VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 3-Titan Fuel Tank & SAS]

(1/35) > >>

KensAuto:
Note: As with Part 1 and Part 2, all posts from KensAuto, here forward, are from Flyin6 unless noted and highlighted.
Ken

Look what showed up in the mail!

Yepper, that's 57 gallons of diesel fuel fun!
The last pic says it all
First it is the correct tank
and most importantly, Made in the good ole semi-commie U-S, of A!
No cheapo chinaman or nippan crap in that beauty!

KensAuto:
OK, lets get busy with another project. Actually two projects intertwined. I'll be installing a Titan 57 gallon fuel tank and relocating the AD165 fuel lift pump.
I started with draining the fuel tank. I ran it to below empty so I didn't think there was much diesel left. Wrong! I drained nearly 5 gallons, and managed to save enough inside to pour all over my head, chest, well everything sometime later

Here's the start, blast shield off and things comin' on out. I noted about 20" ground clearance with the near factory setup with the Alligator Diesel sump.

I drained the water separator filter to see how much water was caught up in there after 15,000 miles
I couldn't find a single drop!

Here's the AD-165 fuel pump/filter assembly where I mounted it some time ago. The new fuel tank will soon occupy that space so that is the other part of this project, moving the assembly.
I will place it on the outside of the frame rail about where it currently is. I shouldn't have to extend any lines except possibly the fuel return

KensAuto:
The Air Dog came out easily
After removing it, I pulled off the shield, then cleaned it thourghly

I'll be using the Cat primary fuel filter and a Balwin water seperator with drain when it all goes back together.

Next the factory fuel tank came out for the very first time.
It was not difficult, except to pick out the two retaining clips on the tank return line.

KensAuto:
The Titan fuel tank is a lot bigger!

This is what is inside the factory fuel tank. Mine, of course had the Alligator sump which appears to be in excellent condition.

KensAuto:
Using a 2.75" hole saw, I drilled in the hole for the new sump. Titan provides a nice sump exactly for that purpose.

Oh forgot to mention that Titan fuel tank is a full .260" thick! Not bad!

Then I drilled all the mounting holes and screwed the alignment studs into the inside the tank mounting flanges.

like using axle grease to hold things in place, so I packed some into the slots for the two "O" rings and worked them into the recesses in the sump housing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version