RULES/WELCOMES > Message from the Owner

Forum costs...Here I am again.

(1/5) > >>

Flyin6:
OK, back in 2018 I mentioned that the site costs were becoming something of a minor concern. With annual costs which now exceed $700 for storage and site security, with the latter being the bulk of the expense, I have another huge bill sitting on my desk for renewal.

When I mentioned it in 2018, you the membership responded by paying the tab, and I, well, all of us including the surfers appreciate it all very much. I didn't say anything in 2019 or 2020, and just paid the thing myself because I appreciate what was and continues to go on here. But I am not sure if I should pay this one.

Let me elaborate. I can easily afford to just pay this thing all by myself until it expands to the next level when the costs will start to exceed my comfort zone. I love the work that is getting done here with you men sharpening your fellow Christian. I love the scripture, the prayer, and the good work of the Lord. I like the coaching and I like all the cool discussion and cooking and projects, the political banter, and the openness some people share with the group.

Looks to me like God's work served up in the form of good cookin' and 4-wheel drives! I am pondering trusting in faith that God will support this effort, or setting it quietly aside. I believe that if it is of him and serves him, then he will support this place. But if it is of us, and serves to glorify us, then it would be of man and we should not support an effort to shed any glory on man and take away from Gad. In that I think we would all agree.

Since this crossroads just popped up, perhaps it is time to test this theory. I would personally do that by simply not paying the bill to renew, and at some not so distant date we simply fall into silence. Anyway, that is where my head is on this. It is my forum, but it is supposed to help men and glorify Jesus above us.

I don't know the first thing about making money from a forum, and although I have asked how to do it, I have gotten no answers. So I guess that is where it sits. I feel we could make money from something like advertising, but how? And if so, then how would I allow advertisers and keep them within guidelines. How could I have a girl in a bikini holding up some new gadget in some add pop up here? How could I allow a company who actively also contributes to pro-choice venues to advertise and PROFIT!!! from a place like this.

See what I mean? So, I am going to be in prayer about what to do about this invoice. Do I pay it myself? Do I wait on the Lord through faith to see what he does to keep the doors open? Do I reach out to some sort of organization or mechanism which will make us into a for-profit website? I don't know, so I would ask you to join with me in prayer to find the answer. It's been nearly seven years...Hey, I just realized that seven is the number of God, how interesting.

Feel free to share ideas if you so desire.

EL TATE:
I'm no expert, but some of the resources and suggestions make sense to me.

https://tosbourn.com/backup-making-website-pay/

KensAuto:
Above my pay grade,
but praying is in my wheelhouse.

oklawall:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on April 02, 2021, 02:17:40 PM ---Above my pay grade,

--- End quote ---
I'm with Ken I do good to post pictures but I can pray. Now if you wanted to go the non profit direction I know a few people that maybe able to give some insight

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: oklawall on April 02, 2021, 02:42:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: KensAuto on April 02, 2021, 02:17:40 PM ---Above my pay grade,

--- End quote ---
I'm with Ken I do good to post pictures but I can pray. Now if you wanted to go the non profit direction I know a few people that maybe able to give some insight

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
I do not want to be encumbered by some overseeing government rules. You know like, you can be a nonprofit but you need to apply equal treatment to both worshipers of Christ and those who worship the devil. You know fair for everyone.
Nope, I will either keep this like a business where I state the rules and retain all my powers to tell some hater to take a hike. I'll write the rules and I'll enforce them.
But I think with all this government encroachment, I will need to totally privatize Real Man. I need to make enough from this site to purchase and maintain my own server. I need enough to purchase maintenance and security software, and be able to hire people to chase after bugs. If I had volunteers, perhaps I make them unpaid employees, pay them the same as I pay the rest of you $0.00 a work unit.

Still resting this for now.

So I think the pay due date is June, but need to check. I'd say the run out of time would be something around 30 days thereafter should it come to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version