VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Trailer Roof Maintenance and Repair, 05 Ecliplse toy hauler

(1/17) > >>

JR:
Well, not a vehicle but thought I would throw this in here since it comes to Maintenance.

I have a nice 2005 Eclipse 23ft (measures 24?) Toy Hauler that I got for a song a few years back. It was in great shape, even the roof which is EDM rubber an industry standard. They are supposed to last around 10 years with good maitenance which really just means keep it clean, wipe preservative on it and don't abuse it. Keeping it covered or parking indoors is a big plus. The roofs "wear or age" by the surface oxidizing to a fine powder over the years. Rub your hand over it and you will see!

Anyway mine is almost 10 years old and looked good last year I was up there to wipe it down and treat it. Then a few months ago I saw a mushroom growing both inside and outside on the right side above the awning. So I knocked it off and thought some water got in where the screw are for the awning. Saw nothing and promptly forgot about it. So here it is months later and I notice the wall is a little soft inside the electric bunk beds while I'm storing up some food and watching a movie with the kids (12 year old daughter had 10 girls over for her birthday and we needed out!!)

OK, so I remember the issue with the mushroom and check it out the next day and find 3-4 tears on the edge less than a 1/2 long and it is mushy on the edge. So out comes the knife and I cut the roof just a little in from the edge and find a MESS!!!!!!!!!

The OSB is soft or rotten for about 3 ft going in around 3 inches. SO out comes everything I can get at and leave her open to dry out. I find there are 2 crossmembers there which are a little rotten on the end. As I am cleaning it up I am figuring how to address this damage and keep the walk on roof solid.

It took 2 days of on-off cleaning-cutting and vacuuming until I got it to where I am happy. This also allowed it to dry out well since we were having 80f days while keeping it covered at night. Naturally we got rain just as I was ready to start the repair so it got covered in plastic and taped off for a couple days.

The repair will consist of replacing the OSB cut out now to 4"x48" and adding a 2x2 replacing the 1x2 edging that was stock. That will fill the end of the trusses that were trimmed off. I will layer 6oz FG cloth using epoxy resin (doesn't crack like polyester resin). The resin will act like a great glue and the cloth will add the strength lost on the trusses. Inside I braced the ceiling during the repair to keep things fairly level.

Over this area I will use a small EDM patch that overlaps at least 1 inch on the top and will go under the aluminum drip edge like the original roof. Then I will seal the edges with EDM sealant. Then I will recoat the entire roof that is supposed to give another 10 year life. 

JR:
You can see the overall condition of the roof is OK but then look at the small rips in the last picture.

Then you can see how bad it really looks inside. The last picture shows some cleanup but a lot to go!!

Flyin6:
Now you have me thinking...

I have a one too. Camper with three slides, like 34 feet long I think.

Same rubber roof. I just winterized it a couple daze ago. Daze??? That's what I was in winterizing it in a driving freezing rain with temps near freezing, all the while wondering why I hadn't done it during a nice 70 degree fall day!

Anyway, I think I'll go score one of those cheapo harbor freight tarps and give it a second covering...

Bob Smith:
Glad you found the problem before it sat another winter. Sounds like you know what you are doing, but I will add to be sure the existing rubber is very clean and glued down well and to use the proper primer and application method when doing the final patch.

Did it look like the tears are from contact with something or just an age problem from working against the edge of the OSB? If they were caused because of age maybe need to run some patch material all along both sides at the edges and down under the trim piece before the new roof treatment.

Sure does increase the life span of an RV if it is stored under cover when not in use. Unless you are a full timer the RV spends a lot more time sitting than being used.

JR:
I had gone over the roof a few times and it looked pretty good. Did the scrub filled a few seams on the edges that had lifted and treated it.

The tears I believe were from my kids being up there. It has a ladder in the front (covered now) and the kids thought it was a great way to get onto the house roof. Only about a 2 foot step.

The 3-4 tears were under 1 inch each all in one area about 6 ft from where the kids would jump. I can't say they did but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As long as your roof is white it is doing its job. When you see grey patches it is beginning to wear. Covers or tarps are great, but not if they rub on the roof.

It is nice out now and I am going to open it up and start the repairs, will post a few more pics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version