FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

Show us and tell us about your garden!

(1/13) > >>

Nate:
So if you are putting in a new garden, have an existing garden, have tried and true methods or documented failures!

Please share with us!

Nate:
So let me start.

2 weeks ago i rented a tractor with a box mower and a 6' pto driven tiller.  I cut down this B.S. prarie grass and i rough cut in a 44' x 27' spot for a garden.

Now, this land was a field 24 years ago before this H.O.A. was started and this half+ acre behind my house (which is ours) has never been touched/broken for roughly 30 years.

Nate:
So after letting it dry for 2 weeks...

This 44' x 27' piece of land tried really hard to not let me win!

But in the end, after i gave my buddies 30 year old tiller a little love and maintenance....

I tightened up a few wigglely/loose nuts and bolts, cut out all of the twine and wire that was wrapped around the tines and added a little oil to the case.  It bogged down a bit in 1 or 2 places and the belt screeched at me.....so i will take a look at that and see if it can be tightened up or needs a new one.

the land lost the battle.  I will caveat that statement with...it took me 6 times going over it.

I will now give it a 2 day dry and hit it again thursday afternoon/evening to hopefully break the medium chunks on down into really small chunks and smooth dirt.

Nate:
Hopefully Sat or Sun wendy and i can get some seeds in the ground.

Whos next?!

stlaser:
I’d tell you about ours but it’s a very sad story..... :embarrassed:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version