VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

Yet another old Dodge crew cab project (1985 W350 USAF)

(1/46) > >>

OldKooT:
Sometimes things happen in odd or funny ways as well all know. This project beginning has a story. Since I prefer build threads with pictures and lots of quality reading, that's how this will proceed. So before I "explain" the story, a few pictures are in order.

The first picture dates about 10 years ago my wife says. She keeps track of such things so I will go with that.

The second picture is also about 10 years old and was shot while we explored some old logging roads in Idaho.

As seen in the picture's the basic truck specifications were as follows. 500ci/727, Coan converter/205. Axles were Dana 60 up front 4.56/Detroit Locker. Rear was a 14 Bolt 4.56 Detroit Locker. Springs were custom done Alcan's, and rubber was 38.5 Michelin Xml's.

As equipped it has been to Mexico, all over the USA and Canada. It was always a great performer and a reliable old friend.

We parted it out about 8 years ago I guess, all we have now is a cab/frame/one rear door and a title LoL

Next post... the story.

OldKooT:
Ok as promised....the story. Last summer my wife and I built her a Cummins powered 1988 Ramcharger. It really turned out nice.

We were preparing to go to Moab Utah with it last September to hang out with some forum friends and do some exploring/wheeling. Well as life has a way, the truck didn't cooperate and we didn't get done in time for the trip.

So we improvised and we bought a 1991.5 W250 Cummins truck out of a field from a farmer. We drove it home after adding a new battery, tossed 4 new stock sized tires on it, fixed the brake lights, and the leaking master cylinder as well as the missing transmissions mounts, and then headed to Moab. Exactly 7 hours after we bought it. 

Well again we didn't make it... we got as far as Denver my wife felt very ill, and after a visit to the ER, we drove home and pouted a bit.

Now we had a mostly finished Ramcharger, a new to us fist gen Pickup we really didn't need, and two weeks of vacation left. So we drove the new to us pickup to Wisconsin, visited our grand kids and did some back woods exploring/wheeling/fishing and had a grand time.

We talked a lot on that trip and the subject that kept coming up over and over was how much we missed traveling and exploring remote areas with our old Crew cab. So... that was September of 2014.  Here we are February 2015 and we have pulled the trigger..... next post.

EL TATE:
Getting excited over here buddy.  ;D

OldKooT:
Us farmer/ranchers don't have "mission plans" what we do is just improvise in a not so orderly fashion. This will become clear in a few moments.

The intended disorderly project pipe dream as it were: We are going to build a Dodge crew cab. That's our only real plan.

Engine: A VE equipped 6BT. We are most likely going to swipe the engine from my wife's Ramcharger. It's fresh (maybe 2000 miles) it's specs are as follows. I built it to OEM specifications as far as the short block goes. It is balanced, has ARP rod bolts and was lovingly assembled. The head was extrude honed and ported by hand as well. It's O ringed and runs a Hamilton cam also. KDP is killed obviously as well. It also has a few other goodies like better pushrods, valve springs, and a extrude honed ASE exhaust manifold. A Super B turbo, and an accompanying down pipe. The NOS fresh new VE pump has a 3200rpm governor spring, some tweaking to the tuning, and a home ground fuel pin. Oh and some 5x17 Injector also.

Transmission: A brand New crate fresh NV4500. It also has the the 5th gear updated shaft as well. this will also be stolen from my wife's truck.

Transfer case: A rebuilt fresh 205, and possibly if time and cash flow allows a Magnum Box from Off Road Design In Colorado.

Front Dana 60: 4.10 gears, and I think this time we will possibly try a Grizzly Locker. Factory inner axles, and a 35 spline outer axle upgrade should suffice for now. I am still researching the Locker aspect.

Rear axle: 14 Bolt Chevy, 4.10's and a Detroit. I will also do a disk brake conversion as well.

Suspension: Who knows, still thinking about a few options that are on the possible table.

Tires/wheels: 17" 40" tall something or another.

The USAF Dodge crew cabs had almost no interior comfort, were quite basic, and in many regards we are going to continue that concept as we bring this thing back to life. It may just look a lot like a USAF Crew cab with larger rubber, much like the old pictures of it.

Things we always swore we'd change while we drove across N America with it over a decade ago:

Fuel economy/range: The diesel should solve this problem largely. 40 gallons of fuel should solve the rest.

Comfort: It was always fine, but we often wished it had Air Conditioning, so we will add that this go around.

Utiline bed: I about knocked the rear bed sides/tail lights off this truck a dozen times in remote trail situations. I always said it needed a step side bed, and then none of those incidents would have been a issue. So this time, a short step side it will be.

Pto Winch: This will happen, or a 12K Hydraulic, or maybe both LoL But in keeping with my desire to keep this truck parking garage friendly and under 6500lbs, I'd settle for the one.

For now that's about it, I have contacted a media blaster fella about doing the cab in the next month or so you should see plenty of "action" as this thing WILL be on the road before August.

KensAuto:
Sounds like fun!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version