VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

90 Suburban build

(1/8) > >>

akraven:
Well I am going to give this build thread thing a try.  It  won't be uber exotic nor super expensive but might have a few unusual things.  There will be a little bit a flurry  in the beginning but slower after summer gets here. I live on a "homestead" that I have built from scratch and have many more projects to come. Our summers are short so truck projects will go by the wayside as I work on the property .
I have had Land Cruisers for many years with lots of fun with builds along the way. My last one was a '93 that had way too much electronics on it. When that got totaled in a wreck (kid pulled out in front of me) I decide to switch gears a little and went to a little older Suburban.  Some of the reasons were similar to Don's Square D build. I am a retired career paramedic/firefighter as well as outdoorsmen and have always been into being prepared and ready for whatever gets thrown at me. My goal is capable,reliable,comfortable and self-reliant. Similar to a expedition build.
So what I got is a 1990 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton with  350 V-8,Turbo 400,NP 241. Remarkably free of rust ,just two very small spots. I know the TBI has a computer so I need to explore how to keep that going or get a spare. The engine is brand new and the previous owner was an aviation mechanic in the military. Everything on it is new except the AC. The tranny was rebuilt about year ago by a local shop with a good rep.

So my current thoughts are

12/24 volt system to run a ReadyWelder
Invertor to run hand tools
Roof rack
Possible find a way to add a PTO
Cargo drawers convertible to bed in back with 3rd battery for camping
Asst tools,recovery gear and some spare parts stored in it
Ham radio and possibly CB radio
It came with a 8274 but will switch it out for the 12k Warn form the Cruiser. Might put the 8274 on my tractor for logging.
Rear winch
On board shower
On board air of some sort    CO2 vs compressor
Custom by me front and rear bumpers with possible tire or fuel rack
Possible extended fuel tank.
Lift kit
Larger (with-in reason) tires
So there are the opening ideas. I have only had it a short time and still developing and looking at ideas. Here is a pic from the ad that I bought it from

Now we can see what I come up with or ideas you guys come up with that sound good! Always open to ideas.

OldKooT:
That looks like you have a very good starting platform. My son has a barn door 1990 that he's slowly upgrading, and it's proven to be a pretty solid rig out here in dirt roads land.

Looking forward to watching the progress.

JR:
I will enjoy this as a work on my 91.

Is it a T400 or a 4L80? Either way I doubt a PTO has anywhere to be mounted.

Your ECM may run both the motor and tranny. I think mine are seperate units (only 91)

I like all the ideas you have, lets go!

KensAuto:
looks pretty good from this angle!

Dawg25385:
Nice lookin burb! I'm in on this  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version