WEAPONS > Ammo & Reloading

5.56/.223 reloading

<< < (2/3) > >>

stlaser:
Nice write up Charles  :likebutton:

I ordered some powder today and picked up a few small rifle primers again via a local auction my buddy was attending.

Middle child leaves for college in 9 days and oldest moves out in 15 days so we’ll be playing musical bedrooms. Youngest gets best bedroom and wife and I each get a project room so all my equipment will be getting setup shortly.

oklawall:
Great write up

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JR:
 :likebutton: :likebutton:

TexasRedNeck:
So now that we’ve talked about tools let’s start with the basics. Brass prep for 5.56

Starts with visual inspection of the brass. Looking for cracks, bulges splits etc.

Then tumble to clean using your choice of tumbler and media.

Then it’s time to de prime and size

For 5.56 once fired mil brass it’s impossible to process all in one pass( though some say a 1050 can do it with 8 stations).   I set up a separate tool head on my Dillon 650 just for prep and the a separate tool head for loading.

This run of tumbled brass goes through the de priming and sizing die and then through the trim die.  Rifle brass, especially if its shot from an auto loader or full auto tends to stretch more.

So I make it a point to trim to length during the first pass. It also helps make sure all the ammo is consistent.

The Dillion RT trimmer trims to length with a cuttter as the brass is inserted.  There is a hose for a vacuum attachment to catch the shavings.

When it comes out of this pass it’s been tumbled, de primed, sized and trimmed to length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRedNeck:
A case gauge is a must have. You use it to set the sizing die and trim length. Start with setting the sizing die.  The lower you screw the die into the tool head the tighter the sizing. Using the gauge check how deep the case sits.  There is a groove.  If it sits above the top of the groove the die needs to be adjusted down.  If it sits too low, below the bottom of the groove, adjust the die up and toss that case.

Once that is set you can adjust the trim die so that the top of the case sits no higher than the highest part of the case gauge or lower than the lowest part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version