VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Buying a new truck

(1/6) > >>

Flyin6:
First of all, I am not

I did go drive a new High country 2020 3500 single axle, and yes it is a really nice truck

But how nice?

Has more camera angles than I have awards and decorations from 25 years in the Armee. It has seats nicer than any millions of dollars jet I have ever flown. It is very powerful and has at least as many gadgets as the IRS has ways of arrestin' ya for doing your taxes.

So I was driving this thing, and frankly, I need a 3500 really. My 2500 will not legally pull my dump trailer at capacity. Therefore I cannot carry my compact track loader anywhere should I want to dig a hole for someone. My plans for pulling in the future all include pulling heavy loads every once in awhile

But what about that price tag? Heavily discounted into the $70's and starting in the mid $80's, it seems nearly insane to spend that much for a truck. And I have a pretty healthy income, but my first house was only $46,000 and I paid in cash, less than that for my 90+ acre farm! I don't know, but it is flippin crazy what these trucks now command. And even with a good down payment you need to finance for seven years (7 FLIPPIN YEARS) to get a comfortable payment. Keep in mind I have made payments as high as $1,500 monthly at times to buy something big for a short finance term.

For just a couple thousand one can replace rusty panels and repaint. For a couple of thousand, one can replace faulty injectors. The big parts of the engine and trans last for hundreds of thousands of miles...

So...

Buying a new truck has become something which all but the wealthy or crazy will ever consider.

Or am I crazee?

oklawall:
Don,

My 2006 2500 has 370,000 miles on it and yes parts have worn out. The wife thinks I should trade it in and buy a new truck becaue until I retire from DOD I have a 120 mile trip to work and back. The truck being from Oklahoma there is no rust that I can find but she does show her age. But for about $25,000 I can get the drive line, interior replaced  and a paint job. I think the old girl is going to stay around.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sammconn:
Same boat here. I do have a few spots of rust.
My problem is that of my 300+ miles nearly one third is gravel.

No new one for me.

Flyin6:
I just crossed 115,000 miles so everything is in great shape. Has some dents/chips/dings but mechanically I'm doing great. Have two bad glow plugs so a new set of those is inbound at this very moment.

My only issue is that the max I am rated to tow is less than what I need to haul the Kubota around.

Hauling heavy will just not happen because this truck is just too nice to send down the road.

Bigdave_185:
What year kodiak would you have to venture back into to get the capacity you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version