VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Duratrac update

(1/3) > >>

wilsonphil:
I bought 4ea new 285/70/17 Duratrac's load range E, build date late 2015 for my RamCharger I managed to put about 25K on the RC before it got rolled, I never had a problem never got a flat ran them around 45-50psi and the RC weights in a little over 7K lbs tires were about 40-50% remaining. 

I then transferred these tires over to my 03 Ram 2500 and have added an additional 10K miles but I had noticed the tread was starting to chunk pretty bad and getting noisy on the freeway, I'm assuming this is mostly from the weak limited slip which lets lots more spinning in the rear as the rear tires are chuncking way worse than the fronts.  Tires are currently around 30%tread life am I was already looking for replacements.

So this past weekend we were going to Paraglide from a new area and to get there you have to take a very extreme trail or road of rocks/boulders.  Six people in the truck loaded with all of our gear.  I have to say these trucks are pretty capable and I only had to back up twice to get a better line.

Any way not sure what exactly caused it but I got a flat on the rear, no big deal I got the spare down and away we went, came back down the trail and didnt see anything wrong and we went to a diffrent site, once we got there now the other rear tire was on it way to going flat, luckily I have an air compressor aired it back up and headed home.

Once home took both tires over to the tire place and he confirmed what I had thought the tires were just getting to the point they were not as plyable anymore, one hole was large about 3/16 of an inch and the other one was pin hole sized, both were patched and both are holding air.

So now im on the hunt for new rubber and I was very happy with the Duratrac's so I might just go back with them.  I post some picture of the tires in their current state.  but can complain with the performance of this tire with what it was put thru over the last 4 yrs.       

stlaser:
Hard to beat on a Jeep and good to hear they do well on heavier vehicles. I just upgraded the excursion to cooper atp’s as I didn’t need a tire on it that aggressive.

Nate:
I have been seriously looking at the general grabber ATX or the AT2

Flyin6:
I have been seriously considering the Kanati trail hogs which share the same pattern as the GoodYear Duratracs for like half the price. They make a load range E tire in the 37" fitment as well as a plethora of other sizes. Give em' a look-see.

KensAuto:
I hate to jinx it,  but I believe these Grabber X3's are the best tires I've ever owned.  Smooth but not spongy.  Did better in greasy mud than my Nittos, bfgs, and swampers ever did.  All the rain we drove through on the last trip didn't phase them (no hydroplaning) and are holding the balancing so far, up to 110 mph. A little noisy but livable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version