do yourself a favour as well and pull an extra couple wires for future.

Weathering may be some of the problem as well. Rubber these days ain’t what it used to be.
Depending there should be conduit of some sort that routes the wiring.
You’ll have to tear down some interior to find it. Then it should be fairly straight forward.

The motor will be something simple. Clean the carbs and go through the rubber lines.

Good luck and have fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version