VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

General Grabber ATX

(1/3) > >>

Nate:
so I am just over 2 years and 50K miles (49,600 actual) on the GMC and it has come time to put some new shoes on her.  The original tires that came on the truck were goodyear wrangler sr/a LT265/60R20 load range E.

For the most part I have been pretty vigilant about rotating the tires every 5K miles and keeping them aired at about 65-70 psi unloaded and 80 psi when loaded and pulling my big trailer.  The wear is pretty even all around and I have only had 1 issue.  The 1 and only issue I had was when I was coming back from Jon's massive farm shop while working on my trailer roof, I must have caught the edge of something along the way and gashed my side wall almost all the way thru.  I am truly impressed that I didn't get a massive blow out and end up injured or have damage of some kind, which is a testament to the strength and durability of these goodyear's.  I was a little cheap at the time and stopped at the local used tire joint and picked up a used tire (exact one) with the same amount of tread left, had it mounted and balanced for $60.  So at 50K on the goodyear's I am down to 6/32nds....time for them to go!

So in my searching and watching what you all are putting on, etc, etc, etc.....I have decided to go with a set of general Grabber ATX.  These come with a 50K warranty, 3 peak certified and ready to accept studs (not that i need them) with no prepping.  these things come at 16/32nds, sipped, very quiet (surprisingly) for an AT tire, excellent traction in the icy rain (which I drove home in the day I got them), etc.  specs side by side are basically identical, so I cant complain or argue that one is better than the other (for now).  I picked these up for just under $1K all 4 mounted, balanced, etc. 

so as time progresses, I will keep this thread updated.

stlaser:
Nate, you’re a better man than I. I wouldn’t be able to resist a larger tire size with those big wheel wells!   :wink:

Nate:
shawn, I really have no desire to modify this truck.  the amount of money it takes to get such minute gains is just stupid and not cost effective in any way, shape or form!

Bigdave_185:
I think that pickup looks great as she sits. The wheels are good looking as anything out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRedNeck:
Good looking truck Nate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version