VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

1984/5 Yamaha Tri Zinger60

(1/5) > >>

Bigdave_185:

After nearly twenty years I found the old Yamaha tri zinger that my best friend has as kids.  I tracked down the school teacher that the neighbor sold it to, he had it rebuilt at some point and his son had it.

The Son had it in a storage shed for years n years.   I now have it for $400 bucks
 Pardon the torn down photo, I got a little excited to see what I needed to order

Purchase list so far
 Amazon : makuni carb replacement with throttle cables and all.

RMATV: fuel cab
                   Fuel and drain hoses

Need to source :
 Tires
 Wheels
 Some plastics if possible

First sight came with good news.  A cup of fuel and a little starter fluid it fired up to an idle pretty easy.

The throttle and carb are completely gummed up and a replacement carb is only $22 bucks so I ordered it with complete cables (delivered Friday)

The spark plug looks good but I will replace it anyway later on.

The question I have folks is can I delete or reroute the oil injection pump and use the same mixed fuel I use in my other bikes?

I removed the plastics and wiring harness out of my way.  I removed the spring/throttle cable assembly from the injection pump,  there is no electrical connection what so ever ( I believe the Yamaha blaster had a wire to a dummy light to say you needed to add oil) that leads me to believe I need to do anything other than fab a block plate /cap to cover the shaft from the motor?

Suggestions. Knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilsonphil:
This brings back memories, I had 86 KLX250 that I wish I still had.

Anyway you are 100% correct all you have to do is blank it off and run premix.  If I’m not mistaken they used to sell kits for doing that.

Farmer Jon:
Tri zinger is a very fun little toy. If the oil pump still works you are better off using it. But you can disable it and use mixed gas.

Bigdave_185:
Ok replaced the oil injection with this

Installed my amazon carb

Notice any differences in parts?

The carb would allow it to run at wide open throttle but just barely.  With out the float being able to manipulate the first jet, no idle,   The other adjustments are honestly to short.    Going to see about sourcing a new carb of higher quality,

But it runs.  It rotates the tires. 

Bigdave_185:
Further update

Found out why the new Yamaha Genuine part carb would not run

The exhaust pipe was 90% plugged with oil.   I had given up and taken it to the local shop.  They discovered it and burned it out with a torch

It now runs  via video https://youtu.be/1RipuVINS6w

I ordered some new tires as these are not holding air at all, bald as You can see.

The air/fuel mixture is off as I discarded the air box for a direct to carb filter.

Sanded the plastic today in preparation for a friend to put on some black automotive paint. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version