VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

Honda Talon S x S

(1/4) > >>

Flyin6:
Well, Don has been berry, berry busy this past July 4th weekend

It actually started last week when I decided to invest in something that doesn't overheat every other hour and mostly just run and produce smiles/miles.

So off to the Honda dealer I went

Now I have been poking my nose in and around side by sides ever since I sold my slow John deere thing.

The local polaris/ Cam-an store has just not impressed me. The used side of that dealership looks like a dirty junkyard. Leaking diffs, klunky axles and scratched and cracked everything. And the local FB marketplace is chocked full with used red for sale. Consequently, although the Polaris offerings are now in the low 180HP range, I have been evaluating just how many of those ponies I may employ at any one time. Not very many is my conclusion.

Our trail system is expansive, probably only bettered by the vast spaces out west. From my sisters house in the Daniel Boone National forest one can ride 90 miles north to the kentucky river and south well into Tennessee. I believe 750 miles of new trail, all free, btw were added just this weekend.

So a great trail rig that can negotiate forests, water, sand, mud, steep inclines that rise a thousand or more feet is what is needed. Only the occasional field offers one the opportunity to step on the skinny pedal and let er' rip.

My choice was the Honda Talon.

I like it because it is just an outstanding machine and is the first not to have that awful belt drive junk. It comes with a six speed, semi-automatic, dual clutch transmission with paddle shifters, 1000cc's and something around 105HP.

A few days ago I purchased a 2021 Talon 1000X with the electric Fox Shocks. The "X" is set up at 64" wide and is mostly at home in the narrow trail system of the thousands of square miles of national forest we have around here.

It has a powder coated blue frame with white over blue paint. It will be the one my wife uses. SHe picked up a bright pink helmet to accompany and protect her noggin

Flyin6:
The thing is amazing! I looked at Cam-an, Yamaha (which was pretty cool with that 3-cyl power plant, the new Kawasaki Terex KDX green monster which was the roomist, but has a belt and only goes 66 mph downhill with a tailwind and is a first gen. We looked at the Polaris general and razor and based on the tonnage of broken parts reports from owners, we passed them up. I was interested in that six speed in the honda and the dirt pillar of salt reliability of the honda.
The clincher came after talking to some cycle shop service managers who to the man agreed the Honda is just the best with respect to reliability. Only one reported a leaking front diff seal and no others had ever performed a warranty claim, and they have no recalls

Flyin6:
We spent the weekend four wheeling up in the Daniel boone National Forest with, of all things, my 2500 Silverado! The fakin suburban overheated again and I damn near set it ablaze. I was so friggin piffed at it, I just left it and took the chevy truck.

On the way back we stopped by a cycle mega store where I purchased a second Honda Talon. This one, intended to be my personal vehicle is the "R" model which has a track width of 68".

It will be delivered later this week and will shortly thereafter find its first use up the side of a kintuckee mountainside.

Mine is green and is a 2020 Talon 1000R

TexasRedNeck:
Nice score.  Ive been looking for a while and wonder what would be a good compromise between recreation and working SxS based on your research? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KensAuto:
I sure like those Talons, even though I've never been in one, just watched videos on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version