WEAPONS > Firearms

What shotgun do you guys prefer?

(1/10) > >>

rcampbell:
Looking for a home defense type of shotgun. Thought about maybe an older wingmaster with a new barrel, or a 590A1, any one here prefer one over the other? Or would you recommend anything else? Don't wanna go broke on a Benelli M4, though they are pretty sexy!

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: rcampbell on October 23, 2014, 07:14:47 AM ---Looking for a home defense type of shotgun. Thought about maybe an older wingmaster with a new barrel, or a 590A1, any one here prefer one over the other? Or would you recommend anything else? Don't wanna go broke on a Benelli M4, though they are pretty sexy!

--- End quote ---

Can't go wrong really with an Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. You can find used ones when people want something different. That means you can get them for a bit cheaper, and then upgrade them, it's not too hard to find parts for either. Cabela's or Gander Mountain (or any sporting goods store) will have a lot of parts to upgrade, from barrels,stocks,sights,chokes and etc.

My opinion, why spend beaucoup money for something, then not be able to afford the shells to fire it?

Flyin6:
I agree with Bobby

For many decades the US Military only had Mossbergs and Remingtons.

So it got down to where you liked the safety. Remington in a trigger block, located on the trigger housing, and Mossberg on top of the receiver.

Me, Mossberg all the way. I know to find the top of the receiver, push forward and pull trigger
And now there are some aftermarket big ole' honkin replacement safety's that would be hard to miss.

When I trained at BlackWater USA twice for week long shooting instruction, in the shotgun phase, they laid our a table of, you guessed it, Mossberg's and Remington's. During the one I did in February, I would have to shoot, drop, roll, shoot, rack, shoot. I was rolling over frozen puddles that weren't always frozen. The seals there knew which ones weren't and there was no way that a SOAR pilot wasn't going to take a cool bath early in the morning.

I knew it was coming so I always planned for the shotgun to go in the deepest part, keeping some of me out of that stinging cold water. Even though my gun had water, and ice and sand all over and in it, it always fired.

My long gun in the D-Max truck is a Mossberg 930 automatic.

Why automatic? because I learned early on that should you crash something...In my case they were helicopters, in yours, perhaps your car or truck. When that happens a lot of the time you end up breaking something like an arm. So if you have a two handed gun, then you have to train yourself to use it with one hand.
An Automatic uncomplicates all that business...safety-trigger.

So if you go with a pump, I'd suggest you alternately tape your dominant then nondominate arm to your side with some duct tape and shoot, rack, reload and clear malfunctions. Do it until you are comfortable, then switch to the other appendage

Have fun!

I only train a few guns
I already know the M4 series so that's a given
I carried an AK-47 in haji land as well, I know it too
I carried a Mossberg pump shotgun in spec ops, actually this exact one!
I like the Saiga 12 shotgun...I had one custom built for me
And of course the Mossberg 930

rcampbell:
Some excellent points guys, thanks!! I had never considered that one-handedness aspect, but that is really something to think about for sure. I should really read your book, sounds like you have a pretty exciting life so far. I didn't receive much (read, ANY) shotgun training in my few years in the Navy reserve, though I did get a small amount of rifle and pistol.

Would there be any shotgun specific training exercises I could on my own at my local range? I do a lot of medium to long-range rifle shooting every year, with f-tr and precision stuff. But I don't think my 17lb .308 will be much good for self defence :)

Dawg25385:
I really am a fan of the Mossberg pump. Here's my 590. 8+1 cap. Magpul stock and foregrip, Elzetta light mount. Next thing i'm going to do is put a saddle, sling, and some better sights... But so far i'm really happy with it.

Edit: this pic was taken right after I put the hardware on... the tac-light is now wayyy further forward, and on the other side of the barrell and tube for easy thumb manipulation since i'm right handed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version