VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Engine/Trans swap

(1/8) > >>

Flyin6:
OK, lets talk about an engine swap into my 2002 Suburban 2500.

Now that I have been driving it for awhile, but still have not towed the camper I built with it, I have to following observations:

It does have good low end torque for a gasser.

Although the engine is supercharged/Cam/Heads?tune it still doesn't have the power that my much less modified LML duramax has

It is running at too high of an RPM for a cruise at anything above 65 mph, it just starts to feel uncomfortable

The fuel mileage is horrendous. Not checked, but gross estimates has it around 10 at best.

So I can do one of two things,

I can stay with what I have and drive slow, refuel often, carry a bunch of added fuel cans, make a lot of noise

Swap to a diesel and a transmission with a much deeper overdrive. The 4L80E has a .75

Flyin6:
Second part:

I will consider a straight up Duramax/Allison swap which although costly would probably the easiest and stay sort of stockish

Looking at other possibilities, I am toying with the idea of a (No kidding) moderately built 12 valve backed by an Allison 1000

Now the first is pretty straightforward. Find a donor/harness/trans and go for it. Rebuild like everything install and do some adapter harness

With respect to the 12 valve, I kind of like the dirt simple mechanical simplicity. It's not an electronic motor. It is barely an electric motor. It would run at a respectable engine speed.

4.88 axle ratio, 34.8" tire, 75 Mph, .614 OD = 2170 RPM

So that is liveable and 75 MPH is reasonable. A 12 valve would negate any expensive injectors, ever, no tuning, very little in the way of an adapter harness, and the fuel mileage should be 20 or better under ideal conditions.

Even though it is an 1100 lb chunk, coupled with a 330 lb allison, the torque this thing would make in a moderate trim of say 1000ish would propel the burb effortlessly. It would last forever, it would not be subject to EMP if i could shield the trans harness, there are parts everywhere, and it is really a one and done.

So lets talk about this possibility as a autumn/winter project

Bigdave_185:
I feel like all of this is going in circles.   The dodge was supposed to be this, then that got sold for reasons.  The burb was improved version.   

Keep the burb as is. Buy a excursion and swap it, all the size, better running gear and more space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
Factory gearing back in the burb.

There, just saved you countless dollars and frustration.

Now, may I be so bold to recommend a raise based on the above?

stlaser:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on June 26, 2020, 02:55:17 PM ---Factory gearing back in the burb.

There, just saved you countless dollars and frustration.

Now, may I be so bold to recommend a raise based on the above?

--- End quote ---

:likebutton: :likebutton:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version