TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

The Other Dave’s house

(1/17) > >>

dave945:
Thought I would start my own thread about the house we moved into two years ago. We’ve already done some work on it, but I’ve got some more projects I’m getting into and I figured it would be good to have somewhere to ask questions and get input(besides from my wife, even though that is the only real input that really matters).

So first off, a little background: in September of 2107 we moved into this house. It is about 5400 square feet , about 4900 is on the ground floor and 500 is in a single upstairs room.  From what I’ve gotten from the son of the previous/original owner, it was built in early 80s. The majority of the framing is 2x6 except for a few interior partition walls. Four bedrooms, 2.5 baths.
It also has a 6000 sqft garage attached that has two half baths in it.

There is also a 1000 sqft guest house, one bedroom one bath with garag and basement space under it.

All on 63.6 acres of beautiful Kentucky land.
Attached are floor plans of the house and garage, as well as a layout of how it all sits together.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave945:
So here’s one of my current projects. The dining room off the kitchen has a step down into it. I’ve taken out the wall between them so now I need to bring the floor up to match the kitchen. It is almost exactly 5.5 inches so now I need to figure out what combination of framing and subfloorI need to use to bring the floor up (5.5inches) to match before putting down new hardwood flooring.
Any thoughts?

Bob Smith:
A table saw would do it for sure.

dave945:
Are you saying just rip down 2x6s to about 4.75 and drop 3/4 inch sub looting on it and call it good.  Simple solutions sometimes go right by me.

stlaser:
Yes ^^^^

If you think water will ever be an issue use treated lumber ripped down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version