WEAPONS > Ammo & Reloading

5.56/.223 reloading

<< < (3/3)

TexasRedNeck:
So now that you’ve got a ton of fully prepped brass its time to get loading.  How and what you do here is dependent on what you are loading for.

I still like 55gn ball, M193 especially since I doubt I’ll use an AR beyond 100 or 200 yards.  In all likelihood it will be 25-75 yards.

I also like 62 gn tungsten core M855 as well.

So my first step to trying to recreate standard velocity ammo so terminal performance and trajectory tables didn’t vary greatly, was to get some known factory loaded M193 and M855 and shoot it over a chronograph to aid in development of a quality reload recipe.

I used a 16LMT monolithic upper and use that consistently for ammo development so the results are all relative.

Shortly I will show the chrono data used as a starting point.

And while its not necessary, I invested in ballistic software that helps model internal ballistics, powder burn rates, and muzzle velocity.  The software is Quick Load and I highly recommend it, although it does tend to be a bit on the conservative side (which you would imagine with liability of loading too hot)

It has quite the bullet and powder library to choose from an allows adjustments to things like seating depth/COAL, barrel length etc.

If you develop loads its a very useful tool without listening to some dumb redneck on a website talk about his “favorite recipe”

https://www.neconos.com/category/Software-2

Added bonus is that once you develop your load you can export to Quick Target for external ballistics and trajectory tables to help you dial in long distance loads, wind drift, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JR:
Great info  :likebutton:

TexasRedNeck:
Oh just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course those familiar will note the powder is a pistol powder but more on that later

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version