VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Federal Couragia M/T

(1/7) > >>

Flyin6:
Ordered another set of tires for the Silverado duramax

I use my truck quite often to tow and ot drive and tow off road. Some of the situations I find myself in are getting pretty sporty. Not just driving on dirt and sometimes muddy roads, but driving on very off camber hillsides while pulling a trailer on slippery and muddy surfaces.

Recently I drove down a field to load up a couple thousand pounds of firewood into my dump trailer which weighs several thousand pounds empty. Coming out in low range I hardly spun a tire and felt very "Sure-Footed"

Now because of the primitive nature of the road into the farm and some of the trails, the BFG's I currently use have suffered from some chunking and cuts from all the exposed rocks. They have never failed and have delivered great traction, but they are now under 50% tread height, some trending less than that, so it's time to replace them.

Unlike every other time, I would purchase five new tires, but this time I will select the best of the tires remaining and use it as a dedicated spare, and just buy four tires.

Further the BFG's were load range "D" but carrying a hefty 3,600 each but that became less than adequate recently. Having to occasionally pull 16,000 pounds of trailer and rubber track loader. I definitely need to step back into load range "E" tires.

Now because no mud tire I have EVER owned has lasted long, I am not going to pour a ton of money into $300-$500 tires anymore. With that Grizzly rear axle locker, tire life on the rear is questionable at best, especially considering I have 1200 odd ft/lbs of torque pushing against the planet through those orbs of rubber. Because of those factors I decided to select an inexpensive tire and give them a shot.

This time around it will be Federal Couragia M/T's which I hear get the job done, and typically noisy, and have average treadwear

I was able to purchase four 37X12.50R18 from walmart for a cost effective $974 total. Mounting and balancing will cost me $16.50 a tire more, but I think that's OK

stlaser:
Popular here in hippyland, I’ve never ran them. I like good tires and have a hard time with off brands when it comes to tires.

TexasRedNeck:
Score one for the chinaman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlaser:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on November 16, 2019, 08:34:58 AM ---Score one for the chinaman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Well, it’s an off road tire. Lots of them are built outside the US. Kind of a given.....

Flyin6:
Two of them are already in

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version