PERSONAL READINESS > Bug-Out Bag and Camping gear

Cold weather camping on a budget

(1/10) > >>

Farmer Jon:
I am looking ahead to January. There is a winter campout the Nebraska preparedness group goes on every year. I went last year, its basically Scout camp for adults. Last year I took my camper because if they all turned out to be a bunch of weirdos I could turn a key and leave quickly at any time. Long story short I made a few friends that I kept in contact with through the year. This time I am bringing my son and a tent.

I dont have a North Face or Cabela's budget. We are Ozark Trail people. I dont know what I am going to do for a tent yet. I have a Ozark trail teepee tent that I though would be cool but it sucks. I hate it. My other tents are plum wore out from years of use and abuse. I dont know why I even keep them around.
I have some ideas for sleeping pads. Some sleeping pads get pretty pricey. Remember, I have to buy gear for myself and my son so the price doubles.

Imagine you are making a double bed on the ground. I am looking at getting a couple of these military surplus self inflating sleeping mats https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-self-inflating-sleeping-mat
Or a couple of these Therm a rest pads  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004532G9Q/ref=twister_B07F36CSK8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I would put the pads on the bottom. Then a quilt from home and/or the two wool blankets my Uncle brought home from the Coast Guard. Then some reflective insulation. Then sleeping bags and over the bags another good heavy quilt if needed.   https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/radiant-barrier/reflectix-r-3-7-reflective-insulation-24-x-25/bp24025/p-1444452049106-c-5778.htm

I have never tired a mummy bag I really dont think I would like one. I have had a 0 degree Coleman bag as a teenager in Boy Scouts. I think thats what I am going to get again. They run about a $100 a piece. That is for a big and tall size. At 6 ft I bottom out most cheaper bags and leave my shoulders uncovered.

So that puts me up to $80 or so for pads, $200 for bags. The reflective insulation it is $25. I can count Zane's bag as a Christmas gift so that helps. I am going to get him an adult bag because hes 10. In a few years he will need one anyway.

We already have adequate foot wear, sleepwear and coats and such. So, that just leaves shelter. I am looking at nothing smaller than a 6 person tent. I have another boy that will be going with as soon as hes a little older. 3 people and your gear will fill a 6 person tent real quick. I have no preference over cabin tent vs dome tent. I have had both and like each one equally.

All this shopping just makes me want to take my ratty old cabin tent full of holes. Throw a tarp over top and grab 6 quilts from the house and call it good.

Nate:
Give me a call, i have what you are looking for and you can borrow it if you want.

Bigdave_185:
More info needed

Snow?

The tent is mute if you have a tarp.  I have on multiple occasions used a doubled up tarp over a tent and closed in to keep weather out it works well

As for your pad. 

Cardboard as a base layer, no air mattress it gets cold making you cold or humidity caused by your heat hitting the cold

The reflective pad is a good idea.

Sleeping bag

https://tetonsports.com/product/deer-hunter-35%CB%9Af-sleeping-bag/

We have three of these and they
Are great!!!

Remember to sleep in less and if the kids insist on cloth put on dry fresh cloths right as you climb in the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR:
Yes, layers are your friend. Scouts do a Dec Yosemite trip every year, year before was Tahoe. I have a 0 bag, but you still need layers and no more mummies for me, I need XL.

Yep, a tarp will get a normal tent through OK, but have good ground cover. I also got clip on spikes for my shoes.

Farmer Jon:
Its hard to have more info other than its Nebraska in January. It might be 30 degrees it might be -10. I am going to plan Like its -10. I hope there is snow but who knows.

Cardboard base layer is a great idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version